Sal, will you please take a look at this?

Interesting thread. So is mind-set.
I can relate to the OP, now that I've read the whole thread. I am a perfectionist, as may knuts are, but I have learned go with the flow unless there is a major flaw(s).
I'm curious to hear Spyderco respond.
rolf

Ive seen a lot of topics that everything from the taichung factory is with super tight tolerances, EXCEPT the edges they put on the knives

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

The common complaint is that Taichung sharpens at too steep of an angle. So that's sort of the opposite problem - too little metal removed. Easier for the user to correct that issue. But yeah you're right, Taichung could improve in that area.

I respect the OP's opinion and in expressing it, we may all end up with improved Spyderco knives. That said, I just checked some of my SE Spydies and can't find a single thing wrong. ;)

I have had the opposite experience. Blades from the last couple of years have been more consistent (in a good way). Have I just been lucky? I don't know, but that has been what I have seen. This has been with several each of PM2 and Native 5 LW.

I will post some pics of something tomorrow, OP will be shocked to the core

Oké what I meant, see the picture. This is more steel away then I would sharpen in 3 years. Not quite happy, also the factory edge is very rough.
6be3450b3b2d3eb616cbdab666004a35.jpg

Maybe my standards aren't very high but I'd be completely fine with what you have pictured. Do you mean the knife isn't sharp or that the edge isn't finished to as high of grit as you'd prefer? I mean if it's sharp and without a burr, I don't see an issue. But again, that's just me.

Oké what I meant, see the picture. This is more steel away then I would sharpen in 3 years. Not quite happy, also the factory edge is very rough.
6be3450b3b2d3eb616cbdab666004a35.jpg

Yeah, I wouldn't be happy with that either - personally. Plenty of people would be, but I wouldn't.

I don't care about edge roughness, I can clean that up in a second or two. The steel being sharpened away though, that bugs the ever living crap out of me. I can't for the life of me figure out why the people sharpening are hogging off so much material at the ricasso.

It can only cost them more money in time, and belts.

This didn't used to happen. You can even go back 1.5 years or so in the spydie pic thread and look at the knives. Even then, this wasn't a problem. A large majority of the blades are sharpened well and the steel at the ricasso is left intact. Something has happened in that time frame, and now the majority of the Golden knives come looking like above.....it's not a good change.

Yeah, I wouldn't be happy with that either - personally. Plenty of people would be, but I wouldn't.

I don't care about edge roughness, I can clean that up in a second or two. The steel being sharpened away though, that bugs the ever living crap out of me. I can't for the life of me figure out why the people sharpening are hogging off so much material at the ricasso.

It can only cost them more money in time, and belts.

This didn't used to happen. You can even go back 1.5 years or so in the spydie pic thread and look at the knives. Even then, this wasn't a problem. A large majority of the blades are sharpened well and the steel at the ricasso is left intact. Something has happened in that time frame, and now the majority of the Golden knives come looking like above.....it's not a good change.

I put it up for sale because I can't live with it. And yes I'm serious haha I will find a new one without this sharpening fault.

Mine has that too, bugged me as well. I didn't realize it untill I already used it, or I would have exchanged it for another. So I resigned to just use it as an all around beater.

I think the OP is well within his rights to point out his findings to Sal & co. The slight inconsistency in sharpening discussed here is permeating the entire Spyderco's Golden catalogue, and although it doesn't bother me in the least and I've always assumed it's due to the humans doing the sharpening acting like, well, humans, I'd like to learn if there's another specific reason behind this.

I wouldn't say this is some recent development though, to my knowledge it was always there - below the Military 52100 sprint vs. my oldest Millie, the 2004 CF sprint run and as you can see, this was also happening 13 years ago.

I usually sharpen my knives pretty quick after getting them. I reprofile the edge on a Wicked Edge anyway so this really isn't too much of an issue to me.

I wasn't really even sure what we were talking about until I saw Knifeoholic's pic. The amount that was ground off from the original blank is much more evident in that pic.

We all have our picidillos though.

Well, I got in 4 more knives. 2 Cruwear manixs', a GB2 and my 5th Maxamet manix. (yes, 5th. I've sent 3 back, kept 2)

The 2 Cruwears were so bad I sent them back immediately. The GB2 is pretty much perfect, slight recurve that shouldn't be there but whatever.

The maxamet manix was bad, but at this point I was so frustrated with the situation that I just ground a sharpening choil into the blade so that the issue isn't so noticeable. I really don't like sharpening choils, but whatever. Better to actually use the knife than dislike it every time I look at it.

So that makes 13 of the 17 knives I've gotten in the past 1.5 months that had this issue. I can't believe that I just somehow have the worst luck ever and get all the ones with the issue, that doesn't make sense. But I know that there ARE knives out there without the issue, because I see them posted in the picture threads.

It frustrates me to know that there are perfect blades out there, I just can't seem to get a hold of one of them. It's to the point where I basically won't buy a spyderco unless I can handle it first. Which I hate, because this is by far my favorite brand.

I know most probably don't care, but I do and I really don't think I need to apologize for it. I do ask, Sal, that you *please* get back to how it used to be before so much of the blade was needlessly sharpened away.

My way of getting around the issue staring me in the face. Sharpening choil!

As an aside, check out those patina spots on the maxamet. Looks sweet! Less than 24 hours and it already is starting to patina. Love it!

kamhhxM.jpg

Hm. My new blade seems fine of course I am one of those weirdo's who buys a sprint run to use for a daily work knife so I'm not that OCD. I just wanted to try out a 52100 blade for daily abuse and see how it performs over a few year period so I picked up one of the military 52100's with CF. So far I'm liking it.

I normally don't care about this stuff but I can say that it irritated me when I went to put a 15 dps edge on my Slysz Bowie and the profile of the length of the edge is rounded instead of straight and it's because someone took more off the heel than necessary. It's not a huge deal but it IS a pain trying to line things up and it IS a sign of lower standards. Even on the Bowie from Taiwan it happens. It wasn't really apparent until I went to resharpen it but once getting in there and doing what needs to be done it became really noticeable and yeah, it was something that was annoying and could've been avoided.

I normally don't care about this stuff but I can say that it irritated me when I went to put a 15 dps edge on my Slysz Bowie and the profile of the length of the edge is rounded instead of straight and it's because someone took more off the heel than necessary. It's not a huge deal but it IS a pain trying to line things up and it IS a sign of lower standards. Even on the Bowie from Taiwan it happens. It wasn't really apparent until I went to resharpen it but once getting in there and doing what needs to be done it became really noticeable and yeah, it was something that was annoying and could've been avoided.

Are you gonna stalk Sal :p

Who said its supposed to be straight? Every pic I see and my own don't straighten out as you approach the heel. Continuous belly.

Who said its supposed to be straight? Every pic I see and my own don't straighten out as you approach the heel. Continuous belly.

It's a pain when the edge of the continuous belly gets steeper at the heel and when correcting it to have a continuous 15 degree edge along the length takes extra work. It's a good knife and I'm not putting it down. Just saying it happens. If it was purposeful that they removed a lot of the heel then so be it. Still kind of a pain to correct. Not bad but something I don't really like. It's definitely not crazy enough to cause a big stink about or argue over. We are knife nuts and usually picky and we all have preferences and most of the time if we look hard enough there will be something about ANY knife that we don't like or find annoying or wish was a little different. Just keeping that in perspective. I have talked at length about how overall the knife was great. We all have little annoyances and it probably benefits us to keep that in check or else wind up like the kid crying wolf.

TuabWVL.jpg

UZ6l16V.jpg

Last edited:
It's a pain when the edge of the continuous belly gets steeper at the heel and when correcting it to have a continuous 15 degree edge along the length takes extra work. It's a good knife and I'm not putting it down. Just saying it happens. If it was purposeful that they removed a lot of the heel then so be it. Still kind of a pain to correct. Not bad but something I don't really like. It's definitely not crazy enough to cause a big stink about or argue over. We are knife nuts and usually picky and we all have preferences and most of the time if we look hard enough there will be something about ANY knife that we don't like or find annoying or wish was a little different. Just keeping that in perspective. I have talked at length about how overall the knife was great. We all have little annoyances and it probably benefits us to keep that in check or else wind up like the kid crying wolf.

TuabWVL.jpg

UZ6l16V.jpg

Do you sharpen with a clamp-style system? Sharpening hasn't been a problem for me BUT I sharpen by hand. I can see it being a problem with a guided-clamp sharpener.

Back