SAL.......... you may want to check on this ASAP

Sal, it's cool you do make time for this. We've never met, but it's always enjoyable to hear from the man at the helm.

I'm proud to say I have a Spyderco, and have never had to call customer service because it's well-designed and built like a tank. But if I did, I'm sure you'd take it seriously since you respond quickly and professionally to total strangers on this forum.

Keep up the good work.

There are many of our customers that use their knives for real world issues. Hate to have a pivot work out at the wrong time.

sal

+1 for JB weld.

Just because my car is put together with nuts and screws doesn't mean I should take it all the way apart. Then cry when it doesn't work back together the same. :rolleyes:

I had an an issue with a Delica....

Spiderco hooked me up, and included some sweet decals.

Now, if Sal could only remind me where I misplaced my blue handled Delica......

I really miss it.....

That Facebook group has a lot of good people. But a lot of hurrr durrrs as well. I like the group overall though. Its amazing how much friendlier people are when they're not hiding behind an internet handle. No one talks the kind of shit you see all over BF because well its "face" to "face".

But yeah, there are lots of posts about CS. I just kind of ignore them :untroubled:

There are many of our customers that use their knives for real world issues. Hate to have a pivot work out at the wrong time.

sal

FWIW, I've had screws back out on my Spydercos with both blue and red loctite.

sal

I can understand this.

with that in mind, a warning should be sent with the knife that says the pivot cannot be removed due to ... bla bla bla, attempt at removal will strip screws and void warranty. send it in to be maintain.

just saying this could help alleviate issues, customer frustration and costs down the road.

I'm one who uses a heat gun to get rid of the red locktite but not everyone knows this going into it.

if spyderco could cease the use of Red Locktite that would solve alot of issues for people who need to maintain their tools.

There is no need to take apart a Spyderco for maintenance; it's a knife, not a gun.

There is no need to take apart a Spyderco for maintenance; it's a knife, not a gun.

you are so wrong
here's a thread that the overall consensus is the opposite
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...part-And-who-leaves-them-alone-and-assembled/

knives are tools and they need to be maintained

Screenshot_2017_01_26_10_09_20.png

Last edited:
There is no need to take a knife apart repeatedly to maintain it. It's an affection that results in un-needed wear and tear on the screws, pivots and where they thread into.

Knives need to be sharpened and kept clean.

On a machine that does need to be taken down for service parts like the fixing screws are replaced each time to reduce the chance of a fastener going wrong.

I've never needed to pull a folder apart to perform any type of maintenance and I have many made with carbon and tool steels and use them all. I HAVE, however, needed to back off the pivot screw a few times on my Pacific Salt to create enough space to get out fish scales that had gotten stuck in there and wouldn't come out even under a high pressure hose. I'm glad that pivot wasn't locked down so tight that I ended up with a stripped head. Everyone's use is different. I have my opinions, but in general, I try not to tell other folks what they need or don't need to do to maintain their tools. I would agree that as a rule, the vast majority of folding knives do not need to ever be taken apart for maintenance but there are exceptions to every rule.

I'm on that group. It's mostly pertaining to the issues with the Advocate which there is a thread about the same issues here. Most of it stems from the whole voiding your warranty when wanting to perform maintenance on your knife.

I've never needed to pull a folder apart to perform any type of maintenance and I have many made with carbon and tool steels and use them all. I HAVE, however, needed to back off the pivot screw a few times on my Pacific Salt to create enough space to get out fish scales that had gotten stuck in there and wouldn't come out even under a high pressure hose. I'm glad that pivot wasn't locked down so tight that I ended up with a stripped head. Everyone's use is different. I have my opinions, but in general, I try not to tell other folks what they need or don't need to do to maintain their tools. I would agree that as a rule, the vast majority of folding knives do not need to ever be taken apart for maintenance but there are exceptions to every rule.

Oh I agree there's an exception to every rule.

My take on this is that a knife doesn't need to be stripped down and cleaned weekly like it was a firearm that just chewed through a thousand rounds and is caked with carbon.

I have knives 20 years old, that have been rafting, canoeing for days, dunked, dropped in sand, etc that have never needed to be disassembled.

I've tightened pivots and handle scales, or had to move or fix clips.

One of the only knives I've ever had to dissassemble was a limited production, discontinued Cold Steel Rhino where the lock spring was not staying put, a d would work forward and touch the blade when closed. I only did that because the knife was discontinued, and Cold Steel won't ship parts for that. They offered a new knife, which they had still in stock.

PS, if anyone knows where the heck a forgetful person like my self would stash a bright blue handled Delica FFG, when leaving on vacation camping, let me know.

I durned hid it too good. Or lost it.....Or...., I'm getting too old to keep track of my sharp things......

you are so wrong
here's a thread that the overall consensus is the opposite
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...part-And-who-leaves-them-alone-and-assembled/

knives are tools and they need to be maintained

You forgot "they need to be maintained as designed." Or "per manufacturer's directions."

Spydercos (and most knives) are not Sebenzas, maintence is soap, water and oil. I've got Spydercos from the 90s and that's all you need to do. Well I've had to tighten some screws and put locktite on a couple of pivot screws. I replaced a beat clip on a long carried Matriarch, 1st run.

If I believed the truth is to be found in a Bladeforum's consensus opinion......

Nick Shabazz is not my leader, he's too boring and annoying to watch for more than a few minutes (like most of his breed) and he's wrong, plain and simple.

Last edited:
You forgot "they need to be maintained as designed." Or "per manufacturer's directions."

Spydercos (and most knives) are not Sebenzas, maintence is soap, water and oil. I've got Spydercos from the 90s and that's all you need to do. Well I've had to tighten some screws and put locktite on a couple of pivot screws. I replaced a beat clip on a long carried Matriarch, 1st run.

If I believed the truth is to be found in a Bladeforum's consensus opinion......

Nick Shabazz is not my leader, he's too boring and annoying to watch for more than a few minutes (like most of his breed) and he's wrong, plain and simple.

you are voicing your opinion, i dont see any facts. the fact of the matters is that people will take apart tools to maintain them.

Last edited:
I've personally never had an issue with the red loctite and my good wiha bits. I never dissasemble unless there is an issue, and frankly, I've never needed spydercos warranty.

That being said, If you buy a car with parts that don't cost much, but you have to replace them all the time, you'll pay more in the end than buying a car with expensive parts, that never needs them.
Spyderco is still a rather small company, compared to Benchmade, or cold steel, and not to start a brand war, but spyderco can often give you the best "bang for your buck." im sure that in some cases, spyderco isn't making as much profit as other companies are. Doing warranty work is losing money, and it takes money to produce knives. At the spyderco cost point, you really can't expect warranty work done for free when YOU are the issue. It's not against disassembly specifically, but rather the damage you might cause during. You wouldn't expect to run your knife over with your car and then have spyderco repair your knife. That's your duty, you pay for your mistakes. They pay for theirs.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

if spyderco could cease the use of Red Locktite that would solve alot of issues for people who need to maintain their tools.

Fully agree
I have just damaged a PM2 due to that

Maintenance is an important point for any products that are intended to be used

And Spyderco being an international company it makes no sense to ask for product to be returned to the US for maintenance or minor issues fixing

What the point for me to pay 70$ for shipping à PM2 for maintenance???

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

1. Moving parts do need maintenance at some point. Especially tools. Reason I buy knives put together with screws is so I can tune and maintain them.
2. If you don't want customers to take things apart, rivet the knives. I am definitely not going to buy one of those.
3. Everybody uses their knives differently. Just because you don't need to take it apart, doesn't mean others don't.
5. Torx - some people don't have the right tools, or don't know how to use tools properly.
6. Can't please everybody. Don't like it, move on. It's a knife...

By the way, this whole Loctite discussion is not an issue for me.

1. Moving parts do need maintenance at some point. Especially tools. Reason I buy knives put together with screws is so I can tune and maintain them.
2. If you don't want customers to take things apart, rivet the knives. I am definitely not going to buy one of those.
3. Everybody uses their knives differently. Just because you don't need to take it apart, doesn't mean others don't.
5. Torx - some people don't have the right tools, or don't know how to use tools properly.
6. Can't please everybody. Don't like it, move on. It's a knife...

By the way, this whole Loctite discussion is not an issue for me.

I didn't find point 4 very compelling either.

Back