Sale of Rusty Slate's collection

Still some swords left.....they don't fit in the trunk as easy.....definitely going to avoid Hoover Dam and stay under the radar on the way home. Buy more guys..... ;) :rolleyes:

debt is good....Uncle Bill

Email sent on 12"AK Serial number 184 -$115.
I'll take it if it is still available :)
Logan1

My goodness, Rusty had quite a nice collection! :eek: Which is the siruputi he used to call "Audrey"? :D Be careful whoever picks this one...

Mamav, e-mail sent, and thanks for undertaking this not so small task of finding new homes for Rusty's trusted sharp pointy objects!

I'm happy to find you remember that, Drdan. He really had a thing for Audry, didn't he?
Rusty made a lot of his life interesting by filling it with stories.

I'm getting his AK Bowie- I can't recall any stories about that one.

munk

I got his seax, he said it was so "alien" it would have to grow on him. I wonder if it ever really did, I couldn't find much more of his opinions about it after his initial impressions. He talked about modifiying it. I have been wanting a seax for some time and I feel honored to get Rusty's. It will be prominent in my collection. I was really checking out the 14.5" siru that is first in the pic with the seax. It looks like a special knife, he had redone the handle and it was the old style. No habaki and a scrolled buttcap. Might even be a shop 1. I passed because it looked like it should go to someone who was closer to Rusty than I was. I would have taken it if I missed the seax though.
Don't know for sure, but the siru next to the seax could be Audrey. Another old style one that looks to have been special.

munk said:
I'm happy to find you remember that, Drdan. He really had a thing for Audry, didn't he?

I think Audrey was one of his favorites, Munk. He talked about her several times since I became a forumite, and he definitely considered this 12" Sirupati to be a formidable (and SHARP) weapon. :eek:

In Rusty's words, "12 inch Sirupati ( named Audrey after the bloodsucking plant in Little Shopp Of Horrors ) that has the attitude of a piranha."

I would imagine that it's the horn 12" Sirupati (not the village Siru) in the fifth photograph going for $80. Whoever picks it up will surely have something special, but be forewarned (vide ut supra!). :D

If it's the one I'm thinking of it has a long, lean, hungry look.

munk

What's kind of interesting is the couple of items that aren't in the sale, the Hawk my cousin made and that old Yataghan that Sarge gave to Rusty when he came back from Afghanistan.
Anybody remember the Yataghan besides me?
I wonder what Rusty did with those.
I know he valued them highly and wonder if he hid them out somewhere.
Rusty was indeed a packrat and like a packrat hid things. There's no telling what firearms with ammo and edged weapons that are hid in the desert around Hawthorne in pieces of 4" PVC pipe with a cap on each end!!!! :eek:

When I talked with Mary she said she was still finding things tucked away in odd places, makes me wonder if she found everything, bet not. Rusty was a sly little devil.:D

Rusty's nearest and dearest selected some of the firearms and blades to remember Rusty by. Mary picked some out as well. That would make a grand story- which weapons of destruction Rusty's wife will keep to remember this peace-loving wonderful man.

munk

I have a feeling that quite a few more of the blades have found new homes, and we'll be seeing a lot more with the word SOLD once Mamav gives us an update. :)

From several of Rusty's posts...insight into those Kershaws and others!

(2) Kershaw 4" 1416 Talons unused and hair poppin' sharp ( I occasionally drop them into the right and left pockets of my jacket to give me time to grab my real CCW's ) *

(1) SOGwinder II 3&3/4"( spearpoint version of the Tomcat - I also have a Tomcat I carried till the rubber handles peeled off but none the worse for wear otherwise, somewhere ).

(1) Black Pocket Hobbit 4" with swedge sharpened.

(1) Slipjoint 4" pocketknife by Bura.

(1) Straight razor 3" blade marked WELT RUF Solingen

(1) Sanu 8"

(1) John Primble castrating knife

and of course my 4" CS Voyager Tanto plain edge in my right pocket.

A little late to be adding this, but even though blems, I should report the quality of these two is up substantially over half a year ago. Beautifully done. More like gorgeous.

My old model 12" AK must have been a Sher. Just under 1/2" spine. Darn it! Can't make up my mind whether the old clunker or the new lovelies are better. The new ones are better all purpose, the old one is a better chopper.

So there I am looking for something besides my Sikes-Fairbairn to sharpen ( it goes dull overnite in the sheathe )when my eye strikes one of the 8" Sanu's with it's 3" handle and 5 inch blade. Next is a 9" made like the CBKC, then a Sanu's hasiya, and finally Audrey, my 12" Sirupati. Maxi Kerambit substitutes I wondered, so I picked them up and turned them upside down and I have now seen the the light!

The 8" and 9" Baby Khuks feel soo goood in an icepick edge forward grip. The 12" Sirupati doesn't like being held that way. But the Hasiya - held that way in the off or weak hand and a khuk or better yet a 14 shot CZ83 in the dominant hand, can only be beat by carrying a second 14 shot CZ83.I'm going to have to get a sheath for the Hasiya.

( Did I mention I'm considering naming my hasiya "Countess Bathory" ? )

_______________-

Before you insult Audrey you ought to make sure Big Mama ( 30" Sirupati ) ain't around.

And you might want to consider the 36" oal katana, or the 31" oal small Tibetan sword. And the Kora, and the 26" Kobra.

I've got a couple 12" Siru's around and one thick spined 12" AK. I had a couple more, but they were thinner spined. And yet a third Siru was as heavy or heavier than the two thin spined AK's. There seem to have been a few balance khuks around 12" also, and some a bit longer 13/14"

Yvsa loves his little balance khuks. They don't interest me. Anyway, contrary to the duck I like and find the 12" khuks handy when you head out without expecting to need a khuk.

Now the 15" Sirupati I like - real quick. The 15" AK can do some nice work quicker than someone unfamiliar with khuks would believe. But the 15" BAS ( this is just me ) is neither fish nor fowl, nor good red meat - kind of like kissing your sister. You can ask my why, but I don't know myself.

I'm bringing exotics
Packed and waiting to be thrown in the truck -

1) Hasiya HI
2) 12" Sirupati (Audrey) HI
3) Super Salyan HI
4) 20" Chainpuri HI
5) Hanuman Special HI
6) Sun, Moon, and Stars HI (Sanu forward curving)
7) Kora
----------------------------------------
The following have been altered to make the handles fit me. Those attending can see if it's something they want to try or leave their handles as is -

8) 18" WWII HI
9) 19" Village Sirupati
10) M43 HI
11) AKBowie
12) 15" Sirupati rehandled by Pala.

Six of the top seven are scarce to one of a kind. See you tomorrow at the Khonvention or back here Monday.

Rusty was a good guy and will be sorely missed. Smoke and prayers for his family. BTTT.

These posts leads me to believe that "Audrey" is the middle of the three in the picture with the Hisaya, with the scrolled buttcap (definite...Rusty compared Audrey to one pictured with a Salyan that looked just like this one, but was later ID'd by Bill as a 15")

I would bet for sure that whoever got this one has Audrey...be careful...she is known to be dangerous!

Sanu's have always had a very strong spirit to me.

At 13 oz, and with a wood handle that you can take down a little in the front and a bit more that that right behind the rings, you two guys may have found yourselves overmatched.

I'm 5'4 and 50 years old. I got two Sirupati 12"ers. One is a bit shorter and angles a bit more at the elbow. A tool.

The other one is lighter, thinner, longer 8 1/2" blade, straighter, and faster than my mind. It doesn't move by thought speed, it moves at the quicker reflex speed.

That's why I do NOT carry it. It scares me. If I was startled, I'm afraid the next thing I knew I'd be wondering how the khuk got in my hand, and why was there blood on the blade. Those two 15"ers for normal sized guys might be mine's equivalent.

When you pick it up, before you open the package, hold it and see if you can feel an attitude inside something like a junkyard rottweiler with a toothache and hemmorhoids. If you do, by all means see what you think of it.

Remember the play/movie "Little Shop of Horrors"? Oh my lord, my 12 1/2" Sirupati just aquired a name... Audrey - the alien plant that lives on blood in the play and is always demanding "Feed Me".

Audrey is an 8 1/4" 3/8" spine with the straightest bend and the smallest handle of any sirupati I've seen. As a result of that her balance is such that kindly benevolent people who wouldnt hurt a fly ( Howard, Yvsa, et al. ) pick her up and a minute later you see them switching holds on her under the table and their fangs hanging out. Think of her as a guard dog left to range inside a fence at a military base with NBC weapons. Say a female doberman with vocal cords severed, trained to stop biting when the atackee stops moving ( breathing ).

She and the "pocket battleship" AK were shop 1 and makers unknown.

One: the 12" AK "pocket battleship" is so heavy she's a blem and noticed as an AK only on one side. The other side has to be looked at closely to see a fuller at the elbow.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. But out of 5 12"ers, 2 sirupatis and 3 AK's the other sirupati is nothing like Audrey, and in between the 2 dui chirra type ak's and none have the feel of the pocket battleship.

Darn it, the feel and spirit of these khuks makes them hard to give them a proper description. But I'm thinging of turning a dui/tin chirra AK bowie into pocket battleship by shortening it a half inch behind the cho, extending the tang to just behind the cho and sortening the butt and moving the handle slabs forward. That would take off the last 3" of handle... no more thinking. Go take medication before start new project.

Thanks for the other information that Rusty provided about Audrey, Nasty! I think we have it right; the photo below is of Audrey. :cool:

Pocket Battleship, I forgot about that until I saw it here. Man he had way with words. Audrey will find her way to whoever will treat her best I hope. Some one got her.

I remember the Yataghan and Sarge, Yvsa. I miss Sarge too, wish he would drop in and say hi.

Back