Sale of/shiping of swords ok with Chicago weapon laws?

Hey, so I was gifted a ton of junk swords that relatives thought I'd use for cosplay but never did. I'm thinking I'm going to sell them on eBay (or frankly just give them away at this point) but I live in chicago and I've been going through a bunch of illinois and Chicago laws (and searched through a lot of the posts here) but haven't been able to find laws about shipping these swords. They're completely blunt but I don't wanna get fined or arrested over trying to get rid of them. If anyone has information on if its ok to ship stuff like this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
Box it up and take it to the post office and mail it off. The PO clerk will ask you if you have any liquids, batteries, flammable substances,.... or any other prohibited to ship stuff in the box. Tell them NO. Knives/swords/hatchets/axes/picks are NOT illegal to ship via the USPS. I've sent and received thousands or "work tools"

Just put it in a heavy shipping box, well packed so it can't shift in shipping. If the sword in question does not have a scabbard, then before packing it, protect the point with some type of heavy protection (stout styrofoam stuck on the point and reinforced with plastic or heavy cardboard secured with duct tape to prevent a gravity drop from driving the point through the bottom of the box.

And the USPS couldn't care less about any arcane laws that the city of Chicago might have, and I doubt Chicago statutes even have a breath of anything about what you ship OUT of the city.

Hey, so I was gifted a ton of junk swords that relatives thought I'd use for cosplay but never did. I'm thinking I'm going to sell them on eBay (or frankly just give them away at this point) but I live in chicago and I've been going through a bunch of illinois and Chicago laws (and searched through a lot of the posts here) but haven't been able to find laws about shipping these swords. They're completely blunt but I don't wanna get fined or arrested over trying to get rid of them. If anyone has information on if its ok to ship stuff like this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Agree with the previous poster. I have several good customers in Chicago. We ship non-junk and very sharp swords back and forth frequently without issue.

Back