Sales in nepal

Just out of curiosity do they sell all the models we have available in nepal or are things like the Pen knife (production but non standard) for export only? The special runs like the YCS or fox's folly are almost definetly export only.

But still, how many different types of khuks are needed when you can only afford one?

yoippari said:
But still, how many different types of khuks are needed when you can only afford one?
Just one. Either the new improved Foxy Folly or a BGRS, or a 14" BDC.:D ;)

Bill has said they buy village models. They cannot afford the highly finished regular line.

munk

So do they have villager pen knifes, or villager kobras and BGRS?

Or is it, villager sirupati, and villager ak?

certainly a question that has piqued my curiosity too.....only one way to know, really. ;)

:confused:

Are you asking if there's some guy with a little cart that goes around selling Birghorkha products?

That might be an interesting way to suplement my income. I'll go and buy an old hot dog vending cart and sell khukuries downtown. :D

I'd be Bruise, the nife guy.

Yeah, I don't really understand the question: Are you asking if HI has a domestic retail operation in Nepal (ie. sales to local folks)? Do you mean like a shop in Thamel for the tourist trade?

Dan's right; hard to know unless you're there. But on a small income I'd really be surprised if they sold many Kobras or Mallas. They probably sell 15" to 17" WWll and AK types- that's my guess. I don't know whether the Pen would shock them or what.

munk

Bruise, if you're going to do the Cart, sell hotdogs and Khuks. You'd be famous; "Dog on a Khuk."

munk

munk said:
Bruise, if you're going to do the Cart, sell hotdogs and Khuks. You'd be famous; "Dog on a Khuk."

munk
It's been done already, remember? :mad: Burafan was the first to have a dog on a khuk, after the dog ate, er bit, his wiener.:rolleyes: :grumpy: :barf: :p ;)

yoippari said:
Just out of curiosity do they sell all the models we have available in nepal or are things like the Pen knife (production but non standard) for export only? The special runs like the YCS or fox's folly are almost definetly export only.

I don't think HI sells in Nepal. I may be wrong. Kami Sherpa can tell us when he makes it to Reno.

As to how many are needed, I think 1. The khukuri is a multi-purpose tool that does many things passably well. Unfortunately they are also facinating, tempting guys like us with disposable income to get lots and lots of them.

Yeah, Yvsa, but Bruise will sell dogs that people bite, not the other way around.

Lord, was BF ever twisted!

Wasn't it BF who had a intruder coming in a window that was subsequently stabbed 12 times or something?

munk

We know the Kamis make alot of knives with most high ends models just for export. Maybe we can all contribute some pictures of our knives along with what HI has to form a gallery and catergorize the knives. This will also be a good way to help develop new or improved models based on fourmite comments to foster more HI production (more work for Kamis as needed). We all have been asking for some new models and Uncle has stated that the Kamis can only perform to a certain level, but this might a least present some ideas for thought.

Sharks_Edge
Karl :cool:

Bill has stated the Kamis do what the Kamis want to, not that they only perform to a certain level.
If you want to look at photos of most models visite both the shopping site and the web page.

munk

Best source for pics is old Deal of the Day threads - that's where most of the special stuff winds up, anyway. Yangdu picks good 'uns!

(and welcome to the madness, Sharks_Edge, if I haven't yet)

Madness - there's madness here? It isn't catching, is it? :eek: :confused:

For those of you who did not understand my wording of the question allow me to rephrase it. Does BirGorkha export all of their non-standard models or do they sell both, the traditional models and new models in nepal?

I ask partially because of a "villager" pen knife that showed up in the UBBBs recently. I just assumed that the villager version of the knifes were made for daily use in Nepal in mind, but that they send some of these "low end" knifes over here because they sell just as well.

Hmmm...I doubt that they sell a lot of knives to the local market. The price of a good working khukuri in Nepal is very low (I bought an excellent working khuk outside Pokhara for $8, and I got the American pricing). Khukuri House in Thamel sells their standard models (BAS types) for around $12-$15 to tourists.

I'm sure the kamis make some knives as users for friends and acquaintenaces, and I imagine that Bura, at least, gets some high-end in-country orders. But I seriously doubt that the kamis devote much time to the local market. Even after factoring in freight and handling and American overhead costs, the $60-$80 price of villiagers here in the Cantina is going to yield a much better return.

Does anyone know if HI has a tourist outlet in Kathmandu?

On the other hand, the kamis have a logic of their own, and it is not a stretch to imagine them making khukuris to sell in Nepal...

bismark77 said:
I bought an excellent working khuk outside Pokhara for $8,
I remember Pokhara as a very cool town when I was there in '79.

Paddling an old dugout canoe around the lake, the footbridge over the narrow but very deep gorge, the place where the river disappears into a hole in the ground, the incredible mountains, the Tibetans, ...

I wonder if it has changed?

Back