Salvaged KA-BAR Commando (Update 3)

Tanker 1/66

Gold Member
I picked up this beat up Commando. I didnt know what it was when I bought it. And I'd like to give a special Thanks to @gunsil for identifying it for me and giving me a history lesson on it.
The double picture is the before shot. All other pics are after. The before pic really doesn't show how bad it was. The edge was sharpened with a course file very poorly I might add and the spine had been beat on with something metal.
I buffed it out with a tool polisher and rehydrated the leather with some neatsfoot oil. Then gave it a convexed edge and got rid of the file marks.

Last edited:
I picked up this beat up Commando. I didnt know what it was when I bought it. And I'd like to give a special Thanks to @gunsil for identifying it for me and giving me a history lesson on it.
The double picture is the before shot. All other pics are after. The before pic really doesn't show how bad it was. The edge was sharpened with a course file very poorly I might add and the spine had been beat on with something metal.
I buffed it out with a tool polisher and rehydrated the leather with some neatsfoot oil. Then gave it a convexed edge and got rid of the file marks.

What a difference! Nice job Tanker :thumbsup:

Awesome work. So what's the lesson you got? I'd love to learn what this knife is all about.

19-3ben 19-3ben They were made to be sold in the PXs in WWII Starting around 1943 and ending around 1948 but I have read and can't verify up till 1951. They featured a steel butt cap and guard with leather handles. A Bakelite looking material was installed between the guard and leather and butt cap and leather. The blade was chrome with a fuller. I've seen parkarized versions with no fuller. They are marked KA-BAR Over Olean NY. On the front of the guard. Everyone that I've seen had that mark upside down as your holding the knife??? Very well built and really comfortable. It is a rat tail tang. @gunsil is a wealth of knowledge. Hopefully he will chime in and educate us some more or correct my memory.

Funny how back then a knife could be called "Commando" and have a chromed blade. These days if you did that on a knife called "Commando" or "Operator" or any other tactical sounding thing, everyone would jump up and down over light discipline.
These times they are a'changin'...

Funny how back then a knife could be called "Commando" and have a chromed blade. These days if you did that on a knife called "Commando" or "Operator" or any other tactical sounding thing, everyone would jump up and down over light discipline.
These times they are a'changin'...

I thought the same thing lol But I'm an X Army guy. Apparently the Navy guys liked them for the corrosion resistance.

This thread made me need a Commando!
(One is on the way)

Quick question though, I'm actually interested in it as a user, but when I hear "Bakelite", it makes me wonder if I need to worry about the spacers breaking/crumbling under use. Do I need to worry about that?

This thread made me need a Commando!
(One is on the way)

Quick question though, I'm actually interested in it as a user, but when I hear "Bakelite", it makes me wonder if I need to worry about the spacers breaking/crumbling under use. Do I need to worry about that?
I guess It would depend on how hard you beat on it. They were built to be carried into combat but they are seventy years old. As a user yes as a batoner no.Just finished my second restore job today. The top Commando was the first.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153781516@N05/

I guess It would depend on how hard you beat on it. They were built to be carried into combat but they are seventy years old. As a user yes as a batoner no.Just finished my second restore job today. The top Commando was the first.

Beautiful! Are the fullers different shapes? (Rounded ends on top, squared ends on bottom?)

Eric H Eric H Congratulations on your Commando. I got pulled away on some chores back there. As for the bakelite after 70 years of use it would be impossible to say how brittle it might be. Solvents, cleaners, prior abuses ect... That being said the spine of my first restore looked like it had been beaten on with a metal object or used as a hammer. It only had a very slight movement in the guard and that went away when I rehydrated the leather handle.
It is a hefty knife and feels balanced in my hand large/xl glove. I picked up the second one because I also wanted a user. As you can tell it is missing a little belly which is fine for my needs. I just like carrying and occasionally using history. The hardest thing that I have discovered is trying to find a sheath that isn't torn all to hell. Now thats a mission!!!!! Post up some pics when you get your hands on it.

Last edited:
Beautiful! Are the fullers different shapes? (Rounded ends on top, squared ends on bottom?)

I compared both and they are exactly the same other then wear from use. Rounded on both ends. I saw one Commando that was stamped KABAR on the blade plus the usual upside down Ka-Bar on the guard. I read that they might have stamped the blade after the war to sell the inventory on the civilian market. But that is not gospel.

Welcome to the forum B Batleship . Pull up a stool and sit a spell. Between the Ka-Bar and Becker forum you won't find a finer group of people on all the interwebs:D

Fine looking Commando you got there. These were a favorite of the UDT guys during WWII. We have a few in great shape in our archives and it is always interesting to compare with the Mark I, 1219C2, etc.

Back