Salyani Khukuri! New knife Design

Kailash Blades

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This is a knife we've been working on for quite a while now and are really glad to finally have it available on our website. This Hanshee style of khukuri is the oldest there is and this is really where it all started for this blade style. These blades were very lithe, fast and lethal with a serious bend to them that caused them to bite deep and grab into soft targets.

k7zjdl0hzrz31.jpg

There were two main challenges with developing this knife. The first of which is the very lean and slender construction. Making a knife that's this thin and has such gradual taper over the entire length is a huge challenge for our blacksmiths, especially when you consider that this blade is hand forged down from 12mm stock. The second challenge is the handle design. While most khukuris have very similar handles nowadays, the handles from this period are longer and a lot more slender, meaning changes to processes that our smiths usually do on autopilot. At the time these knives were often used with two hands, which when you consider how small the handle is for a two handed blade gives you an idea of how small the nepalese men of that period must have been and how MASSIVE this knife would have been in comparison. It begs the question though, should this knife be kept at the actual size of the original or scaled up to modern users? We went with two different sizes to allow for flexibility in that area. As it stands this knife is the lightest and fastest khukuri for it's size we've ever made, making this one of the best martial arts khukuris available. We're very proud of it as a result.
More info available here:
https://kailashblades.com/product/salyani/

1zy2mhckzrz31.jpg

43x4vh8o0sz31.jpg

s0em25rszrz31.jpg

ti1g3arb0sz31.jpg

Last edited:
What a great looking Khukri.

I have a few HI, and a few others. I've also owned and used extensively Busse and a few modern interpretations.

Visually the fit and finish I have seen coming our of your makers is very impressive!

I for sure prefer my more traditional versions in use so far.

Last edited:
What a great looking Khukri.

I have a few HI, and a few others. I've also owned and used extensively Busse and a few modern interpretations.

Visually the fit and finish I have seen coming our of your makers is very impressive!

I for sure prefer my more traditional versions in use so far.

Thanks a bunch! New skills and ideas grow very very slowly in nepal, so modern designs are often far rougher and less refined than traditional options which have had hundred of years to get right. However there's certainly a few nice modern options out there and more coming by the day. They always do handle quite differently though.
Take care,
Andrew

Wicked specs!
I have a 12 inch blade sirapatu that weighs at least an ounce or two more
Oh yeah that looks like a wicked fighter!
Yeah it takes a fair bit of skill on the smithing side to keep a blade of this length as trim as this but the end result is super light, lean and fast and a great cutter. The balance is still very far forward though so it picks up a lot of power when you commit. Would be a seriusly scary weapon in the right hands.

Back