Samurai swords and such. Searching for the right one.

So I'm new to swords. Never owned one. I know a bit about blades in general from destroying many, listening to others who know more than me, and learning what works well along the way.

Anyway, I'm trying to educate myself on Samurai swords. I want one that I can actually use, but I don't have a $1,000+ budget for it... Maybe for my second sword, but for now I'm still learning.
I've been reading the Sword Buying Guide and random threads on here, and have learned a lot, but recognize that the author of SBG has bias' and preferences like anyone else.
Does anyone have any advise or any other good resources that may help me in my research before I take the plunge and drop a handful of bills.

I like the feel and aesthetic of Katanas and Wakizashis over more western styles of swords. This sword will mostly be a wall hanger/show to friends piece, but I want to rest well knowing that if I needed to use it or wanted to play with it [train], I wouldn't have any problems with it. I typically buy nice things, as I'm too poor to spend money on crap. Any help on researching and finding a good looking durable piece that handles well would be much appreciated.

Cheers

I like those cheness 9260 spring steel ones sbg did the videos on cutting into the metal barrels. The dude that owns cheness can sell you warehouse blemished blades at discounted prices too, might not hurt to drop an email and ask.

I never bought it but was about to pull the trigger on a 33" o katana with a scratched saya for right at 200 bux. I felt that the properly heat treated spring mono steel would be the most functional and be able to take the most abuse.

I ended up buying 2 shikomizue though, one in 1045 carbon and the other in 1566. Both are decent water bottle and pool noodle cutters lol and actually make a decent albeit heavy walking stick. I did put some rubber on the bottom and some pool noodle down the saya though as one was rattling a bit.

A 1x30 belt sander is a decent sharpener for swords as well.

Look around on the Kult of Athena site. Lots of good quality katanas and wakizashi in all price ranges. :cool: Good people to deal with and excellent prices. :thumbsup: Hanwei would be my choice for what you are looking for. I own at least 40 katanas and have used many so I have some idea of what might suit you. ;)

I’m not a fountain of knowledge when it comes to swords. I only have 2 Japanese-style swords...a Huawei Katana and a Cheness Oniyuri. I bought the Huawei based on advice on the SBG forum. It’s a lovely piece, and Jacky was pleasant to deal with. But I haven’t put it to hard use yet...just vicious melons and the like. The Oniyuri is a bad mamajama. I am truly happy with both of my swords, but if I were to make a recommendation to a newbie, I’d say get a 9260 Cheness. There are lots of videos online that show how tough they are.

So I'm new to swords. Never owned one. I know a bit about blades in general from destroying many, listening to others who know more than me, and learning what works well along the way.

Anyway, I'm trying to educate myself on Samurai swords. I want one that I can actually use, but I don't have a $1,000+ budget for it... Maybe for my second sword, but for now I'm still learning.
I've been reading the Sword Buying Guide and random threads on here, and have learned a lot, but recognize that the author of SBG has bias' and preferences like anyone else.
Does anyone have any advise or any other good resources that may help me in my research before I take the plunge and drop a handful of bills.

I like the feel and aesthetic of Katanas and Wakizashis over more western styles of swords. This sword will mostly be a wall hanger/show to friends piece, but I want to rest well knowing that if I needed to use it or wanted to play with it [train], I wouldn't have any problems with it. I typically buy nice things, as I'm too poor to spend money on crap. Any help on researching and finding a good looking durable piece that handles well would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Check out Paul Chen Hanwei. They make some of the best katanas for a reasonable price. Unlike cold steel japanese blades they feel like real deal traditional katanas. They are excellently made. They have them at all different prices and styles.

If I was going to buy any japanese sword other than a “genuine” one it would almost certainly be a Hanwei.

Yeah,
Cheness and Hanwei have been primary candidates. I think I want a longer and a shorter blade [mainly for display purposes]. But I've certainly made the mistake of buying a piece of junk that truly is for "display purposes only". It was an exotic Arabian looking blade that I got while I was in bazaar in Oman. I gave it to my grandfather before he passed as a wall hanger. He broke the grip off of it just handling it... Under the grip pieces it read on the rat tang "Made in Taiwan".
Never again..

If you are getting a katana and a wakizashi, I recommend you get matching swords so you have a Daisho. :cool: I also think it is a good idea, though not always possible, that a matching tanto is available in case you want a "full" Daisho at some point. ;) I know a Daisho doesn't have to be matching swords but, since you are mainly concerned with display, I think it would look better. My .02 YMMV

Last edited:
Back