SAN MAI VALUES DROP?

Just saw you could pre order a Magnum Tanto XII in San Mai for $212! The old ones have gone for over $700 NIB, Cold Steel finally noticed I guess. I can definitely see that pulling down the prices I would think, except for the die hard Japanese Collector. Definitely going to be on my bucket list, 12" San Mai $212 hard to beat. Pretty sure they will be made in Taiwan( I read all but Trailmaster to be made in Taiwan and TM still made in Japan??) although the $212 Pre Order Ad said made in Japan.

The SMIII TM still being made in Japan probably has to do with being one of a few similar laminated steel bowies made there with convex edges (Fallkniven Tor, etc). It will be interesting to see the Taiwan versions, but I doubt they will ever be as valuable as the Japanese versions.

There seems to be something missing from the $212 story. Manufacturing San Mai III knife blades is a very difficult process and therefore expensive. There is also a very high demand for high end laminated steel, hence the $700 for vintage CS San Mai III. Do you have a link to the preorder ad that you can post?

I am selling most of my San Mai Japan Collection and plan on buying some back in the new San Mai. I can get all of the ones I know have that I still want and have always wanted(Taipan etc) and put the extra money into other things. I am sure the quality will be just as good(I was on the fence concerning Taiwan Products back when but now convinced after purchasing numerous ones). I think the new ones are going to drive down San Mai prices.

The new San Mai definitely give many people a chance to get one now. But do not forget that these new ones have the new steel, hollow grind, and are made in Taiwan. You are gonna get the same quality for sure but its a slightly different knife. And also don't forget that the original Japanese san mai ones were limited.

Just saw you could pre order a Magnum Tanto XII in San Mai for $212! The old ones have gone for over $700 NIB, Cold Steel finally noticed I guess. I can definitely see that pulling down the prices I would think, except for the die hard Japanese Collector. Definitely going to be on my bucket list, 12" San Mai $212 hard to beat. Pretty sure they will be made in Taiwan( I read all but Trailmaster to be made in Taiwan and TM still made in Japan??) although the $212 Pre Order Ad said made in Japan.
San Mai Knives
Seven Cold Steel fixed blades will now be available in their San Mai laminated steel configuration. These knives feature a hard cutting core of VG-10 clad in a protective outer sleeve of softer steel. Five are tanto blades – the Master, Recon, and Magnums II, IX, and XII. They appear alongside the Tai Pan and clip point SRK in the new for 2018 San Mai fleet. According to Thompson Cold Steel is moving all San Mai production except for the Trail Master Bowie from Japan to Taiwan due to industry changes. “The rest of our San Mai products will feature the same quality Japanese steel but will be made in Taiwan now, creating savings that I am pleased to pass on to my customers,” he says.

Since 2007 Cold Steel had Ichiro Hattori make most of their Vg1 core Sanmai models. Hattori is considered the best fixed blade maker in Seki. However rising costs and exchange rates have made continuation unattractive for Cold Steel. Fallkniven of Sweden continue to have Hattori make all their fixed blades and you can see where their prices are....sky high.
In the last couple of years Japanese steel companies have allowed the export of steels that they hadn't before, such as VG10 and Sanmai. As a result, CS decided to answer the strong demand for the original Sanmais by introducing Taiwan made replacements using VG10 core Sanmai imported from Japan. The cost difference between Made in Japan and Made in Taiwan is night and day.
The VG1 core Sanmai Trail Master is the only model that Hattori will continue to make in Seki Japan.

The new San Mai definitely give many people a chance to get one now. But do not forget that these new ones have the new steel, hollow grind, and are made in Taiwan.

The Japanese San Mai tantos were hollow ground. Are you referring to another model?

The Japanese San Mai tantos were hollow ground. Are you referring to another model?

Oh my mistake. I always thought they were flat ground like the 3v. That said, the cutting edge on the new ones are ground further towards the guard like they did with the Recon Tanto sk5

What I don't get is a 3v master tanto costs more that a Taiwan made san mai master tanto. I would have thought the san mai version would run more. :confused:

CPM 3-V
Made in the USA
American CPM 3-V can take an extremely fine edge which is highly chip-resistant. In recent years, it has proved very popular with custom knife makers. Though costly, this modern tool steel is astonishingly tough and exceptionally wear resistant. It is a fine-grained powdered steel, with a very uniform microstructure giving it excellent impact resistance and fine edge holding performance, and making it perfectly suited for larger blades where extreme toughness is required.

VG-10 San Mai®
San Mai® comprises of three layers of expertly laminated stainless steel combined in one blade. Hard carbon steel is sandwiched between two layers of tough lower carbon spring steel, thus maximizing edge holding ability while still being able to withstand impact and lateral stresses. Produced in extremely small production runs, San Mai® is used on only our most collectible high-end fixed blades, and is a registered trademark of Cold Steel worldwide!

From Super Mod on here:

The amount of Vanadium in VG10 (0.2%) is not enough to affect the wear resistance. It is there to produce a finer grain structure. Moly (1% in VG10 vs. 0.3% in VG1)does form carbides and it increases the corrosion resistance. I do not know the effect of the difference between the amounts in these two alloys. Cobalt is said to increase alloy strength. Nickel toughens an alloy But both are 1% Carbon ~15% Chromium alloys. I find VG10 to be a fine grained alloy that holds an edge as well as any non-PM steel. It holds an edge better than 440C and maybe better than 154CM (though I cannot really tell the difference between the two in edge retention testing.) I have not tried VG1, but would expect it to hold an edge better than 440C and maybe not be as fine grained as VG10. This assumes the alloys are hardened to the same hardness.

You are not going to see the price drop for the SM Laredo. It is not available from Cold Steel this year and that is left over from last year's Japanese San Mai III version. The same with the San Mai III Gurkha Kukri .. no longer available from Cold Steel this year. The SM Black Bear Classic has not been available for several years.

Why does VG10 steel need lamination anyway? It sure looks cool though.

The Japanese Magnum/Master Tantos on Ebay are already dropping in price. Once the news of the new San Mai knives is widespread, prices will continue to drop. I've seen MT XII's go for $700 plus. People who spent that much will be bummed. I never pay a premium for a discontinued knife unless I'm sure it won't be made again. If the quality of the Vg10 SM III's is anything like the 3V's, there's gonna be some
seriously bummed people who shelled out big bucks for the Japanese versions.

Back