Sand blasting knife scales

Hello! I am planning on purchasing a small blast cabinet for bead blasting some knife scales. I am a little unsure about the grit of medium I need, I'm trying to achieve that CRK sebenza finish only a little bit more grippy or aggressive. But I can't find any info about what grit they use to finish the sebenza knife. What glass bead media would be best to achieve this texture?

take this for what it is worth - I have zero (zilch, nada) experience in finishing Ti slabs. I just recall a video Daniel Fairly posted some time back about achieving an orange peel texture (it sounds like you are looking for a more aggressive "texture", as opposed to a "finish"). To do this he used a basic wire wheel from Home Depot chucked up in his drill press. It gave a nice polished orange peel that he went on and later finished with anodizing, I believe. It will probably take some experimenting but if you are willing to sacrifice some scales for bead blasting, might start with a wire wheel texture first before bead blast finishing?

I did a quick search and found this LINK>>>>
You might come up with other if you keep searching

Also you could get a few grits in the smallest quantities and do some test samples ;)

Thanks for the replies! Regarding the orange peel finish, I have done it on a few knives and it tends to leave a polished pitted finish. As for the medium I'm thinking they do not use beads, aluminum oxide seems to be the closest finish I can find that resembles the CRK finish. So I think I'll order the blast cabinet and AO and give it a go. If the finish is not what I'm looking for I'll change it over to the glass beads. Thanks for the link Wowbagger.

Back