Save the Gimmick, Just Make this Better

Petunia D. Feeble

I once waved at Stevie Wonder…
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I find myself disappointed sometimes by knife manufacturers. It seems sometimes that simple, practical, comfortable knives are limited to the bargain bin while knife designs that are less functional get the premium materials and quality control.

What are some bargain knives that you love, but really wish it came in a more premium version?

This is the knife that prompted the thread:
kershaw-1550-blackout-large.jpg

The Kershaw Blackout. I wouldn't be able to throw my money at it fast enough if they made one with 20cv and contoured blue g10. They may need a rethink on the name if they do a colored g10 though.

The Kershaw Injection:

kershaw-folder-injection-3-5-3830-large-black-large.jpg

They wasted a Rexford design, and the best one they have at that, on 8cr13mov! They don't even need to change it as the $15 ones come basically perfect in my experience. Just upgrade the steel. Make it in d2 and charge $50. Perfect.

I’d pick up more Kershaws if they offered better steel like they did on the Link. I did pick up one in S35VN and M390.

I totally agree with you. I paid a little more for my Link in M390 but I like it and love flippers.
I have the 420 version too.
Kershaw needs to rethink their steels then just charge a bit more. I'd be a regular customer.

Because they're falling into the same trap that most makers seem to be these days: they're designing their knives to be fun to buy, not fun to use. I have a personal rule that any knife I carry needs to pass that test. Buying new gear is fun, but it's a short-lived buzz. A tool that's enjoyable to use gets you way more happiness-mileage. And a lot of these simple designs are very enjoyable to use and could be made more so if the materials or other minor details were just given an extra little adjustment.

8Cr13MoV is a perfectly adequate steel for me and 95% of the population for what they use a knife for. I'd much rather have great designs with adequate budget steel, than crappy designs with supersteel.

Most people who see a design for $30 in 8Cr13MoV and then see it for triple the cost in a supersteel can't figure out if it is 3x better, and it's not.

8Cr13Mov is a perfectly adequate steel for me and 95% of the population for what they use a knife for. I'd much rather have great designs with adequate budget steel, than crappy designs with supersteel.
I agree. It is adequate and when I was 18 I was stoked about adequate. I've worked hard though and want better than adequate. I don't want 1/4" thick compound grinds on an orange peeled, anodized pocket brick.

Obviously not all high end knives are crap, the sebenza is a prime example, but I feel like I'm consistently more attracted to the design of budget folders and left wanting.

There is a couple I would love to see redone since we are dreaming how about a tenacious with xhp would be fun,or a Cold Steel code 4 with g10 handle .

There is a couple I would love to see redone since we are dreaming how about a tenacious with xhp would be fun,or a Cold Steel code 4 with g10 handle .
The medium Voyager would be great in XHP. I really like their polymer handles though. No need for g10. Though I'd happily Frankenstein a xhp polymer one together if they did it in g10.

I agree. It is adequate and when I was 18 I was stoked about adequate. I've worked hard though and want better than adequate. I don't want 1/4" thick compound grinds on an orange peeled, anodized pocket brick.

Obviously not all high end knives are crap, the sebenza is a prime example, but I feel like I'm consistently more attracted to the design of budget folders and left wanting.

Agree, but wanting for what? To sharpen it a little less seldom? When sharp 8Cr will cut like any other steel.

99EF07D3-D393-4D86-B381-CAB10C202C1F.jpeg Great thread Bryce! Been aggravated with this one, big time.
Not only is the steel garbage, so is the build.
I use my knives at work, HVAC, and need a decent edge for the day. This thing gets dull if it’s breathed on. Also, every single corner had aluminum drops of slag. They all came off and now each corner can cut you. You can see what I’m describing right by my thumb.....that bitch is sharp!!
It just feels nothing short of cheap, very cheap.
It couldn’t be saved with M390. I was hoping ZT might’ve made a model with a Hawk Lock.
Joe

Reactions: Mo2
That garbage might cut like any other steel.....for a minute or 2. Try cutting insulation with that shit. The edge is gone almost immediately.
My Advocate with M4 will cut it all day and be stupid sharp with some stropping at the end of the day.

Agree, but wanting for what? To sharpen it a little less seldom? When sharp 8Cr will cut like any other steel.

Kershaw Brookside. $24.95 at a big US sporting goods retailer. I love this knife and would easily pay $120-150+ for a US Kershaw or ZT version with better steel and scales. Best flipping action of any sub-$100 knife I have ever tried.

ADA47A9D-28D8-40DE-A506-09CAC7AEC731.jpeg

Most of Kershaw's stuff. The Cryo for one. Could have been great. Even with "good" steel.
I haven't looked at CRKT lately but they are about the same.
If you can't do it right just don't do it.

That garbage might cut like any other steel.....for a minute or 2. Try cutting insulation with that shit. The edge is gone almost immediately.
My Advocate with M4 will cut it all day and be stupid sharp with some stropping at the end of the day.

That's what a utility knife is for. Do you use it on drywall too?

With 8Cr, come usually, crap internals as well. Thats why knives in 8Cr are normally under $50.
8Cr is great if your just doing light duty cutting tasks here and there.
I carry an 8Cr knife when I travel on a plane. If I lose it..there is the "who cares" factor.

Back