Save the Gimmick, Just Make this Better

I find myself disappointed sometimes by knife manufacturers. It seems sometimes that simple, practical, comfortable knives are limited to the bargain bin while knife designs that are less functional get the premium materials and quality control.

What are some bargain knives that you love, but really wish it came in a more premium version?

This is the knife that prompted the thread:
kershaw-1550-blackout-large.jpg

The Kershaw Blackout. I wouldn't be able to throw my money at it fast enough if they made one with 20cv and contoured blue g10. They may need a rethink on the name if they do a colored g10 though.
Couldn't agree more on the Blackout. Wonderful knife in hand. I would love a ZT version of this blade.
bbZjITN.jpg

The kershaw/emerson collabs for sure.
Specifically these two:
6030_profile_1020x400_zps6ibgwsft.png
6031_profile_1020x400_zpsvg8k6ol6.png

If they offered these with g10/ss liner lock with sandvick steel for around $70 or so, or even better with cpm 154 for around $100 made in the USA that would be amazing. But I feel like they would outsell actual emersons... Ouch.
Please kershaw bridge the gap between your standard USA kershaw line and the ZT models... At the autos and the bare knuckle is a good start! (this is the 3rd or 4th time I have posted about this issue with kershaw) :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cutting 6” insulation with a utility knife??? Have fun with that genius. You’ll make a complete mess and be up in an attic all day.
Don’t do drywall, but if I did I’d use it. Why not??
Use a short section of wood, press it down on the insulation as a guide and slice through with the utility knife.
And yes, before you ask, it springs right back into shape.
I've subbed many an insulation job over the years and it seems the best way I've found.

I usually get stuck doing it during installations, insulation really isn’t my thing, but that’s the best way I’ve heard!!
Thanks BM!!
:thumbsup:
Joe

Use a short section of wood, press it down on the insulation as a guide and slice through with the utility knife.
And yes, before you ask, it springs right back into shape.
I've subbed many an insulation job over the years and it seems the best way I've found.

Natrix XL just because I don't have 2nd hand 0777 money :oops::D (And yes, the Bareknuckle looks pretty decent, but I rather have ZT Materials, IE Ti+20CV, again and a Fuller thank you very much :p )

As a newbie here I think there’s a misunderstanding of how knife companies go to market. Blade Forum members are not the primary market for Kershaw’s more entry level knives. They have a niche and going upscale with better steels would take them out of that niche.

The predominant feeling I get after being a regular for the past 6 weeks is there are a shitload of really good knives in the $50-$100.00 range. Spyderco’s offerings alone blow my mind in their volume. Why should Kershaw try to compete against them and others when they are very successful going to market as they do now?

I kind of have a different opinion from everyone here. I think 8cr13mov is an adaquate steel and 14c28n even better, and I like that the super cheap (under say $50) Kershaw's come with that steel because if they came with anything exotic I would feel bad about using them as hard as I do.

But I agree it would be neat if they offered more of their low end knives in a higher end steel. I wish Leatherman did that too.

I don’t think knife collectors/enthusiasts are the target market for companies like Kershaw. I’m betting most of their sales are to the department store buyers that get a knife for the tackle box or the junk drawer for when they get boxes from the jungle. That is why Kai has ZT for the rest of us that complain about blade steel. It’s like cars, you can get a Toyota or a Lexus. Same company, different clientele.

The kershaw/emerson collabs for sure.
Specifically these two:
6030_profile_1020x400_zps6ibgwsft.png
6031_profile_1020x400_zpsvg8k6ol6.png

If they offered these with g10/ss liner lock with sandvick steel for around $70 or so, or even better with cpm 154 for around $100 made in the USA that would be amazing. But I feel like they would outsell actual emersons... Ouch.
Please kershaw bridge the gap between your standard USA kershaw line and the ZT models... At the autos and the bare knuckle is a good start! (this is the 3rd or 4th time I have posted about this issue with kershaw) :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

For what it's worth, Emerson DOES make both these knives, I have the knife the top one is modeled after, the Appalachian. It cost me around $140 on the secondary market, but I like Emersons and don't mind paying those prices for those materials. The bottom knife is patterned off some custom, if I recall correctly, which means that you won't find that sort of price on the few of those there are.

As a newbie here I think there’s a misunderstanding of how knife companies go to market. Blade Forum members are not the primary market for Kershaw’s more entry level knives. They have a niche and going upscale with better steels would take them out of that niche.

The predominant feeling I get after being a regular for the past 6 weeks is there are a shitload of really good knives in the $50-$100.00 range. Spyderco’s offerings alone blow my mind in their volume. Why should Kershaw try to compete against them and others when they are very successful going to market as they do now?

I think you might've missed the point of the thread. It's not that they make budget knives, it's that they waste the really good designs on budget models and make nonsense out of high end materials.

Kershaw already competes with Spyderco. They do it under the ZT brand.

I don't blame them for making the budget versions. I love gifting them. I'd just like to see a premium version of some of the models mentioned instead of some Klingon inspired flipper.

The very first Kershaw I bought was the Blackout. Ive never carried it, not once. Once I got it in hand I just didn't like the plastic feeling handles. Almost doesn't feel substantial enough. Ive tried to sell it here with no luck. Damn thing was literally brand new in the box....

I think you might've missed the point of the thread. It's not that they make budget knives, it's that they waste the really good designs on budget models and make nonsense out of high end materials.

I don't blame them for making the budget versions. I love gifting them. I'd just like to see a premium version of some of the models mentioned instead of some Klingon inspired flipper.
Despite my post, I would also like to see this.

Can't a production knife look like a modern sodbuster and cost $150-$200 just because it's really good ?
Is someone going to think " that's too basic looking to cost $200 " ?
Is there a standard for how much costly tooling and or mill work a knife has to have in order to be expensive ?

I don't think many people are wanting extensive design work to go into the cost of a knife when more can go into materials and quality.

I've gifted more kershaws than any other knife brand. Now those guys have numerous knives and are hooked with these awesome tools!

Does ZT have knives under $100.00?

Back