Save the Gimmick, Just Make this Better

Right, so KAI competes with Spyderco on all fronts really. That was my point, just poorly illustrated.

Spyderco I think is about the only manufacturer of budget and high end knives that doesn't fall victim to this. Maybe with the Tenacious.

Right, so KAI competes with Spyderco on all fronts really. That was my point, just poorly illustrated.

Spyderco I think is about the only manufacturer of budget and high end knives that doesn't fall victim to this. Maybe with the Tenacious.
I have a Tenacious and really like it. 8Cr and China but feels like quality. Good knife!

Tenacious and Resilience both, very nice knives, I own them both. I would think that Sypderco's Byrd line is akin to Kershaw vs. ZT.

Oh, we somehow made it this far into the thread without mentioning...

Almost everything from CRKT!!

Seriously. They've got more great designs than anyone else and have ruined nearly all of them.
I'll do my weekly stand up for CRKT post:

I got a Crossbones for Christmas and it's a quality knife even with AUS8 and aluminum. The AUS8 is done correctly it flips nicely and it'll fall shut with a little shake. While I still predominantly carry my Sebenza if there's a day I know I'm going to be stuck in my office I carry it because it's lighter and smaller in the pocket.

Most of Kershaw's stuff. The Cryo for one. Could have been great. Even with "good" steel.
I haven't looked at CRKT lately but they are about the same.
If you can't do it right just don't do it.

There was already a Cryo with better steel, and it is called ZT 0556.

With 8Cr, come usually, crap internals as well. Thats why knives in 8Cr are normally under $50.
8Cr is great if your just doing light duty cutting tasks here and there.
I carry an 8Cr knife when I travel on a plane. If I lose it..there is the "who cares" factor.

I do this too. After having some expensive knives thieved out of my checked baggage by the TSA--I love that even when they steal your stuff they leave an inspected slip in your bag, that's a nice eff-you-very-much touch, I think--I've taken to only checking cheap CRKT flippers, usually the Carajas or Sampa or something similar.

For what it's worth, Emerson DOES make both these knives, I have the knife the top one is modeled after, the Appalachian. It cost me around $140 on the secondary market, but I like Emersons and don't mind paying those prices for those materials. The bottom knife is patterned off some custom, if I recall correctly, which means that you won't find that sort of price on the few of those there are.

Yes, but when Kershaw makes an Emerson the quality is so much higher. Source: I own Kemersons, Zemersons and Emersons and how well made they are goes in this order: Zemerson > Kemerson > Emerson.

Emersons seem to be assembled by monkeys with a learning disability who were working in a very dark room at night with no lighting.

Yes, but when Kershaw makes an Emerson the quality is so much higher. Source: I own Kemersons, Zemersons and Emersons and how well made they are goes in this order: Zemerson > Kemerson > Emerson.

Emersons seem to be assembled by monkeys with a learning disability who were working in a very dark room at night with no lighting.

The few Emersons Ive handled/owned (I currently have but one), seemed to be okay albeit industrial but that was pretty funny:D

Im hardly a Emerson fanatic - I can take them or leave them.

Lets just say, they serve their function/niche.

I had a Kemerson and for the price, the quality was surprisingly good....for the price.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more on the Blackout. Wonderful knife in hand. I would love a ZT version of this blade.
bbZjITN.jpg
The Blackout is pretty cool, when they first came a long time ago I bought two of them at a police supply/uniform store. They were close to $100 each then.:eek::)

You turd, you went on an Emerson kick for awhile! You and Ernie had a brew and played golf:D now he hires primates to assemble his knives in a dark closet lol

I have a Tenacious and really like it. 8Cr and China but feels like quality. Good knife!
My very first Spyderco was a Persistence and that sold me on Spyderco. Even though its 8cr, imho the average consumer would not be disappointed with it's performance at all.

You turd, you went on an Emerson kick for awhile! You and Ernie had brew and played golf:D now he hires primates to assemble his knives in a dark closet lol

I didn't go all pro-Emerson, exactly, I just worked to find some slightly-less-awful than normal Emersons and have tried to accept them, warts and all.

I do carry this one semi-regularly (though I've since added some more bling to it, a thumb disk made from a Federal .45 cartridge) though. It only has a bit of lock stick, and the custom scales line up much better than the stock ones did.

BB3qrSC.jpg

I do still want to have that drink with EE, though. It's not often I get offered the opportunity to share whisky with an industry icon. ;)

I didn't go all pro-Emerson, exactly, I just worked to find some slightly-less-awful than normal Emersons and have tried to accept them, warts and all.

I do carry this one semi-regularly (though I've since added some more bling to it, a thumb disk made from a Federal .45 cartridge) though. It only has a bit of lock stick, and the custom scales line up much better than the stock ones did.

BB3qrSC.jpg

I do still want to have that drink with EE, though. It's not often I get offered the opportunity to share whisky with an industry icon. ;)
I see what you did there at the end, please lets make his head bigger than it already is. That's a great idea!

I'm just giving you a hard time, I know the progression of your emerson story.

Back