Say Hi to the new guy!

TMHunt

Knifemaker/Moderator
So here's the latest and the greatest from the shop of T.M.Hunt. Things have been going pretty well around the shop. Orders are being placed, orders are going out, almost like its a business around here or sumthin! :) Sometimes I get a little behind and when that happens, I stress pretty hard about it. Im always trying to think about how to be more efficient and faster without sacrificing anything that I have been so insistent about over the last few years.....

Most of you know by good buddy Murph is a very common sight here in my shop, he's been with me for a long time and helps me immensely doing just about everything you can think of involving getting knives out the door. As well as my Dad who has probably been worked harder than hes wanted to from time to time around here, but all for the cause. Besides them, its very hard to get people here to help me do what I do. You dont necessarily hit the ground running here. I'm too picky and insistent on doing things and getting things done a certain way. (Ask Murph) but its all because I have a vision for how my products perform, look, fit you name it, I worry about since my name is on the side of it.

So, lets go back to a chance meeting Murph had with one Allen Morrison a few short months ago. Those of you that know Murph knows he likes to eat, likes to drink, and loves to flap his jaws when their not doing either of the other two. That all played to our hand when a conversation between him and Allen started when they where both eating lunch at one of their favorite pizza joints just a couple of miles down the road. They talked about hiking, military, motorcyles and eventually the talk came to knives. Well you can imagine what that all started. A couple weeks later, Allen contacted me and asked about a apprenticeship. Now I've had a couple of people ask about it before, but once they found out its hard work and I wasnt going to give them free reign of my shop and fill their pockets with money, they all declined, so, I didn't take him seriously. Instead, I gave him a list of rules and expectations that I figured would scare him off. But to my suprise, he accepted, so Murph and I invited him over one night for a meet and greet, drank a few beers, gave him some shit to see if he was thick skinned enough to put up with us and we came to the conclusion that we liked him immediately. (Just don't tell him that,)

I figured the place where he could start out and be most helpful is buy helping me do my sheaths. I do all of my own leather work and it gets to be a full time job of its own. Allen came over a few times and the more he was over the more he started asking about kydex. Well, I don't do kydex. Don't have the time, and theres to many talented people out there doing it for me to get into it. However, I do have some of the equipment laying around for small projects, so Allen tried his hand at it and has gotten very good, very fast.

Now my ultimate goal is to employ a small group of craftsmen to where each one has a highly developed skillset all of which come together on whatever products come out of my shop, not just knives, but all of the things I have planned in the future as well (stay tuned) so, instead of trying to mold Allen into what I wanted him to do. Since we havnt been able to run him off, we decided to provide him with some equipment and see what he can do.....

So, first of all meet Allen (Trap here on the forums) oh, and by the way, today is his birthday! :)

Here's a little taste of the kydex work that he's been learning and doing here in the shop.

Here is a good assortment. Several sheaths including new neck rigs for the Hornets, waste carry for setup for my new "ringpop" self defense nuck, working on a few different variations of card/money clip wallets, and even making some gun holsters that he's even set up customers for.

Heres the goods he's doing it with, all tucked into a small corner in my shop that he has seemed to take over. We decided to go a little bit different route with how where doing things. I wanted more versatility on what we could do, so we are vacuum forming everything. The heat press is awesome for heating the kydex, its digitally controlled on its heat and has a build in timer so we can't really screw it up. Then it goes to the vacuum table and then turn on the vacuum pump and that's pretty much it.

Proud pappa in his smiling glory.

Don't make too much fun of him, he packs, holster made today out of scrap material.

So, as you can see, in the last couple of months it has progressed well. These are just a few pics of assorted projects. I expect he will add more since he takes shoots of pretty much everything he does. Give him a warm welcome guys/gals. He will be a great addition to this community we all love so much!

Last edited:
Welcome Allen. And happy birthday! Looks like you have an awesome opportunity. Good luck with you apprenticeship and soak up all the knowledge you can. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Hey thanks Marty i am defintley trying to do that. And i will post my work as i go. so what part of tennessee are you from i am from Clarksville moved up here to indiana about 4 years ago. thanks for the birthday wishes.

Hey thanks Marty i am defintley trying to do that. And i will post my work as i go. so what part of tennessee are you from i am from Clarksville moved up here to indiana about 4 years ago. thanks for the birthday wishes.

I live in Huntingdon. South west of Clarksville. Directly between Memphis and Nashville. Clarksville is a really pretty area. I did some work a few years ago in southern Indiana. I liked up there as well.

Welcome to the forum and happy birthday.
That's some nice rigs there. Looking forward to seeing more from you.
Perhaps in the next year I could be placing an order for a kydex rig for my Tradewater and Magua. I like the leather sheaths a lot but I really want some kydex.

Welcome man. Happy Birthday as well. Looks like you're already kicking out some awesome work. I must say, I like the t-shirt you're wearing too. ;)

Howdy! Happy b-day, and such. Nice work. Todd needs kydex done in house. Good to have you around.

Yep, gotta do the kydex in house. How else would you fit each piece? Plus it gives you another revenue stream that costs you very little. Other than Allen....BTW. If you have the time to do leather, you have the time to do kydex.

Ya'll have a great day!

Trap, excellent kydex work! The fact that you just started blows my mind. I gave it a try once but they looked pretty awful....I was using a heat gun and a press made with foam and a few clamps.....your tools look much better. I think I need one of those neck setups for my hornet:D

And Happy birthday

Thanks for such a warm welcome. I am looking forward to pushing myself in learning the kydex as well as the leather I have talked with Todd on several occasions that I would like to blend the two. I really like the benefits of kydex but you can't beat the classic sexy look of good leather. So I want to try to get that down and hopefully become great at both. So have a seat grab a beer and let's have some fun. I would love to help any of you wrap your fine T.M. Hunt knives in kydex just say the word and send your knife to us. Thanks again for the warm welcome and birthday wishes.

Thanks for such a warm welcome. I am looking forward to pushing myself in learning the kydex as well as the leather I have talked with Todd on several occasions that I would like to blend the two. I really like the benefits of kydex but you can't beat the classic sexy look of good leather. So I want to try to get that down and hopefully become great at both. So have a seat grab a beer and let's have some fun. I would love to help any of you wrap your fine T.M. Hunt knives in kydex just say the word and send your knife to us. Thanks again for the warm welcome and birthday wishes.

"Kissass" ;)

Welcome Trap! It's hard finding good help so of Todd is saying you're good (enough ;) ) I'm sure he means it. Nice work on the kydex to bud. Keep it up!

Allen has been fitting in pretty well around the shop. He's already going nuts on the Kydex and leather stuff. Hopefully he sticks with his "I don't drink much" approach to the beer fridge. We need a d.d. at the shop occasionally.

Welcome! The sheaths and such are looking good. I'm excited to see what else you'll bend up.

Trap said:
I would love to help any of you wrap your fine T.M. Hunt knives in kydex just say the word and send your knife to us. Thanks again for the warm welcome and birthday wishes.
I suppose that I could just run it down.... Maybe drink a bit and play a game of "Will it sheath?" And dare you to make kydex for random everyday objects.

Leo's gonna be pissed.

Back