#sayIwont

There was a recent thread out in the main GKD area about CPK versus Busse. I've been a long time CPK owner, but never anything more than mildly interested in a last Rites. That thread finally tipped me over the edge to finally get my first Busse. A Last Rites was found on the exchange, funds exchanged hands and 2 days later it's here. 2 hours later and I am already scheming on what to do to it. An hour later and I'm at the drill press...

FqCmidcl.jpg

SK9HxK5l.jpg

DXbx68xl.jpg

q4acZ8al.jpg

I am not normal like most of the Busse crowd. I am not a hard user of my knives. I'm actually more of a woodworker than anything. Knife handles and custom scales are my creative outlet. After all the discussion in that other thread I wanted to see if I couldn't dress up a Last Rites. I'll post progress pictures.

You can follow along. It may be a collosal, spectacular, epic failure. It may turn out and not suck. Questions and comments are welcome.

On a side note, I'm happy the rivets drill out pretty easily (I've done this before). If I had more. busses I'd be worried about moisture under there and no way to get the scales apart. 100% can confirm there is a little corrosion on this tang, sold to me as NIB, unused.

I will be converting to fasteners. Otherwise I'd be looking to epoxy things back together.

Last edited:
There was a recent thread out in the main GKD area about CPK versus Busse. I've been a long time CPK owner, but never anything more than mildly interested in a last Rites. That thread finally tipped me over the edge to finally get my first Busse. A Last Rites was found on the exchange, funds exchanged hands and 2 days later it's here. 2 hours later and I am already scheming on what to do to it. An hour later and I'm at the drill press...

FqCmidcl.jpg

SK9HxK5l.jpg

DXbx68xl.jpg

q4acZ8al.jpg

I am not normal like most of the Busse crowd. I am not a hard user of my knives. I'm actually more of a woodworker than anything. Knife handles and custom scales are my creative outlet. After all the discussion in that other thread I wanted to see if I couldn't dress up a Last Rites. I'll post progress pictures.

You can follow along. It may be a collosal, spectacular, epic failure. It may turn and not suck. Questions and comments are welcome.

On a side note, I'm happy the rivets drill out pretty easily (I've done this before). If I had more. busses I'd be worried about moisture under there and no way to get the scales apart. 100% can confirm there is a little corrosion on this tang, sold to me as NIB, unused.

I will be converting to fasteners. Otherwise I'd be looking to epoxy things back together.
Crazy man, I love it! :D :thumbsup: Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Sounds good im getting ready to hit the hay. I will shoot you an email with the links first thing tomorrow when I get up.

So, I said I'd take you along for the ride. My inspiration for this comes from a custom maker on bladeforums, blackmefisto blackmefisto - his handles are simply astounding! So for this knife I wanted as much "art" as I wanted "function".

Also, I like to implement a design feature that is evident in the blade itself. More on that later, but keep the bevel transition at the tanto tip in mind...

First, slabs are layed up with micarta backers then the knife handle tang becomes my drilling template. Then it's straight butchery on the bandsaw.

W0PgyHIl.jpg

py28RT8l.jpg

Next, the profile is ground down to match the tang. I focus a lot on dialing in the finger pocket area. All grinding is done off the knife. I end up tracing and sanding down to the pencil line about 15 times per side. It's tedious. My goal is to take them down so you cannot catch a fingernail all around, but the scales are still proud of the steel. The rest is hand sanding later.

Then I start hogging off material from the thickness, still very much with square shoulders. No contours or curves yet, just matching thickness, side to side, along the full length. I'm skipping some steps here (forgot to take pictures). This is what creates the hourglass figure looking down from the top.

sAueMvfl.jpg

The hourglass curves are starting to show up. Note the heavy inside out curves at the back end?

44KOYgzl.jpg

Sx9CO8vl.jpg

All this is very rough. But the fasteners fit for length. I then drill the countersink to get them flush.

fJdtgcIl.jpg

So that's it. Now I open up a fresh can of elbow grease and start finish sanding.

On my next post I'll talk more about the tanto bevels on the blade and paying tribute to that in the scales.

Thanks for hanging out with me.

Last edited:
Back