SC507 Ellenville Factory Dedication knife - micarta scrimshaw 1987

Here's a rare 80's knife that screams made-in-Ellenville Schrade. After many years of searching I can finally scratch this knife off my most-wanted list. A fantastic addition to my Schrade collection.

The knife is a 5" closed, "SC507" stamped, "Bear Paw" style lockback with yellow linen micarta handles. The same micarta was used previously on the Amex Presidents series of scrimshaw knives. The front of the knife has real scrimshaw artwork by Frank Giorgianni depicting the "new" Ellenville, NY Imperial Schrade Corp. factory. The back of the knife has blue heat-stamped script saying "Dedication '87".

I found a really old thread about these knives. I may finally have some answers to LT's ancient questions. https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/large-schrade-scrim-of-factory.152258/

...these particular knifes were produced (on a one time basis) for a meeting that was held when Schrade moved from their original Ellenville plant to its present location... The picture of this factory is scrimmed on the scale of this knife. The knife is in effect an LB-7... in white micarta and is tang marked SC507. I was told this knife was given out to salesmen, employees, VIP's ect to celebrate the move to the new factory at a meeting or party that was held by the company. While most of these were the stamped versions this one must have been a pattern or prototype knife since it is not a stamp but, hand done. I would like to know if the information regarding this knife is correct and if so how many of these were given out ( an idea of its rarity,) As well as any information which might be pertinent to its history.

I've seen a couple other examples at auction in the past decade. They were the same as mine (except for serial number). They all had micarta handles and real scrimshaw. I have not seen this artwork portrayed on a delrin handled knife nor have I seen it done as a heat-stamp. This speaks to LTs "prototype" concept. While he might recall seeing a delrin version (and he's seen a lot of Schrade), I never have. I think his knife was part of a limited edition not a prototype and I'm still not completely convinced this artwork was ever made into a heat-stamp. If anyone does have a delrin version, please post some pics of it.

My example came with its original sleeve, box, and SAS18 black leather basket-weave sheath with belt loop. The seller was the original owner of the knife. His salesman number was SS-61 back then. He stated there were less than 50 of these produced and that they were given to Schrade employees. I think that count is quite possible after watching many years of online auctions.

I immediately noticed that Giorgianni scratched the lines very deep into the micarta. They feel deeper than the lines he did on my Schrade-I*XL "Moore-Handley Centennial Commemorative" knife. It has a different kind of micarta. I note that he utilized a super accurate parallel-lines hatching technique as opposed to cross-hatching or stippling to make the darkest areas. It is clearly evident on both knives.
1dOKmZi.jpg

I took lots of pics. I hope you enjoy seeing them.

Written on the outer sleeve is "507SC 86' Sales Meeting". I think this may tell us when some if not all of these knives were handed out.
JW8uiEl.jpg

The box-top has "SS 61" on both ends.
XqrcpTe.jpg

Hxv980l.jpg

9pPJwWP.jpg

The knife is serialized "SS-61" on the front bolster. Scrimshaw art is signed "FG".
QOT4Zdd.jpg

rT4jQu8.jpg

kKKtf1b.jpg

x7PuI7A.jpg

4VwO089.jpg

t775JzJ.jpg

vAeuK8s.jpg

Last edited:
Back