Scagel inspired hunter/skinner

Darrin Sanders

Knifemaker
I've always wanted to do something in the Scagel style and finally got around to it. It didn't come out perfect but I learned what I needed to know to do it right next time. It was a fun build and I'll definitely be doing it again.
Materials are AEB-L, 416 SS, red linen micarta, maroon linen micarta, & amber stag.
What do you guys think?Scagel #1 .JPG Scagel #2 .JPG Scagel #3 .JPG

I like that quite a bit, Darrin. Most of the Scagel-inspired stuff I see has so many tiny little layers that I can't help but think about moisture intrusion and instability. I like your fewer, thicker layers and this wide. short blade.

Beautifully done! The only thing I would change would be to have the narrowest part of the handle right behind the guard, rather than toward the middle where you have it.

Beautifully done! The only thing I would change would be to have the narrowest part of the handle right behind the guard, rather than toward the middle where you have it.

That's where I made my mistake. I didn't narrow the tang enough to allow for that. Next time I will do exactly that.

Darrin, that is killer.

Love it

Pretty knife.

Not sure what you mean by "Scagel style" other than as a generic term for stag and spacers. You may want to study more actual Scagel knives rather than other maker's interpretations. If you ever get to Orlando, visit the Randall museum and see their collection of Scagel knives. For me it was a "knife-life" changing event. I didn't understand what Scagel design and execution meant until I saw some originals.

If you go back and read the title you'll see that it says "Scagel INSPIRED". I wasn't trying to make an accurate reproduction.

That's where I made my mistake. I didn't narrow the tang enough to allow for that. Next time I will do exactly that.

that was my critique as well if you were asking, i've been a massive fan of his style myself for a long time and that was a particular feature i noticed from his work. on that note, that stag coloring is so perfect that its hard to notice much else.

Back