Scale ID

BeastClaw

Gold Member
Are either of these snakeskin, tigerhide, or python scales? Or just multicolor scales with no special name?

Thanks

5A331035-C108-4D5D-9C92-B836A2375BFC.jpeg

96F7982C-D0A3-49F3-8134-9BEA6C232913.jpeg

The top one appears to be "rope cut micarta" and the bottom one I think was called black and tan but I'm not 100%. Is that bottom one the AD from Arizona Custom Knives?

I’d say rope cut micarta on top. The bottom appears more tigerhide in color.

IIRC, "Rope-cut" refers only to the grooved pattern cut into the handles.

As for color scheme, some Busse flavor of Canvas Micarta for sure.

It's difficult for me to id these Busse varieties because there can be a pretty wide & wild variation between the dyes, fabrics, even textures of the lots even in the same color, even on the same model. Throw in some vintage hand oil, a dab or two of wax or other lube... and well, it can get confusing for me. o_O

For the moment, I'd go with Snakeskin on the AD <ca. 85% sure> , as for the top one, it's just a bit too grimy for me to guess. :confused:

I'm with nydude, that top one looks like green linen micarta, the older variation was much deeper in color. I've had several in it and regret losing those. I still have one more with old green linen.

The bottom looks so odd to me, its a variation of Tiger Hide micarta but the layers are much thicker than I've ever seen before, I really like them!!

I would say Snakeskin on the AD. Looks like the snakeskin that was used on the Cultis. The tiger hide on the Cultis had a finer pattern.

The top one appears to be "rope cut micarta" and the bottom one I think was called black and tan but I'm not 100%. Is that bottom one the AD from Arizona Custom Knives?

Yeah, the bottom one is from AZCK.

The top is a BAIII I randomly picked up a few months ago. Tried to clean up the scales to bring out more color but that’s the best I could do.

I would say Snakeskin on the AD. Looks like the snakeskin that was used on the Cultis. The tiger hide on the Cultis had a finer pattern.

I thought this too but the colors are slightly different from the pics I could find of the Culti’s.

Top one requires cleaning to be sure of color. Just a soft brush like a toothbrush & a little mild dish soap with warm water will do. Dry & see. Best guess- black linen micarta. 2nd guess- green linen micarta. If so, def not as common as black canvas micarta.
Bottom AD has Tigerhide canvas micarta.

I'm with nydude, that top one looks like green linen micarta, the older variation was much deeper in color. I've had several in it and regret losing those. I still have one more with old green linen.

The bottom looks so odd to me, its a variation of Tiger Hide micarta but the layers are much thicker than I've ever seen before, I really like them!!

Don't forget that some black canvas & linen back in the day had a greenish hue to it. ;)
This handle's totally tricky as is, but I notice that up near the ricasso, the color is more black, where hands probably haven't touched it as much as lower down the handle.
Me? I'd wash that handle to see..I'd have to know if I was looking @ green linen or black :D:thumbsup:

Top one requires cleaning to be sure of color. Just a soft brush like a toothbrush & a little mild dish soap with warm water will do. Dry & see. Best guess- black linen micarta. 2nd guess- green linen micarta. If so, def not as common as black canvas micarta.
Bottom AD has Tigerhide canvas micarta.

I’ll try the toothbrush trick on the top one. Thanks Jaxx

Here is the BAIII next to some other snakeskin. With and without flash.

View attachment 1123245 View attachment 1123246

Snakeskin is the most often mid-identified scale color. Many non-snake knives have sold on the exchange as snakeskin.

Snakeskin’s red is RED and yellow is YELLOW. There is no tan in snakeskin.

This photo shows a perfect example of both clean and oiled snakeskin in the bottom two handles. The top one is definitely not snake.

Snakeskin is the most often mid-identified scale color. Many non-snake knives have sold on the exchange as snakeskin.

Snakeskin’s red is RED and yellow is YELLOW. There is no tan in snakeskin.

This photo shows a perfect example of both clean and oiled snakeskin in the bottom two handles. The top one is definitely not snake.

Thank you 360

Thank you 360

You bet.

The tigerhide versus Black and Tan canvas distinction is tougher for me though. Unlike snakeskin, there were multiple iterations of tigerhide both in linen and canvas. The original tigerhide had several thinner layers of black integrated within the tan. Then, the ganza double cut bushwhacker mistress sold as “black and tan canvas” which had only a couple, thicker layers of black. Later, the LE SAR knives appeared to have the same scales but were sold as tigerhide.

Back