Scandi edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbach8tw

Platinum Member
Just going to post this as I am still not sure if I would like a scandi edge, so any comments? Mostly because would I be proficient when it comes to sharpening one? I have my first Moras I plan to use this spring to try the edge out before I get s custom with that kind of edge, to see it it was for me. I have heard it is good for bushcraft and wood working, not as great as a food knife. Advantages and disadvantages? Please help learn me some stuff. :rolleyes: Probably better in General, but I wanted to ask it here since I see a lot of scandi FBs.

A lot depends on the blade stock thickness for me personally. Never been a huge Scandi edge guy it does work wood well though, however like you stated not as good of a food knife edge.

That all said I bought a Fiddleback Renegade with Scandi edge it has thinner blade stock it cuts like a laser. It’s plain scary sharp has to be on of the sharpest knives I own right now.

Same note I’ve had some thick blade stock Scandi edges knives from various builders that were hard for me to get as sharp as I preferred.

Easier to sharpen with two long flat edges that come together as well.

Yep, if done correctly a Scandi edge should be easier to sharpen since you don't have to guess at the secondary bevel but just get the main bevel flat on the stone and away you go. I like a Scandi on smaller fixed blades like my Solo that I intend to use mostly for woodworking but have used Moras for many tasks with no real negatives to speak of.

I prefer a scandi-edge for my woods carry fixed blade. Super easy to maintain an edge and it works well for wood carving. Most of my fixed blade tasks around camp involves wood craft stuff - pot holders, tent stakes, fuzz sticks, etc. Not as good as a other grinds for food prep, but it will work. It's not like I'm making chicken cordon bleu smoked over cedar wood chips. Most times I'm cutting open a pack of freeze dried stew and cooking it in a pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back