School me on pocket torches

Wow, @Dadpool is like a light encyclopedia. Awesome info and nice write up, sir. I think you also gave me the final nudge I needed to pick up a Noctigon KR4.

Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery , my primary use for a light is a bit different. Normally I'm carrying a light for general use during the day and don't need a ton of light, so really small and compact is my main metric. I have quite a few inexpensive AA/AAA models that I like simply for the small form factor and end cap button operation. Also cheap enough that a misplaced one doesn't carry to much regret (Olight i3/i5T, Thrunite TI5T, Lumintop R2.) My favourite here though and most carried is a Klarus Mi7 Ti. Its super small, with a 14500 will crank out 700 lm and of course the Ti body appeals to my edc tastes. I do agree that Ti is probably not the most optimal torch body material but c'mon, gotta enjoy it too and it sure looks sweet paired with a small sebenza 21. Also have a Reylight LAN that I really like in this range.

Out in the bush I like something a little bigger so its not getting lost and can take some abuse. I have several here, mostly all 18650 (ThruNite, Zebralight, Olight) but, oddly enough its an old pair of Fenix PD 32UE/35 that I use most often, I suppose because they have been through hell and back with me, seen all manner of abuse and are still rock solid.

I only have one light with an adjustable beam/bezel. Its a Genesis Delta, the first half decent LED flashlight I bought quite a while back. To be honest, I rarely used that feature and most of the time forgot about it entirely. I agree with the others that mileage on this feature is low if you find something that's got a decent spot with some flood to handle most uses.

Spotting bush across a field. knarfeng has it right, a tighter beam and some power is going to really help here. I have a Olight MR2 Pro Warrior that stays in my truck. I really like the MR2's rear button momentary push to go full turbo, great for spotting. However, spotting long distance can get real fun with "throwers" like this ThruNite Catapult V6 that has a beam distance rated out to 750 meters. Can't help but smile when I can light up things multiple football fields away with a light thats still shorter than my hand (gloves recommended :).)

There are definatly a lot of options out there to fit all kinds of need. For me lights are just like knives, if you like something and it works for you, thats what counts the most.

kTtIk1A.jpg

A little more criteria would be helpful...
How much do you want to spend?
How will you carry the light?

For me for pocket carry most of the more powerful lights are more inconvenient to carry. My favorite light right now is a Fenix PD25. I carry it with a single CR123 instead of a rechargeable, and I think this gives it under 500 lumens. But it is not an expensive light and it is short enough that it is easy for me to pocket carry. I find that this light is plenty bright for me. Being a Fenix fan I also have a PD35 that is 1000 lumens but it is too large for me to EDC. Olight is also a good brand with some fairly small lights. These days there are some good lights that use AA and AAA, I think there are some that have enough output to satisfy me, and they are trimmer than the CR123 lights. I've gotten used to the size of the PD25 so I'm happy to carry it.

I've never had much use for an adjustable beam.

In the old days the maglites were fun to play with for relatively long distance because you could focus the beam to a tiny spot, but in my modern lights I don't miss it.

But I've also noticed with my modern lights that the hotspot of the beam is different from brand to brand and from model to model. I got a new Fenix the other day and was comparing with my other lights and noticed differences in the spot which would affect long distance performance. If a person wants long distance performance then you have to be somewhat selective in which brands/models you pick.

I'm not very knowledgeable or that into lights, but I have a few.

I keep a little Olight I3E in my pocket. I wish I hadn't bought the copper version, I hate the smell.

My go to light is the Nightcore MH10. I have two. 1000 lumin, 18650 rechargable with micro USB charging port on the actual light. The new version, V2, is 1200 lumens, USBC, different battery.

I also have an old Streamlight Twin Task 3c that has served me well for many years, but not a pocket sized, unless you happen to be a wookiee.

I don't really understand the whole cool white vs whatever it's called deal is.

Another big thumbs up for Vinh at SkyLumen. V-54 lights are the best. I love that guy. All my lights (at least 6 but I think there are a few more) are have been modded by Vinh. His service is above excellent as is his work and his passion for his work. PM me Colman, if you want more of me gushing. He always has some ready for sale on his web site.

I've had very good results going w/ Nitecore. Combine just a few name brands & you'll have 1000's of options. Surefire, Fenix, Nitecore, Streamlight, Olight, Maglilte, Pelican, Coast & several others I'm not remembering.

Another vote for Vinh modded lights.
Recently got this titanium ToolVn AAA. Runs on lithium ions and is crazy bright. I love rubber clicky switches and I had the led of my choosing installed. It is a bit complicated as it is fully programmable but once set where I wanted it, no problem.
Pictured with a SAK Executive for size.
4ZYNkAPl.jpg

Another vote for Vinh modded lights.
Recently got this titanium ToolVn AAA. Runs on lithium ions and is crazy bright. I love rubber clicky switches and I had the led of my choosing installed. It is a bit complicated as it is fully programmable but once set where I wanted it, no problem.
Pictured with a SAK Executive for size.
4ZYNkAPl.jpg

How many lumens is this? :)

When I asked Vinh, he was a bit noncommittal. It depends on the led. I had another very similar with a very warm color temp (3000K) and he said probably around 500 lumens. This one is a Nichia 219b at 4500k so I guess a bit more. some of his mods of this light so over 700 lumens.
I have it set for 6 output levels so it will go from about 3-5 up to full output with 6 clicks. I can more than get by with the first 3 clicks.

Everyone who had answer this thread, thank you @Random Dan @knarfeng @Dcdavis GB940Rookie GB940Rookie @Danke42 @hhmoore @Dadpool Keyopp Keyopp @BITEME
B bdmicarta RayseM RayseM Venice Venice Dogdrawz Dogdrawz K.O.D. K.O.D.

I’m just getting around to processing all the info in the thread (probably only the tip of the iceburg too). So much great info.

So far, embarrassing to say, over the weekend, I picked up 3 lights. Haha.

FenixLD30
Olight Mini Warrior
And the Klarus mi7

And still shopping. :/
All this info is not going unnoticed so again, thank you for the replies.

Last edited:
Everyone who had answer this thread, thank you @Random Dan @knarfeng @Dcdavis GB940Rookie GB940Rookie @Danke42 @hhmoore @Dadpool Keyopp Keyopp @BITEME
B bdmicarta RayseM RayseM Venice Venice Dogdrawz Dogdrawz K.O.D. K.O.D.

I’m just getting around to processing all the info in the thread (probably only the tip of the iceburg too). So much great info.

So far, embarrassing to say, over the weekend, I picked up 3 lights. Haha.

FenixPD30
Olight Mini Warrior
And the Klarus mi7

And still shopping. :/
All this info is not going unnoticed so again, thank you for the replies.

Wow, PD30. Where did you find that. It was my first high end light. Still going strong today. Bought a diffuser for it, and now it’s mostly used as a portable light bulb.

Wow, PD30. Where did you find that. It was my first high end light. Still going strong today. Bought a diffuser for it, and now it’s mostly used as a portable light bulb.

My bad...it’s an LD30, but I do have a PD30
or 35? in my hunting bag. Bought it years ago.

GB940Rookie GB940Rookie

Just googled them. I have a PD30 original that I neglected an the tailcap electronics went bad, and replaced it with the PD35 a few years ago.
That was gonna bug me all night. Ha

Is there something available over the counter at a sporting goods store (ex: REI, Academy, Dick’s, Cabella, etc) that is a small form factor that can be held in the hand such as a pen light or maybe a little bigger? I’m looking for that form factor, but something totally super bright like 300-400+ lumens or brighter.

Is there something available over the counter at a sporting goods store (ex: REI, Academy, Dick’s, Cabella, etc) that is a small form factor that can be held in the hand such as a pen light or maybe a little bigger? I’m looking for that form factor, but something totally super bright like 300-400+ lumens or brighter.

Although not available locally, I've EDC'ed a single cell EagleTac Clicky for a few years (although I went from the CR123/RCR123 version to an AA/14500, and now the newer AA/14500 version). Both reach higher lumens with the Li rechargeable batteries. The AA version (XM-L2 U4 LED) is rated at around 400 lumens on high with a 14500, and the CR123 (XM-L2 U4 LED) version is rated at around 800 lumens with a RCR123. They are both pretty darn small, but I like the slightly longer AA version's feel in hand and the ability to use AA batteries if I am traveling and don't have my charger.

The throw is a good mix for indoor and outdoor uses at least out to 50 yards.

You might take a look at the Fenix HM61R headlamp. The light is removable, has 1200 lumens, magnetic base and the 18650 battery can be charged without removing. It far exceeds my Petzls for headlamps and can be used as a flashlight. Light is about 4” long but may be a little fat for edc. All depends on you. 2 purpose lights in one. Just a thought

You might take a look at the Fenix HM61R headlamp. The light is removable, has 1200 lumens, magnetic base and the 18650 battery can be charged without removing. It far exceeds my Petzls for headlamps and can be used as a flashlight. Light is about 4” long but may be a little fat for edc. All depends on you. 2 purpose lights in one. Just a thought

Thanks! I’ll check into it. Right now I use Black Diamond and Petzl lamps for hunting and ice climbing. Don’t really want those too bright. Haha.
My EDC light purpose is for in pocket, but bright enough to spot wildlife on the edge of my property.
I have a few on the way, and will update this thread again when I get to compare them.

Thanks for answering my thread. :)

I'm not sure, but I think my Thrunite TC15 checks most of your boxes. I know I'm happy with mine - ridiculous value, adjustable output, 2300 lumens on turbo, rechargeable, your choice of color temp, and only $55! You can check it out here - https://thrunite.com/tc15-black/

Not affiliated, just glad I found it

I’m gonna get one of those Noctigon KR1s. Should be good for what I need. I’ve been looking up all the leads in this thread, much appreciated.

Why do you want a Ti light? Technically it is inferior to aluminum in just about every way...except for the gorgeous polish. If you are negotiable on the material then I would strongly consider Zebralight. Fantastically small, well made, and just about as bright as anything else out there. I am assuming you are willing to make the marginal investment in a couple quality 18650 cells and a decent charger. If not, then that 1000lm isn't going to happen on anything less than 2xCR123 or 4xAA (NiMH).

That said, I love my Ti lights... Its always a toss up if the equally sized Zebralight SC64W or the less powerful Eagtac D25c Ti go into the pocket for a day hike (any over night trip gets the addition of an armytek wizard pro xhp50 warm)!

Edit: I just saw your AA requirement. 1000 lumens is a tall order off a pocket sized AA light. Might want to look into the Sofirn SF11 and Thrunite TN4A, I believe both (as well as a few others) off a 4xAA "soda can" light which makes that type of output. Otherwise, I can think of a few options..
1. Coast HP14 - reasonably bright with decent throw, focusable. Not the most reliable switch. Fairly outdated unless they have upgraded the LED recently. 4xAA about the size of a 2D maglite.
2. 5.11 XBT A6 - Love this light, it is what I keep in my truck loaded with energizer AA lithium batteries. Great throw and spill. A little dated with the LED used. 6xAA. Discontinued :(
3. Four Sevens Quark 2AA. NOT 1000 lumens but still very bright on turbo. Less throw, more of a balanced beam. Very good quality that you do pay for. Be advised that despite a truelly exceptional reputation I have personally found their customer service to be sub par.

Last edited:
Back