Schrade 152OT Sharpfinger & 156OT Little Finger

A couple of days ago i bought these two pieces of American heritage, a 152OT Sharpfinger & a 156OT Little Finger.
Both knives came from the unsold stock of a long gone knife- and fishing store in the Netherlands, and are complete with their original boxes.
Does anyone know the timeframe in which these knives were built ?

Schrade162.jpg

Schrade164.jpg

Schrade166.jpg

Schrade167.jpg

Schrade156.jpg

Schrade158.jpg

Late 70's to early 80's is a good estimate on the Sharpfinger. The knife itself has the type 1 tang stamp, and the box shows the logo used c.1977-82. The sheath is also type 2 which corresponds with the time frame for the fold down wood grained box with that logo.

The Little Finger was only made (as a regular production OT) from 1979 thru 1984, and it's box matches that of the Sharpfinger, so it is likely also c. 1979-1982.

Without seeing the papers, this is the best I can do. If the knives were ordered by the dealer at the same time, that gives you a four year spread on their likely manufacture dates. Not bad for un-date marked knives more than 25 years old!

Congratulations on the find! Both are great users, or collectors if you prefer.

Thanks guys for all the detailed info about the two knives, :thumbup:
They are not going to be used as i already have quite a lot of users, and i don't think i will find these two again in the same pristine condition complete with original box from that era.

I do however own another USA made Sharpfinger in 1095 steel that is being used.
Personally i would have liked it if the edge had been a little longer since there certainly is room for it, but i can manage without.
Would love to see the model brought back in 3V steel, for instance as a midtech version from one of the forum makers.

The 156OT is a cool looking knife. I've never handled one.

I bought a used one some years ago and skinned several deer with it. That little leaf blade does work all our of proportion to it's size, IMHO.

IIRC, this was the knife that some one-time poster popped in and announced that it was designed by maker L.C. Finger, but he never got credit or royalties. I've not heard anything further on this claim since. And haven't seen exampled of the claimed designer's knives to see if there are similarities.

Here is one example of a knife attributed to L.C. Finger:
http://www.bobticeknives.com/5_16_finger.jpg

G'day Codger,When you say that is type 2 sheath above...I just got some of my brown box 152OT out and I feel that may be type 3?
The very earliest 152OT in brown box is on the left and the next brown box on the right. The straps are a different shape even though they both tie down the same.<am I being too pedantic in saying this is a variation as it may well have been the Schrade leatherman suffering from a hangover?>..both however are significantly different to kwackster's sheath which I feel may have been a later version sheath replacement.The paperwork in both brown boxes was different as well with the very first shown full frame....
Comments?....
Nice knives kwacksters, you have excellent taste in Schrades mate...I too reckon the Little Finger is great and its a wonder Schrade did not produce them longer.....Hoo Roo

Attachments

• P9220001.jpg
    P9220001.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 26
  • P9220005.jpg
    P9220005.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 32
  • P9220006.jpg
    P9220006.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 27
  • P9220007.jpg
    P9220007.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 30
  • P9220008.jpg
    P9220008.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
..few more photos...

Attachments

• P9220003.jpg
    P9220003.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 15
  • P9220002.jpg
    P9220002.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 9
  • P9220004.jpg
    P9220004.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 13
The two sheaths with choil straps I count as Type 1. Yes, the tail of the strap was rounded after the first few, and before the Type 2 came out. That one has the handle retainer strap. Variants of the Type 2 also exist. They eventually did away with the little "scoop" at the neck of the sheath that let the knife sit a bit deeper. And then there is the SAS-19? (I fergit but it was also available as a replacement accesory sheath) that is shaped like the tubular sheath of the 156OT. It is seen for a while, and mostly with Limited Editions and Schrimshaw 152's. I bet there are dozens of minor changes as well that have escaped notice such as stitch color and patterns. And the thin accent lines rolled into the edges of the belt hangers. Some sheaths were made by one supplier, some by another. Schrade eventually made many of their sheaths inhouse.

I bought 2 x Sharpfingers back in '81ish.
One for son and one for self. Son's standard brown handle.
Mine had a Stag handle with Game scene engraving on it.
Beautiful little knife. Till the then landlady wanted it more than me.
Could never prove it. it just vanished out of drawer in my room,
only two in house.

Welcome to the Schrade Collectors' forum, macka17! Yeah, most of us have had knives stolen at some point. But good news is that in today's internet age you can still buy a new in the box original most any day of the week!

Codger, Have a sharpfinger with a very deep stamp...SCHRADE U.S.A. l52 any help for year would be great. Going to try to get a pic up. Thanks, Nick
AF1QipOjCTWWf9RWbK4VDgSyXbINX-C36br4Hrx31lV_

Last edited:
Codger, Have a sharpfinger with a very deep stamp...SCHRADE U.S.A. l52 any help for year would be great. Going to try to get a pic up. Thanks, Nick
Hi Nick! I use upl.com now. Very simple.

Show the original sheath and packaging as well if possible.

Back