Schrade 152OT Sharpfinger

Have a new guy at work that brought his knife in to work for me to see. It is an old 154OT with brown scales with white under it. Was this common with the scales? I don't own a Sharpfinger so I was wondering. Also at the start of this thread I didn't see brown as being a handle color. Thought people would like to see a well used Sharpfinger. He is a retired Seabee. I will pass any comments to him. Thank You

9zqkwXF.jpg

iKRue5j.jpg

Yeah. During the time this knife was made (1976-88), they used a cream base material and hot dyed it brown. Then on the top, bottom and butt where it was buffed flush with the exposed tang, the dye on the top of the Delrin was removed. It gave a sort of visual "bone" effect. The brown dye was also of a more reddish hue than later production. This effect will be seen on both this Drop Point Hunter and the Sharpfinger since they (and the 158OT which replaced the 154OT after 1988) all shared the same scales and construction. The base material color changed several times over the years, just slightly, but noticeable if you look at enough examples..

Good morning:

I am new in this forum, and this is the thread that threw me in.

First of all, I want to thank Codger for his entusiasm and his generosity with the information he has gathered throughout these years.

A week ago I was able to buy a Sharpfinger "The Big Stag" model, and found Codger´s thread, looking out for info in the net...

I got in touch with the people in SMKW and asked about the Deer Series, because Codger mentioned that possibly these knives were a special issue for SMKV..., and they have just confirmed that the four knives shown in this tread are the only ones made, and that they were made as a special issue for them on the 2000 year. Brian Wilhoite, Senior Designer of Special Projects even sent a photograph of the imprinted publicity. There were 1500 pieces of each one of the models made for sale. I will try to insert the photo as soon as possible.

I hope to learn a lot more in this Forum.
Thanks! Every bit of information helps! I count five in the set but perhaps one was a predecessor that gave them the idea of the series which followed. They are handsome etches when found pristine.

On The Run
The Big Stag
Hunter’s Dream
The Getaway
Hunter’s Companion

Also I recently came across something I had been watching for for a while. The 1988 True Value Hardware Limited Edition, albeit in the white fold down box. I already had one in the felted tray gift box, but they were sold both ways.

363-1988-True-Value-11569104720.jpg

Hello Everyone,

I've been collecting for years and came across this one. Would anyone have any info on this Sharpfinger? It looks like an SFO but it's a Heritage. So is it part of the Heritage series?
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
SFO for the Bass Pro Gift set

NEW ITEM LISTING REVISION
CATALOG #:SGS1BP PRODUCT FAMILY: Gift Set
DESCRIPTION:
CONTENTS:New H152 Knife H834 Bulk (S0905450)
PACKAGING:
OUANTITY: 500
Distribution:
DATE: 6/6/01
Bass Pro has accepted a New Gift Set consisting of our existing H834 knife with ss
blades that will have an existing "Bass Pro Shops" logo blade etch on the clip
blade and existing "Bass Pro "shield. The other knife will be our 152 knife with
Burgundy Delrin Saw Cut handles with New Bass Pro shield. 152 Must have
Heritage tang stamp & Stainless Steel blade. Blade should be etched with
existing "Bass Pro Shops" blade etch. We will pack both knives in our existing
SGSI black box wi "Bass Pro Shops' screened on lid. New vac tray must have
existing Schrade Cutlery Mylar logo on it.

Shield # 12593 (for H834)
New Shield # (for H152) Made in House
7020124 - SGS1 Gift Box- Needs part number for screening Bass Pro Shops
7180711 - Warranty
7070019 - Sleeve
Shipped 8/1/01

Just like old times, lrv the font of most USA Schrade Manufacture details.....great to see you're still the right side of the turf mate...I thought you must have hibernated for a verrry long winter......have you still got all your lovely Schrades?...remember when you, Codger and me were the 'Three Knifekateers?'.....we had a lot of fun for about a Schrade decade, after the factory closure when many Schrade bladeware/artefacts were still available..., poking bears, making Schrade discoveries, and discussing their history and merits and posting photos good enough to eat..most Schrades are now tucked away in collections........good times and comraderie….Hoo Roo from Oz...

really appreciate all you guys with your great knowledge and willingness to share it. plus let's just say it Schrade are my favorite knives.

SFO for the Bass Pro Gift set

NEW ITEM LISTING REVISION
CATALOG #:SGS1BP PRODUCT FAMILY: Gift Set
DESCRIPTION:
CONTENTS:New H152 Knife H834 Bulk (S0905450)
PACKAGING:
OUANTITY: 500
Distribution:
DATE: 6/6/01
Bass Pro has accepted a New Gift Set consisting of our existing H834 knife with ss
blades that will have an existing "Bass Pro Shops" logo blade etch on the clip
blade and existing "Bass Pro "shield. The other knife will be our 152 knife with
Burgundy Delrin Saw Cut handles with New Bass Pro shield. 152 Must have
Heritage tang stamp & Stainless Steel blade. Blade should be etched with
existing "Bass Pro Shops" blade etch. We will pack both knives in our existing
SGSI black box wi "Bass Pro Shops' screened on lid. New vac tray must have
existing Schrade Cutlery Mylar logo on it.

Shield # 12593 (for H834)
New Shield # (for H152) Made in House
7020124 - SGS1 Gift Box- Needs part number for screening Bass Pro Shops
7180711 - Warranty
7070019 - Sleeve
Shipped 8/1/01

Thank you very VERY much for the info.

Do you think this was one of the orders canceled prior to 2003? Or do you think the full 500 were shipped?

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the knowledge I am a newer collector and own a sharpfinger and I absolutely love it. This information is truly wonderful!!!

I'm very glad that people are still finding the info in this thread useful. New information comes to the top still after all of these years.

Here is a 502SC Scrimshaw which I had not seen until a friend on the other side of the planet brought it to my attention. For some years Imperial Schrade made special event knives as commemoratives and fundraiser events for the local Ellenville Wawarsing area. 4th of July and Christmas lighting being two prominent ones. Here is the Sharpfinger used for the 1995 Christmas lighting fundraiser. A local landmark building on the mark side and the municipal seal with text "Happy Holidays 1995" on the pile side. Records show the quantity of these produced would be 100 pieces. And of course the distribution would have been almost entirely local, not nationwide.
371-Happy-Holidays-1995-11569104858.jpg

371-Happy-Holidays-1995-21569104944.jpg

There was a second use of the 502SC pattern for the Christmas Lighting Program in 2001. Art was the D&H Canal Office and as with the earlier issue, the order was for 100 pieces. I need an example of that one.

Here is one I didn't get (yet), 1989 Ellenville Wawarsing 4th of July. Records show an order of 300 pieces.

372-1989-Ellenville-Wawarsing-4th-of-July1569105020.jpg

Somebuddy in the area know of one of these in the wild?

Last edited:
Its been my casual observation that Schrade put out a good variety of scrims specifically for the support of local events in that area surrounding the manufacturing and business plants.

That would be an interesting sub-collecting niche. Which I have no doubt someone is undertaking.

Its been my casual observation that Schrade put out a good variety of scrims specifically for the support of local events in that area surrounding the manufacturing and business plants.

That would be an interesting sub-collecting niche. Which I have no doubt someone is undertaking.
Oh not I! Seems that Sharpfingers were an exception for these event enhancement knives, so I should not have to find many different ones. Folding pattern were most commonly used. In fact, 1996 Wawarsing Christmas Lighting Program was a folding hunter.

Since the factory liquidation I have seen a few yellow Delrin handled Sharpfingers. Not many, perhaps six or less. I don't know if they were intended to be a SFO order or if they were just a color sample run. They have the last tangstamp and hollow ground blades, so are late production.
375-yellow1569105126.jpg

Not sure what it looks like in real life but based on the color in the picture you could mistake it for part of the Camillus Yellow Jaket series. Nice.

After some searching, I found a years old post from a forum friend who has since passed. He identified it as a SFO for Smokey Mountain Knife Works. Now to see if anyone there has info on the date and quantity made. Or maybe someone has a stack of their old catalog mailers!

1991 - Another special issue is the 152OTO knife with hunter orange Delrin handle and "OLD TIMER" or “LIMITED EDITION” shield. It was commissioned by Smokey Mountain Knife Works circa 1991 for inclusion in their "father and son" hunting sets with the 165OTO "DEERHUNTER", 15OTO "LIMITED EDITION", and 158OTO with an "OLD TIMER" shield. The original production 152OTO most often are found with sheaths having a deer head image embossed on the front. Quite a number of these orange handled knives appeared for sale after the Schrade closing, so they are unique, but not really rare. I believe these used the 1095HC carbon steel blades and had the standard "Schrade USA 152" tangstamp. “Father and Son” sets (152OTO and 15OTO) were again offered in 1998.

380-1991--152OTO1569105218.jpg

380-1991--152OTO-Sheath1569105276.jpg

Last edited:
Back