Schrade 152OT Sharpfinger

Since the U.S. Tobacco Skoal/Copenhagen sets came up, I have looked through my photo archives and online for more pictures of the 154G or SK154 knives which were premium offers with purchase of those products.
154G-LE-21568234475.jpg

The top 154G has been in my collection for years. It came in the plain white box so marked on the end flap. Only the tang stamp identifies it with the UST product. It came with the green 7007180711 warranty paper which lists the website and has a 1998 copyright.The bottom knife is the one most often seen and is immediately identifiable with the product due to the special coined shield and bold blade etch, not to mention the green special box which matches the more prolific slipjoint and lockback patterns from the same offer period. All examples I have seen are with 700718279 warranty paper.

No clue whether the white box knives are from a lot remaindered to SMKW or another after the UST deal ended, or perhaps preceded the UST deal. Are there others? I have only seen one 152 Sharpfinger pattern with green handle, shown above as a LE for a state game agency.

We know that the 154OT was not a cataloged item after 1988. So this pattern had to be "revived" either with fresh blanks or using up a stockpile of earlier unstamped, unground blanks. The pattern was used again in 1998 for the Limited Edition Wildlife set with the 501SC tang stamp and the 1983 "Bear & Hound" artwork.

Last edited:
UST (U. S. Tobacco) was a good customer of special knives and sets for some years as they sponsored and promoted different outdoor sports. Here is one I recently came across, part of a three knife set with birdseye maple handles. It featured also a special coined bronze shield and "Copenhagen Skoal Outdoors" blade etch. A brief search shows the trademark applied for in the early nineties and then abandoned.

33w2x43.jpg

21mhfs8.jpg

2ec15bm.jpg
I found my factory records notes on this set:
UST95CSO - 3 pc. event enhancement set, 152BEM, 877BEM, LB7DPBEM w/ birdseye maple Fibron handles, antiqued brass Schrade Cutlery shield, Brass bolsters, "Copenhagen / SKOAL Outdoors" blade etches, display box w/ glass lid, vac tray, Ship 1/2/95 - 242 pcs.

Almost forgot. There were four sets in this series of orders, all from 1995.

UST95PR - "Copenhagen / SKOAL Pro Rodeo" blade etches - 298 pcs.

UST95PC - "Copenhagen / SKOAL Pulling Circuit" blade etches - 96 pcs.

UST95BR - "Copenhagen / SKOAL Bandit Racing" blade etches - 308 pcs.

UST95CSO - "Copenhagen / SKOAL Outdoors" blade etches - 242 pcs.

So some of the editions are going to be more rare than others.

you know i love coming to this site. not as often as i use to since i have made retirement and am soooo busy doing "nothing". thanks again for all the great photos and insight into our shared passion.

now that is a beauty!
Yes it is! The birdseye maple Fibron was used on several special issues including the 100th anniversary knife and, if I remember correctly, at least one Ducks Unlimited issue. Figure in the wood varies and some show impressive burl "eyes" while others are rather plain looking. When this one arrives I'll see about getting a family photo with my anniversary issue.

Oh... and UST95PC is the identifier of the complete set, not the 152 issue from that set. So far I have only seen it referred to as 152BEM, same as stamped (ink stamp) on the end flap of the box my anniversary knife came in. But since there were four different UST knives in this series only different in their event etches, I think it appropriate to use the set identifier. Otherwise I would need to invent one such as 152BEMUST95PC. Gah!

Last edited:
I'm glad you got it. I'd been drooling over it for weeks but never could bring myself to pull the trigger. Can't wait to see what he puts up next. Sharpfinger flavored of course!

I'm glad you got it. I'd been drooling over it for weeks but never could bring myself to pull the trigger. Can't wait to see what he puts up next. Sharpfinger flavored of course!

I was the same. I kept looking at it and it kept saying to me "signature Williams, very nicely done!" His fully customized knives are drool worthy. After more than a decade of Schrade collecting I had yet to add one of H. Williams knives to my collection due to the cost but knew I'd grab one someday. This one just called to me. I figured I'd waited long enough. His prices are totally reasonable for the amount and quality of the work and I had a minor windfall. I'm partial to those 3D Old Timer shields he chose for this one. Similar to the "Compliments of Schrade" knives. Totally a major add to my collection.

Hi! New Sharpfinger owner here with a couple of questions.

I'm a carpenter, and I was looking for a good fixed-blade belt knife to replace the series of crappy folding disposable-blade utility knives I'd been using at work. Sure they work, but the belt clips are always the first thing to go, and a drop to a concrete floor never does them any favors. Also, those dang disposable blades never stay sharp. I decided it was time to look for the right tool.

Since I'm also a crime-fiction author, I happened to stumble across the Sharpfinger design while researching outlaw bikers for a book in progress (apparently the Sharpfinger is Hells Angels' founder Sonny Barger's favorite knife) and was instantly taken with the design - elegant, functional, compact, legal to carry and above all sturdy. So after discovering through more research that the American-made originals were better, I poked around eBay until I found one for sale. $35 and six days of waiting later, I had my knife.

After two days of using it on the job, my only thought was "oh baby, where you been all my life?"

Seriously; the Sharpfinger lives up to its reputation in all the ways. Since owning it for a month I've used mine for everything from carpentry tasks to snack preparation, and its done every job I've asked of it better than any knife I've owned. Its edge-retention in particular has been a dream come true...I don't know what breed of steel Schrade used in its knives, but its tough stuff! The other day I used mine to clean a putty knife that a co-worker had put away covered in dried glue, and then promptly turned around and cut two dozen lengths of lumber wrap. It stayed sharp. I was impressed.

My only real complaint is that the sheath (while very well-made) is designed for a right-handed person, and I'm a southpaw so drawing it is a bit of a pain. Which leads to Question the First:

Does anyone know a good place to acquire a lefty-friendly sheath for my new best friend? Did the Schrade company ever address this? Are there custom sheath-makers who have, and if so does anyone have any recommendations?

My next question involves the possible value of the knife itself. I gave this thread a scan and thanks to Codger's very informative early posts, it looks like mine is the 1981 Scrimshaw model. It has the white Delrin handle with a "ram" image on the "stamped" side of the knife, an empty plaque-style engraving where someone could put their initials on the other, and the blade is stamped:

SCHRADE
USA SC502

The sheath is black leather with an angled strap over the lower finger groove.

(I would have posted pictures, but I can't seem to make my phone and my computer talk to each other right now.)

This leads to Question the Second: Does this knife have value as a collector's item? As y'all have probably guessed I bought this knife to use it, but I'd like to make sure I didn't accidentally score a rare-bird collectible before I continue to beat the snarf out of it at work.

Any answers are welcome, and thanks for your time.

Welcome to the forum, DS! Glad you found the Sharpfinger useful as many of us have!

As to being a collector item, usually only in new, unused condition. For being limited editions, they made quite a few of them in that series. The "limited" part was because the art was used in only one year. So use yours as you please. You will not reduce it's value as an excellent user.

The steel in your blade is 1095HC high carbon steel. The "secret" in that Schrade steel is in the heat treat and quench process. But if the suceptabity to corrosion bothers you, the later knives were stainless. Still good steel.

As to the sheath, Schrade never made a Southpaw version that I have seen in my two decades of buying, using And collecting. A custom maker can certainly make one for you either a mirror of the one you have or another design. I have also seen custom cross draw sheaths on eBay almost constantly and for a decent price. I'm sure by now that you have seen the three basic factory sheath designs and the one you have is the first design. The pouch style sheath used from 1983-1988 might fit your needs better but I can't say for certain. They are friction retention with no strap though, so that could be a problem for you with the crawling and climbing carpenters often do.

When I worked construction I used the last design with the handle strap and had no retention problems. Your earliest design with the choil strap did tend to come unfastened and also often cut after uncareful draw and replacement. Thus the reason, explained by the factory historian, for the last design.

Beware of the newer Chinese sheath on eBay. They are cheaper leather, often reconstituted from leather fibers like cardboard. One seller only sells the real deal. He is the factory customizer Herman Williams. Searching his name will bring them up for you. Another possibility is the newer cordura nylon sheaths. I used one for a while made by another manufacturer and it worked fine with the bonus of not absorbing and retaining moisture like leather. But all are still right handed.

Hope this has helped. And welcome again to the home of us few Schrade Sharpfinger fans! America works with Schrade. Still!

Michael

Thanks for the answers, all very helpful!

I'll stick with the carbon-steel blade. The shop I work in is more fabrication than install, so I'm usually indoors and don't have to do much outside work. Besides, call me a romantic but I've always appreciated the patina and "heft" of older carbon-steel tools. I'm not a knife expert but I own several vintage chisels and hand planes; they have the same look and feel in use.

As to the sheath, guess there's still no love for us lefties, haha! Totally became aware of the strap problem with the first-pattern sheath right off the bat; the first time I went to put it away I almost sliced it clean off. Currently I'm carrying it on my left hip with the handle curved forward, which makes putting it away a two handed operation if I want to avoid mangling the strap. Haven't yet had an issue with the snap coming open though.

I did come across several "Scout" style sheaths, but I'm not a fan of that design. It looks awkward, and thanks to local laws being what they are (I live in Washington state, and our knife regulations are a bit goofy) carrying it that way with a jacket on would count as "concealed carry" which is illegal. My lady is a crafter and knows leatherworking, I'll see if she can gin something up for me.

Once again, thanks for your help!

I'm a Washington transplant now too. I'll keep the CC advice on mind. I've been spoiled by living in more Constitutional states where the right to carry a knife is not infringed.

I am also quite fond of old fashioned carbon steel. I know how to treat a good tool and never found patina or corrosion to be a factor for me.

I'm a Washington transplant now too. I'll keep the CC advice on mind. I've been spoiled by living in more Constitutional states where the right to carry a knife is not infringed.

Since you've been nice enough to advise me, I'll give you what I know about this situation. Like I said I write crime novels set in Washington so I did a heap of research on knife/gun carry.

WA knife law is a cruddy combination of "vague statute, ridiculous precedent"; most knife types and terms aren't defined very well in the statutes, and the courts around here have made some bad interpretations. When it comes to fixed blades and open carry, the State rule is under 5 inches, single edged. I do know that Seattle and Olympia have municipal codes that forbid the carry of fixed blades period, I don't know about other large cities.

According to the cops I talked with, their general rule of thumb is if it doesn't look like you're trying to conceal the knife (and you don't look like you're up to no good) they will leave you alone, double points if you're an obvious outdoorsy type sporting a utility style knife. Also according to them their main interest is in regulating the behavior of young punks trying to pull dumb stunts with weapons carry (which let's face it, young punks are wont to do). A grown adult like you or me, they'll leave alone. As one officer put it to me, "we have better things to do".

When I'm out and about, I generally keep the handle of my Sharpfinger under the hem of my Carhartt jacket, which leaves enough of the sheath exposed that people can see it, but its not obvious. So far nobody has complained.

Where WA laws really suck is how "brandishing" is enforced. The courts have ruled that not only do you not have to draw your knife to be guilty of brandishing, intent is not required either. So technically, someone could see your knife, be bothered that you have it, sic the law on you and have an actual leg to stand on...which is so ridiculous I can't even with it. However, I asked the local cops about that too, and they told me that they still have discretion on whether or not to arrest, so the reality is if you aren't doing anything wrong and stay calm and courteous (e.g. "don't fail the a-hole test") you will be fine. According to my research the court case which set this rather ridiculous precedent involved a verbal argument where the person with the knife was inebriated and acting threatening in the general sense (never a wise thing to do when armed) and the judge decided to throw the book at him.

So in the end while the laws look harsh, common sense and courtesy are likely to see an honest citizen looking to legitimately exercise his or her rights quite well if someone else decides to be an intrusive idiot. I hope that helps!

..oh yeah, and this is the reality out in Western WA where I live. If you're east of the Cascades, the situation is quite a bit more permissive.

Edited to add: To bring this back to topic, another in the already-lengthy reasons why I've come to like the Sharpfinger is in how it is so small. When sheathed, it doesn't project an intimidating, "I'm a paranoid survivalist" attitude to the people around me. Since I live in a community with a lot of liberals (including the annoying kind who want to regulate everything), this is helpful. Furthermore, as far as I can tell its one of the few iconic knife designs with no media/popular mental connections to war, violence or crime the way Bowies, KA-BARs, etc. do. Thus if "the worst" should ever happen and I DO need to use it for self-defense, its presence on my belt is easily explained as a tool used in extremis rather than a weapon carried by me because I wanted to stab someone.

Last edited:

I am also quite fond of old fashioned carbon steel. I know how to treat a good tool and never found patina or corrosion to be a factor for me.

Since you've been nice enough to advise me, I'll give you what I know about this situation. Like I said I write crime novels set in Washington so I did a heap of research on knife/gun carry.

WA knife law is a cruddy combination of "vague statute, ridiculous precedent"; most knife types and terms aren't defined very well in the statutes, and the courts around here have made some bad interpretations. When it comes to fixed blades and open carry, the State rule is under 5 inches, single edged. I do know that Seattle and Olympia have municipal codes that forbid the carry of fixed blades period, I don't know about other large cities.

According to the cops I talked with, their general rule of thumb is if it doesn't look like you're trying to conceal the knife (and you don't look like you're up to no good) they will leave you alone, double points if you're an obvious outdoorsy type sporting a utility style knife. Also according to them their main interest is in regulating the behavior of young punks trying to pull dumb stunts with weapons carry (which let's face it, young punks are wont to do). A grown adult like you or me, they'll leave alone. As one officer put it to me, "we have better things to do".

When I'm out and about, I generally keep the handle of my Sharpfinger under the hem of my Carhartt jacket, which leaves enough of the sheath exposed that people can see it, but its not obvious. So far nobody has complained.

Where WA laws really suck is now "brandishing" is enforced. The courts have ruled that not only do you not have to draw your knife to be guilty of brandishing, intent is not required either. So technically, someone could see your knife, be bothered that you have it, sic the law on you and have an actual leg to stand on...which is so ridiculous I can't even with it. However, I asked the local cops about that too, and they told me that they still have discretion on whether or not to arrest, so the reality is if you aren't doing anything wrong and stay calm and courteous (e.g. "don't fail the a-hole test") you will be fine. According to my research the court case which set this rather ridiculous precedent involved a verbal argument where the person with the knife was inebriated and acting threatening in the general sense (never a wise thing to do when armed) and the judge decided to throw the book at him.

So in the end while the laws look harsh, common sense and courtesy are likely to see an honest citizen looking to legitimately exercise his or her rights quite well if someone else decides to be an intrusive idiot. I hope that helps!

..oh yeah, and this is the reality out in Western WA where I live. If you're east of the Cascades, the situation is quite a bit more permissive.

Guys, in the same boat as you both are in Western WA....but hopefully when retirement hits I can take all my toys and leave this crazy state. It sure has changed over the years.

Since the U.S. Tobacco Skoal/Copenhagen sets came up, I have looked through my photo archives and online for more pictures of the 154G or SK154 knives which were premium offers with purchase of those products.

The top 154G has been in my collection for years. It came in the plain white box so marked on the end flap. Only the tang stamp identifies it with the UST product. It came with the green 7007180711 warranty paper which lists the website and has a 1998 copyright.The bottom knife is the one most often seen and is immediately identifiable with the product due to the special coined shield and bold blade etch, not to mention the green special box which matches the more prolific slipjoint and lockback patterns from the same offer period. All examples I have seen are with 700718279 warranty paper.

No clue whether the white box knives are from a lot remaindered to SMKW or another after the UST deal ended, or perhaps preceded the UST deal. Are there others? I have only seen one 152 Sharpfinger pattern with green handle, shown above as a LE for a state game agency.

We know that the 154OT was not a cataloged item after 1988. So this pattern had to be "revived" either with fresh blanks or using up a stockpile of earlier unstamped, unground blanks. The pattern was used again in 1998 for the Limited Edition Wildlife set with the 501SC tang stamp and the 1983 "Bear & Hound" artwork.
I captured an example of the SK154 NIB at a fair price.

SK154-51570854585.jpg

And our Schrade librarian searched out the new Product sheet and production records on them.

SK154
CATALOG#: SK154
{NEW ITEM LISTING}
UNITED STATES TOBACCO
PRODUCT FAMILY: SKOAL - RIGID BLADE
DESCRIPTION: 154 PATTERN WITH GREEN SAWCUT HANDLES
"SKOAL" ETCHED BLADE. STANDARD 154 SHEATH
BRASS SNAPS
ANTIOUE BRASS COINED "SKOAL" HANDLE SHIELD
CONTENTS: 1 - SK154
PACKAGING: BOX - NEW
POLY BAG
BROCHURE
STANDARD SHEATH - 154
UPC # REQUIRED: FILM REQUIRED:
PRICE: Distributor $16.00 variety
Retail Special Net Price
TO START
ESTIMATED QUANTITY: 1,500 REQUESTED SHIP DATE: 1/2/95

Year- Qty. shipped
1996- 1
1997- 1
1998- 18
1999- 13
2000- 1435
2001- 174
2002- 328
Total- 1970 pcs shipped.

So they are a bit more rare than I had anticipated, but evidently had a higher than usual survival rate.

And... I finally gave in and bought one of the infamous "pallet" knives. Finished Sharpfinger blades sent by someone to China to have pressed wood handles installed with too-small brass rivets.

Sellers on the bay have been going crazy with stories and prices, but I found one as cheap as an original used knife, so made an offer. I'll see if this brown wood example has the loose handles that I have heard about on many of them. The tang stamps vary but this example has the last stock stamp, also the hollow grind.

There is another on now that the seller claims to have had in storage over fifteen years. Guys, someone remind me as to when the wood handled pallet knives first showed up here?
152OT-Pallet-Knife1570854780.jpg

Added a new one to my Sharpfinger collection. H152 Bass Pro SFO shown in post #364. Mine came single from a broken up set.

2001-Bass-Pro-H152-11569205979.jpg

This is the only use, that I am currently aware of, of the burgundy handle on the 152 pattern.

Another Sharpfinger "get". Reference materials to see what SMKW offered when. Kevin Pipes told me the catalogs were not available from their archives so... I made an eBay seller a deal for the batch, 1997-2001. Wonder what I will find?
SMKW-199720011569206274.jpg

ETA: If anyone has issues before or after these and wishes to share them, mailed or scanned, I would be much obliged!

Last edited:
Back