Schrade 152OT Sharpfinger

Another SGS-1 gift set. Last sheath, first stamp on plain ground blade so post 1988 and pre 2001.

ByI2C8B.jpg

How about a review of Schrade Sharpfinger magazine ads? I've shown these before in this thread but the images were wiped out. These are from current eBay offerings. I own most of the original ads but don't have archived photos to post.

Beginning in 1974 Schrade sought to increase sales of the Sharpfinger by placing creative ads in leading outdoors magazines.

1974-75 -
cTUogC5.jpg

1976-77
M63Qr3J.jpg

B9nZy4N.jpg

1979-80
0rhUrhs.jpg

CeRxgeA.jpg

iBnFNNx.jpg

QPDsZus.jpg

Reactions: 315
With the help of a friend once again, I found an example of these issues from the 1987 SMKW catalog.

WnZygPH.jpg

gsqGyvQ.jpg

I believe this series was either pad printed or silkscreen printed rather than hot die stamped. I won't know for certain until the knife is in hand.
I located my saved images of two more of this art series from SMKW.
Bird Hunter and Duck Hunter.
ypZZvlN.jpg

Looking at the ads in all the outdoor sporting mags was as a kid was usually better the articles.

Well until the Pennys catalogue showed up with its womens, "Foundation" section.:D

Here is a special factory order option not often seen on this pattern. Leed Energy Services, oil field supplier, ordered their knives from stock 152OT inventory with their text hot stamped into the pile side handle. I've most often seen this option used on smaller Old Timer pocketknives.

x9hv9iK.jpg

Another Sharpfinger clampack. This is one of the later bonus packs made for, I believe, Walmart sales. It includes a booklet and enameled pin for "IHEA", International Hunter Education Association. Card design indicates circa 2001-2002. Blade grind indicates pre - July 2001.

be7kkYE.jpg

A question came up on social media about the Herman Williams customized Sharpfingers. So I am reposting the three from my collection here. As one might imagine, they are priceless to me. Each has unique custom features.

vrdrZjw.jpg

CNMlms3.jpg

HeLAyOZ.jpg

My latest Sharpfinger, a SFO for The Tharpe Corporation. It dates to circa 1992-2000.
bZFCpXE.jpg

tc6vuOw.jpg

Michael! That's very cool. I've never seen a Tharpe fixed blade, just folders. I've got its brother in a 127UH version.

Eric

Michael! That's very cool. I've never seen a Tharpe fixed blade, just folders. I've got its brother in a 127UH version.

Eric
Eric, the first order that came up on a records search was in 1988 for 2,500 125SC using the 500SC ivory covers. Next in 1994, an 8OT and 167UH both with winewood covers and a pinecone shield, 400 each, and a matching 160OT, 300 pieces, LB-7 400 pieces. Then 1997 PH-1 pattern in burnt stag and Baron gold etch 100 pieces, LB-5 matching but less the gold filled etch 100 pieces, 1999 was a 153UH replacing the PH-1 200 pieces. and the orders archive is very incomplete as I have seen the scrim art used on other patterns including a few sets.

Here is a picture I archived of a set made for Tharpe - TVA in 1997 (which does not show in the archives).
EjdLjN3.jpg

Here is one that is rather unique. I failed to win the bid for this one recently. Someone wanted it much worse evidently as bidding went into nosebleed territory. A stock 152OT in every way except that the covers are undyed ivory sawcut Delrin. The hollow grind puts the blade in post July 2001 production. I will be watching for another one to appear in the future.

2Op9dhp.jpg

Possible clues with this one as to dates of engineering change of tang stamp and packaging changes. Still researching to narrow down the dates.

Vg9S1H0.jpg

OYIDDPN.jpg

This is one I recently saw though I don't own an example yet. In 1998 SMKW sold the Sharpfinger in conjunction with Safari International with a special blade etch, Sportsmen United For Conservation & Preservation. Limited to 500 pieces, 10% of the sale was donated to that organization.

B1Aj1kz.png

X2XsIoK.png

h6LTf96.jpg

Here is a series of three SFO knives which came up for sale. All made over the years for the N.Y. State Southern Tier Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Foundation. 1988 152OT, 1989 154OT (with SC handles) and a 1995 518SC. The 518SC is serialized, 080, on the mark side just above the tang stamp.
ELVwHaG.jpg

KcVdOG6.jpg

Sqg0qFN.jpg

The Sharp-fingers are still looking fine, how is Old Mate Codger, holding up... Ken.

Back