Schrade 152OT Sharpfinger

Finally got the upload. Nothing earth shattering, just some Sharpfinger bling and blanks.

Nice stuff! I think I recognize the pin on your hat as from the 2020 SHOT Show? I nearly grabbed one myself.

I wonder if there are other "NYS, Southern Tier Chapter" Schrade knives out there. That's a 5-year gap between the 1989 and 1995 commemoratives. I'll be watching out for them now.

Nice stuff! I think I recognize the pin on your hat as from the 2020 SHOT Show? I nearly grabbed one myself.

I wonder if there are other "NYS, Southern Tier Chapter" Schrade knives out there. That's a 5-year gap between the 1989 and 1995 commemoratives. I'll be watching out for them now.
There was a NYS STC SC507 lockback in 1986 before the ones I showed. Not sure how many more or the dates if so.

Yep, Shot Show hat pin. A friend sent it to me after I admired his. And another collector friend sent me the belt buckle which needs some polishing.

Here is an issue not often seen. From the 1998 four knife set titled, "Wildlife Collector's Limited Edition" which was a reprisal of the 1996 inletted lasered oak box set, "Wildlife for Tomorrow". This four knife set featured a 154UH Scrimshaw ( not the 501SC one might expect) with the reuse of the 1983 'bear and hound" artwork of Frank Giorgianni which was also used mirrored on the K-Mart SFO SC205 in 1983. I note that the 154UH pattern had been discontinued from the catalogs the previous year after a short four year production run.

zDlioWU.jpg

kyIPTRv.jpg

Dear all,
I am french and i will try to use a correct vocabulary.
I just aquired a Schrade Sharpfinger.
In France, except for the knives collectors we do not have a real culture of the american Brands as Schrade. We were mainly able to find some for the hunters but it was just a "hunter knife".

I am interrested by US knives for their quality, history and stories (industrial or human).
I already have few old timers or uncle Henry.
I found a Sharpfinder as a second hand of course made in US.
I said second hand but this one is brand new, never used, never sharpened.

Blade inox (Schrade+).
Jagbone.
A Duck cut out in the blade (the Federal "flying" duck).
There was no box, no stamp and no badge on the bone.
This one is the same model as the 15th anniversary (of federal duck?).

The blade is shapen as it was "in the box", we can even see the original stripes on the edge of the blade.
The blade itself is satin, without any scratch.

I am annoyed, i do not know if i should use it or if i should keep brand new as a collector.
I am not really a collector, i always use a little bit all my knives.
Maybe i should finf another one in 1095 that can be used without any remorses.

Just to share some pictures,
Regards.

Last edited:
Dear all,
I am french and i will try to use a correct vocabulary.
I just aquired a Schrade Sharpfinger.
In France, except for the knives collectors we do not have a real culture of the american Brands as Schrade. We were mainly able to find some for the hunters but it was just a "hunter knife".

I am interrested by US knives for their quality, history and stories (industrial or human).
I already have few old timers or uncle Henry.
I found a Sharpfinder as a second hand of course made in US.
I said second hand but this one is brand new, never used, never sharpened.

Blade inox (Schrade+).
Jagbone.
A Duck cut out in the blade (the Federal "flying" duck).
There was no box, no stamp and no badge on the bone.
This one is the same model as the 75th anniversary (of federal duck?).

The blade is shapen as it was "in the box", we can even see the original stripes on the edge of the blade.
The blade itself is satin, without any scratch.

I am annoyed, i do not know if i should use it or if i should keep brand new as a collector.
I am not really a collector, i always use a little bit all my knives.
Maybe i should finf another one in 1095 that can be used without any remorses.

Just to share some pictures,
Regards.
Welcome to the forum Laurent57! Yes, your knife is indeed a remainder from that Federal Duck Stamp issue. There were evidently quite a few of them remaining in the factory when it closed. Many of those, like yours, lacked some details which would have made it a completed knife ready for market.

Whether or not to use it is entirely up to you. While uncommon, it isn't really rare or extremely valuable. That said, these weren't made for use so much as for commemoration and display. As far as usefulness, of course it will still function the same as the base knife would.

My personal preference for the older flat ground 1095HC steel in my users would preclude me from using one like it from my own collection, but then I do have those readily at hand. I suspect that you could find one for yourself should that be your desire, without a lot of trouble or expense. Here, eBay is a prime source for them both new and used. You should be able to access and buy from the U.S., Australian or European eBay if you want a carbon steel sharpfinger to use.

To sum up, the decision is yours. Save it as is or use it. Oh... Should you decide to save it, there was also a small supply of the laser engraved boxes left over from the factory. Easy to find and cheap on u.s. eBay just now. They lack the flocked inserts but you could make your own easily enough with florists foam and tan felt. Enjoy!

Thanks a lot for the information and for the litterature regarding the history of the sharpfinger. I understand this model was not ready to be saled and maybe a stock of the Duck Federal, thats why some features are "missing".
I think even if i want to keep it as is, i cannot. It's a so great format and size.
I know i will lightly but frequency use it.

Thanks a lot for the information and for the litterature regarding the history of the sharpfinger. I understand this model was not ready to be saled and maybe a stock of the Duck Federal, thats why some features are "missing".
I think even if i want to keep it as is, i cannot. It's a so great format and size.
I know i will lightly but frequency use it.
It is a great design and very useful for it's compact size. Enjoy your new knife!

Codger
What is the story on the 152OTX ???? History
The 152OTX was prototyped and offered to Walmart as an exclusive. They rejected the design. But spurred by interest in late production orphan designs a member has recreated the design from drawings. I'll let him do the show and tell here. I will add that after the Schrade closing the design was picked up briefly by United's Arrowhead factory in Tennessee.

Thanks
I may have a Rigid USA knife that looks like that, need to look, I did not know it started out as a Schrade prototype.
In my collection I have a Winchester maybe China knife that has that design.
Can’t wait to see/hear the story.
I want one

Thanks
I may have a Rigid USA knife that looks like that, need to look, I did not know it started out as a Schrade prototype.
In my collection I have a Winchester maybe China knife that has that design.
Can’t wait to see/hear the story.
I want one
Rigid was one of United 's brandings used. Member will be along wit the story soon I hope.

Codger has explained most of it. He’s also the bad influence that introduced me to the pattern and started me down this dark path. The prototype had flat textured Delrin handles similar to what your Rigid has. I think it also might have been TiCN coated. The knife above was a plain Jane late model 152 from ebay. I’m a collector, not a knife maker so my involvement was limited to ideas. The tang is taller to accommodate for the finger grooves and the butt extended for the lanyard hole. Metal fabrication was limited to that, the blade was not altered at all. The Delrin handles were custom made and have the same shape as the ones on the prototype but aren’t true to the design. Flat, matte and textured these are not. The proto also had the same XTimer shield as the 24OTX which Walmart did pick up when they rejected this knife. I found and sacrificed a 24 for the cause. I have an image of the proto but not on my work computer. If Codger doesn't post it before I get home, I'll post it later on.

Great knife! I'm sure it will serve you well. Welcome to the Schrade forum!

I finally landed a sambar NYKC branded Sharp Finger that's been on my want-list for a decade. Seller accepted my offer of $75USD including shipping. I think it would be tough to get one much cheaper. :thumbsup:

It will pair well with my Herman Williams Sharp Finger. I really like the burnt sambar handles and the propeller shield. These particular handles look very well matched. I can't wait to get it!
wTYRh88.jpg

Svd6uPA.jpg

zb9EU6J.jpg

6nZ2nAR.jpg

I33ycVv.jpg

MIa7Mws.jpg

7ziUi3x.jpg

eWjMXZc.jpg

Great knife! I'm sure it will serve you well. Welcome to the Schrade forum!

I finally landed a sambar NYKC branded Sharp Finger that's been on my want-list for a decade. Seller accepted my offer of $75USD including shipping. I think it would be tough to get one much cheaper. :thumbsup:

It will pair well with my Herman Williams Sharp Finger. I really like the burnt sambar handles and the propeller shield. These particular handles look very well matched. I can't wait to get it!
wTYRh88.jpg

Svd6uPA.jpg

zb9EU6J.jpg

6nZ2nAR.jpg

I33ycVv.jpg

MIa7Mws.jpg

7ziUi3x.jpg

eWjMXZc.jpg
Oh that one is a nice example!

Thanks Codger! Do you happen to know how many of these NYKC Sharp Fingers were made? I searched around but couldn't come up with any numbers and that's always nice to know.
From my research manuscript notes:

In 1995 SMKW ordered a series of burnt stag handled stainless knives with nostalgia marking, New York Knife Co. Walden. Schrade made 4 patterns of these stag handled NYK knives for SMKW in 1995. NYK8s, NYK34S, NYK77S and NYK94S 1500 each delivered 500 per month Jul – September along with a matching Sharpfinger, NYK152S. The series used a modified Empire shield. The NYK152S was still offered in the July 1997 catalog which stated 500 pieces made.

I have no way of being certain, but I get the impression that there was a high number of rejects n this issue due to the variable natural handle materials. Many I have seen were mismatched or poorly textured/colored. Herman said that he didn't have anything to do with this production. At any rate, there may have been a remainder of rejects and overstock in inventory at the factory auction.

From my research manuscript notes:

In 1995 SMKW ordered a series of burnt stag handled stainless knives with nostalgia marking, New York Knife Co. Walden. Schrade made 4 patterns of these stag handled NYK knives for SMKW in 1995. NYK8s, NYK34S, NYK77S and NYK94S 1500 each delivered 500 per month Jul – September along with a matching Sharpfinger, NYK152S. The series used a modified Empire shield. The NYK152S was still offered in the July 1997 catalog which stated 500 pieces made.

I have no way of being certain, but I get the impression that there was a high number of rejects n this issue due to the variable natural handle materials. Many I have seen were mismatched or poorly textured/colored. Herman said that he didn't have anything to do with this production. At any rate, there may have been a remainder of rejects and overstock in inventory at the factory auction.

Thanks Codger. I hoped you had some info somewhere and was not disappointed.

I had forgotten that both the Middleman and Senior got this treatment so there are 5 patterns to hunt for. Good to know!

Back