Schrade 152OT Sharpfinger

Codger has explained most of it. He’s also the bad influence that introduced me to the pattern and started me down this dark path. The prototype had flat textured Delrin handles similar to what your Rigid has. I think it also might have been TiCN coated. The knife above was a plain Jane late model 152 from ebay. I’m a collector, not a knife maker so my involvement was limited to ideas. The tang is taller to accommodate for the finger grooves and the butt extended for the lanyard hole. Metal fabrication was limited to that, the blade was not altered at all. The Delrin handles were custom made and have the same shape as the ones on the prototype but aren’t true to the design. Flat, matte and textured these are not. The proto also had the same XTimer shield as the 24OTX which Walmart did pick up when they rejected this knife. I found and sacrificed a 24 for the cause. I have an image of the proto but not on my work computer. If Codger doesn't post it before I get home, I'll post it later on.
L22UP7Y.jpg

I still want one. Or an approximation of one.

Here is the United Rigid version.

b05b6Rt.jpg

And their Harley Davidson version.
VhdISp3.jpg

The lighter weight imported Winchester branded copy.

jm2wbhv.jpg

My latest find... an unfinished 502SC Scrimshaw with no art and no etch. This one was made after the July 2001 change order which required a running change of all 152 pattern knives from plain flat grind to the newer hollow grind. SMKW was known to purchase such knives in bulk for resale either custom printed or as blank remainders.
5036NnY.jpg

Another oddity. U.S. Tobacco selected the 154 pattern knife as one of it's promotions for SKOAL smokeless tobacco in 1995. They ordered green Delrin handles, brass coined SKOAL shield and special SKOAL tang stamp with blade etch. The initial order was for 1,970 SK154G knives.

4id7cVa.jpg

Somehow, Schrade found themselves still stocking 1,475 pieces in late 1999 and issued a new product order to alter them and sell them at a slight discount over the stock 154OT price to select wholesale customers. The order specified removing the blade etch and replacing it with "Limited Edition", removing the SKOAL shield and replacing it with the coined brass "Heritage" shield for 154G knives.

lFxv38r.jpg

This DU154G is a third variety where the etch added back is for Ducks Unlimited. Quantity unknown but assumed to be drawn from the remainder stocks being altered for retail. Thus likely dating from 2000 when those were to be sold.

30qNXRl.jpg

Last edited:
maybe this has been covered already, but what's the consensus on the Bear and Son version of the sharpfinger?
Looks like they call is the upswept skinner. says it has real antler handle scales and 440 stainless.
Seems like a really good price for a USA made knife. Hardly more than the new china 'schrade' version.

maybe this has been covered already, but what's the consensus on the Bear and Son version of the sharpfinger?
Looks like they call is the upswept skinner. says it has real antler handle scales and 440 stainless.
Seems like a really good price for a USA made knife. Hardly more than the new china 'schrade' version.
I recently bought one to compare. It is a pretty good knife. The faux stag handle isn't as pleasingly molded and dyed. And the grind is different. But it is U.S. made and stainless. It should be a good user. I noticed they also made them in hunter orange. I haven't seen one with real stag antler.

KdKe78N.jpg

Thanks, its good to know that there is a US option for a new "sharpfinger".

My old sharpfinger is my go to hunting knife. I've dressed a lot of deer with it. My dad found probably 15 years ago in an old car I think and gave it to me and I made a sheath for it. I have a lot of knives, but my 152OT is my favorite hunting knife, and my 165OT is my favorite hiking knife.

Thanks, its good to know that there is a US option for a new "sharpfinger".

My old sharpfinger is my go to hunting knife. I've dressed a lot of deer with it. My dad found probably 15 years ago in an old car I think and gave it to me and I made a sheath for it. I have a lot of knives, but my 152OT is my favorite hunting knife, and my 165OT is my favorite hiking knife.
If you buy a replacement sheath be sure it has rivets at the tops of the stitching. The imported ones made with cheaper leather don't.

I picked up another copy Sharpfinger this weekend. A Puma Sharpfinger SGB with micarta handle, small brass pins and thong tube. It was NIB and cheap. From what I have been able to find out so far, they are discontinued. The blades were made in Germany and sent to Asia for assembly. Solingen sourced steel is reportedly 1.41111 stainless, roughly equivalent to our 440HC.
sKCllBk.jpg

a8NHakk.jpg

I picked up another copy Sharpfinger this weekend. A Puma Sharpfinger SGB with micarta handle, small brass pins and thong tube. It was NIB and cheap. From what I have been able to find out so far, they are discontinued. The blades were made in Germany and sent to Asia for assembly. Solingen sourced steel is reportedly 1.41111 stainless, roughly equivalent to our 440HC.
sKCllBk.jpg

a8NHakk.jpg

The Puma Sharpfinger SGB was made in the black micarta and also in a stag handle material.
It must have been a short run about ten years ago. They pop up on auctions sites occasionally, usually go cheap.
The last list price was in $50 to $60 range for the black micarta, I am sure the stag was more.The Puma site describes blade steel German 440A steel and assemble in China, as all of the SGB line was. I have never seen the stag model for sale.
I think it’s a complement the an old world knife company like Puma picked up a American knife pattern to reproduce.
I am sure the sharpfinger pattern will live on and on, personal I have Schrade Sharpfinger collection and a Sharpfinger clone collection.

The Puma Sharpfinger SGB was made in the black micarta and also in a stag handle material.
It must have been a short run about ten years ago. They pop up on auctions sites occasionally, usually go cheap.
The last list price was in $50 to $60 range for the black micarta, I am sure the stag was more.The Puma site describes blade steel German 440A steel and assemble in China, as all of the SGB line was. I have never seen the stag model for sale.
I think it’s a complement the an old world knife company like Puma picked up a American knife pattern to reproduce.
I am sure the sharpfinger pattern will live on and on, personal I have Schrade Sharpfinger collection and a Sharpfinger clone collection.
I've seen pictures of the SGB Sharpfinger with what appears to be stagged bone covers. But not yet one for sale. Perhaps someone had the remainders of production assembled with a non-production material? The CSR at Puma U.S.A. said they were made in 2010 and only with the micarta covers. Mine is not in hand yet, but I understand that they all bear the mark from the Rockwell hardness test.

Very cool that Puma made a sharpfinger. I just bought an old german puma bowie and it seems like a really good knife.

I don't know about the new SBG Pumas but my old bowie does have a little rockwell test dimple in the side of the blade.

Here is a special order Sharpfinger which I lost at auction, my opponent valuing it more than I after considering condition, total TMD cost etc. Whitetails Unlimited, a conservation group, ran programs much like Ducks Unlimited wth Schrade event enhancement knives. This is one of the more plain issues I have seen albeit using the base 152UH with a simple blade etch. Date and quantity uncertain. The base knife was produced 1994 - 1998 with remainders being sold for several years afterward.
QbAQGHm.jpg

Anothr one I missed.

In 2003 SFO knives were ordered for Glencadia Rod & Gun Club. According to the engraving on the rear tang, there were to be 65 issued for their 65th anniversary. They had black Delrin covers with coined brass “Limited Edition” shields, brass rivets and a club logo blade etch, "65th anniversary 1938 2003". For whatever reason, these were seen sold on eBay in 2005 and 2006. These sharpfingers were given out to the members at an annual dinner.

XCdXKcZ.jpg

Last edited:
Here is one which comes around from time to time. In 1978 Jim Parker ordered some Imperials with ivory Delrin handles and scrimshaw art with blade etches. My son got me this one for Christmas this year after seeing it on my watch list. The pile side tang is stamped with the model number, 1978-13. The handle on that side has an uninked serial number stamped in, 0889 on this one. I don't know how many were shipped. If I remember correctly there were one or two more patterns in this series.

Here is the Imperial Frontier flyer for the base series that Parker chose from to have custom tang stamped, serialized and custom art stamped.

image upload

Back