Schrade 152OT Sharpfinger

Another SFO, an uncommonly nice one that is seldom seen on the market, stag handle, coined brass shield and blade etch for the Virginia Game Warden's Association 10th Anniversary. The group was founded in 1987 so this knife was made circa 1997 which agrees with the tang marking.

These aren't serialized so it is difficult to tell from the knife itself exactly how many were made. A guess would be 200 or less.

After reviewing this old thread from 2008 (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/542847-A-Couple-of-Virginia-Game-Wardens) I think the numbers crunch a little different. The "10th Anniversary" is, I believe, a 1991 issue and was likely for 500 pcs (the same as previous years). Paperwork for the "8th Anniversary" states the group was founded in 1981 not 1987.

So much to remember when it comes to Schrade! 100 years plus an ocean of SFO's. I agree that the Virginia Game Warden 10th Anniversary is rarely seen and is one very classy Sharpfinger. Is that one yours Michael? I'm jealous!

No, it is still up for grabs at a price beyond my means. And also an LB-7 of the same flavor is up by the same seller.

I went by this on the founding date:
Basic Organization Information
VIRGINIA GAME WARDEN ASSOCIATION
Physical Address: Chatham, VA 24531
EIN: 54-1263430
NTEE Category: N Recreation, Sports, Leisure, Athletics N40 (Sports Training Facilities)
Year Founded: 1987
Ruling Year: 1987
http://www.guidestar.org/organizations/54-1263430/virginia-game-warden-association.aspx

But I see that your finding is correct. This would then be the 1991 edition.

Here is another one, the seller says it is from a set of five patterns in a display. Anyone recognize it?

104q8mr.jpg

3150pb5.jpg

Hi Codger,
I have much the same set of Blue Bone knives, however, the 152OT Sharpfinger has been replaced in my set with a Pro Hunter.
I also have all the knives from that set, without the Display Case.

Last edited:
Anyone know when the brown bone set was made? Are they "Classics"? Were they concourant with the blue bone set?

Here is an oddity I just ran across. It is a very worn example, much more so than most seen. I have no idea how they abraded the butt of the Delrin handles so much, or what they were using the knife for that required so much sharpening that the blade was reduced so. But the oddity is that it is a standard production knife (dyed brown covers and "Old Timer" shield) but has the SFO tang stamping used almost exclusively on the Peterson Publishing SFO knives (Guns & Ammo) which used a special stamped shield and black Delrin covers. Perhaps it was a remaindered blade after the last order for Peterson was filled in the early-mid 1980's?

2ry0ep1.jpg

That's what I thought. Well, info invariably turns up down the road somewhere. Maybe Eric remembers them?

Maybe some info will turn up one day about these "Classic Knives". As the Sharpfinger above is in my collection, I would like to know a little of its' history.

Last edited:
Hi Codger,
I have much the same set of Blue Bone knives, however, the 152OT Sharpfinger has been replaced with a Pro Hunter.

image.php

image.php

I have a suspicion about those sets, having seen some on eBay. I suspect the seller added the Old Timer pin to attract buyers and raise bids.

Schrade set with blue bone, Low Demand.
Limited Edition Old Timer set, magically created by adding a hat pin, High Demand.

Comments?

I have a suspicion about those sets, having seen some on eBay. I suspect the seller added the Old Timer pin to attract buyers and raise bids.

Schrade set with blue bone, Low Demand.
Limited Edition Old Timer set, magically created by adding a hat pin, High Demand.

Comments?

Bob, I suspect the blue knives sell themselves with or without the illustrious (infamous?) hatpin. I had the same gut reaction. Whenever Schrade wanted to honor the Old Timer line the knives they issued tend to say "Old Timer" somewhere on them.

In this thread ()Eric specifically mentioned that the "Old Timer Classics" hatpin shouldn't be there and that the blue set Ken has and the brown set Codger originally asked about are indeed related through "Chromate":

"Ken, that set was made for Chromate. They were a longtime customer of Schrade and had a goodly number of knives done, including a scrimshaw set back in 1995. This blue bone set was part of a three or four set order, with each set containing a different handle material. Blades were stamped LTD, and bolsters were threaded. There was a brown bone and I think a green bone and a maple as well. All of them came with the same wood frame. I have an order sheet here somewhere from I believe 2002 or 2003 for one of those sets. I don't recall how many sets were made, I'll have to dig up the form...

By the way, they shouldn't have those Old Timer Classic pins in there, that's a completely different knife. The blue bone set should have an American flag emblem with USA printed over it in that indented square. I believe all the others had no emblems.

Eric"

Here is another one, the seller says it is from a set of five patterns in a display. Anyone recognize it?

We've wandered a ways off the Sharpfinger topic. To get us back on track, the Sharpfinger in question is from a 2002 or 2003 brown bone SFO done for Chromate. No, the hatpin shouldn't be in that display frame either. No, the Chromate sets had nothing to do with 2000 "Old Timer Classics".

Eric shows a pic of complete Chromate brown bone set confirming the Sharpfinger in question is from this set:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/909738-Any-Information-on-a-5-KNIFE-SET-with-BLUE-PEACH-SEED-HANDLES?p=10322436#post10322436

Last edited:
to offer my help in this matter. if the pin offends thee just send it to me and i shall dispose of it properly and in a safe manner. hey any knives you have that do not belong with the set they are in send them along to i shall respectfully dispose of them also.

Bingo.

The plot has now thickened. This is now, AS CLEAR AS MUD.
It is disappointing that no one would like to answer a question.
This is the Sharpfinger from set, the same posted by Codger.
medium

medium

Last edited:
No, the sets were assembled as special factory orders for a customer, Chromate. Who stuck the hat pins in there? Eric said they didn't belong in the sets. Maybe a seller put them in there post factory auction. I have a small handful of those pins, but no Classics knives. We see them stuck in the Anniversary tins too in the place of the round anniversary pin that belongs in them. And there were no known Classics Sharpfingers, were there?

Runnng down the story on a particular knife almost always means turning down rabbit trails. It is totally expected. And in fact led to I.D.ing this Sharpfinger!

It is disappointing that no one would like to answer Codger's question.

Last edited:
I think someone ought to put a hatpin on a dead horse.

dead-horse.gif

Beating a dead horse, is an idiom that means a particular request or line of conversation is already foreclosed or otherwise resolved, and any attempt to continue it is futile; or that to continue in any endeavour (physical, mental, etc.) is a waste of time as the outcome is already decided, or is no longer of any interest.

Last edited:
(I originally blasted Ken for calling me "Knowstoomuch" but the tirade doesn't have to live on forever.)

[video=youtube;rkZ2_nKo7II]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rkZ2_nKo7II[/video]

Last edited:
Steady men, stea...dy! Misunderstandings happen on the whirl-why-webb where text is the medium of conversation. Thank you one and all for contributing to the identification of this Sharpfinger in question! Now if it's current owner needs my address, just PM me. I'll gladly pay shipping! :D

I missed a bit of drama, did I? No worries mates. Round of James Squire on me. :)

No, the sets were assembled as special factory orders for a customer, Chromate. Who stuck the hat pins in there? Eric said they didn't belong in the sets. Maybe a seller put them in there post factory auction.

I've seen those hat pins in non-Old Timer sets more than once and from multiple sellers, as Koldgold points out. Leads me to suspect these sets went through one of the closeout distributors before making their way to individual sellers.

And there were no known Classics Sharpfingers, were there?
Not to my knowledge. Never even seen a picture of one. But of course lots of Schrade variations and prototypes turn up from time to time, huh?

Here's another tidbit of information, hope it doesn't stir the pot too much. The four-piece framed Old Timer Classics sets did not include the hat pins either; only the individual knives sold in tins came with hat pins. I have the framed set with the serial number 012, and there's no hat pin. Even thinking the hat pin could have become lost, I closely inspected the molded frame insert and there's no pinhole.

-----------------

Similarly remember last year, or maybe the year before, when the adhesive Old Timer patches hit the giant auction place? (I bought a roll of a thousand, as well as a couple smaller strips that I gave away here) Within weeks those stickers were stuck all over the place on eBay. On prolific seller in particular stuck an adhesive patch on every item he sold. :D

----------------------

This is all an issue that I'd struggled with as an Old Timer collector, especially with the Sharpfingers who's blades weren't marked OT even when used on Old Timers. Is it an Old Timer if it has an OT blade but plasti-stag handles? If it has Old Timer handles but an SC or UH blade? The answer isn't always clear, and I probably have a few items in my collection that others wouldn't consider true Old Timers.

But one thing's for sure, "A hat pin does not an Old Timer make."

Back