Schrade 153UH sheath trivia.

6qiq2q
I recently acquired a 153UH golden spike serial number 61985 (early 1978?). Knife was in pretty good shape, sheath with wear appropriate for age. The sheath has a staple located at the bottom of the stone pocket just below the stitching. In looking at Ebay pics of other sheaths I noticed upon enlargement that several show two small holes in the same location
As the staple in mine. I’m guessing they stapled the stone pocket leather to the Outer sheath leather to position it prior to stitching and then removed it. I guess they missed the one in mine and apparently so did the former owner. Just thought I’d share, although this may have been discussed prior as I haven’t gotten around to read every thread here. Lots of great info here and I’m binge absorbing it as time permits. I had two Schrade Walden knives in my youth in the early 70’s (I’m 66 now), one was a switchblade and the other a smaller stag handled skinner. Sadly they both grew legs and wandered off years ago. I had purchased two of the Taylor Schrades 4 years ago and although robust they clearly exhibited porosity when the thick black crap they pass for coating was removed. Quality is not a word I would associate with them but they are fun to beat on and practice grinding, sharpening and buffing on. My knife collection is small but slowly growing. Have a great day!!!

Last edited:
I believe we should never say never.
However, I will say all of the 153 sheaves were all sown - NO rivets used.

I would say the bottom of the pocket was sown to the outer of the sheath first - then the front was sown to the back [holding the sides of the pocket also]

This is a new "Early carbon blade 153 UH" the sheath has not been out of the plastic.
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/app.php/gallery/image/11860

Last edited:
I believe we should never say never.
However, I will say all of the 153 sheaves were all sown - NO rivets used.

I would say the bottom of the pocket was sown to the outer of the sheath first - then the front was sown to the back [holding the sides of the pocket also]

This is a new "Early carbon blade 153 UH" the sheath has not been out of the plastic.
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/app.php/gallery/image/11860

The staple appears to be high carbon steel round wire. Probably from a spool similar to a sheet metal stitching machine (I still have a piece embedded in my right thumb bone that the hospital couldn’t get out before they reconstructed my thumb after a stupid mistake I made as a 19 year
Old while stitching sheet metal together). Don’t want to get too anal on my observation but will post a few pics when I find a third party photo hosting site and upload.

Upl dot com
Upldotcom page won’t load for me, server keeps timing out. On a different note,
In browsing eBay for Schrade items I’ve come across a 498 that isn’t a 49’er issue.
It is a ducks unlimited 498 with different sheath than came with the 49’ers. Somewhat
Of an odd duck (pun intended). Just search “a rare vintage Schrade ducks unlimited”.
I had no idea that 498’s came in special edition flavors, then again, there are a great many things I don’t know. If you need the item number I can post it, just not sure how much I am supposed to say about items listed as “buy it now” as it’s not really an auction where a bidding war could drive up the price.

Look for a BB code there.
Haven’t really had time to work on the pic upload issue yet. Had a bid on a SW 165OT With serial 16102 on left side of blade but lost out. In looking for another I stumbled across a past auction result for a SW 165OT with serial 17671 on right side of blade. I don’t know if those serial and
Corresponding positions would help narrow down the switch from left to right as well as the end of
Serial numbers on the 165’s. I captured photos from both auctions and if they would help with your data base I can email them to you as again, I haven’t worked out the posting of photos here yet. Let me know.

joe y.

Haven’t really had time to work on the pic upload issue yet. Had a bid on a SW 165OT With serial 16102 on left side of blade but lost out. In looking for another I stumbled across a past auction result for a SW 165OT with serial 17671 on right side of blade. I don’t know if those serial and
Corresponding positions would help narrow down the switch from left to right as well as the end of
Serial numbers on the 165’s. I captured photos from both auctions and if they would help with your data base I can email them to you as again, I haven’t worked out the posting of photos here yet. Let me know.

joe y.
Thanks for the offer Joe, but I chased that rabbit as far as I could and I am done. Anyone who wants to research it further, be my guest. I think we came to some general conclusions and that is about as good as it will ever get.

Back