1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Schrade 1982 NKCA Stag Trapper Question

Discussion in 'Schrade Knives Collectors Forum' started by Mob Mentality, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Mob Mentality

Mob Mentality

Dec 14, 2014
    I recently purchased a Schrade 1982 NKCA Stag Trapper. Unlike many that I have seem the bolster is stamped 281L. I was wondering what this could mean. As I haven't seen any with a letter stamped. Any info would be great.

[​IMG]

2. thawk

thawk

Oct 28, 2006
    The 2811 on the bolster is a serial number. It tells you there were at least that many made. There might have been a run of 3000 or 5000.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  3. Mob Mentality

Mob Mentality

Dec 14, 2014
    Thanks for your response. To me the last number really looks like an L maybe the bolster got scratched and made the 1 look like an L not sure.

4. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    There was a run of 10,000 that year and the original price was $24.50. I have #3244. Nice sambar handle.

5. koldgold

koldgold

Jul 2, 2010
    A photo may help. Ken
    [​IMG]

Duckdog likes this.
  6. ea42

ea42 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2006
    The numbers were usually scribed onto the bolsters when the knives were finished using a hand operated pantograph. They were cut using a diamond tipped point. There were brass number that were placed in the machine. These had a groove through them that matched their shape. You traced the groove with a stylus and this was transferred in much smaller form to the bolster. The problem was that sometimes the operator would slip, oftentimes at the end because you're pressing down. This slip would also transfer to the bolster as a scratch, which is probably what you have there. If it was really bad the bolster would have to be re-polished and the etch done over.

Eric