Schrade 8OTY

An 8OTY [listed as a 'Senior Stockman'] sold today on eBay for US$119.
The yellow 'Frontiersman' 8OT was sold for only one year, that year was 1990.
So I fell the brown box, is not the box the 'Frontiersman 8OTY' came in.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Merchants, users, collectors have been notorious for switching boxes. Which has had me buy empty boxes from time to time and resulted in a small stock of empties I have replaced with correct ones.

I do not think Schrade ever made an"8OT Stockman" with yellow handles.
The "8OTY Frontiersman" [as marked/named on the box]
That was only made in 1990, was in fact a "Yellow 881 with an 8OT main blade".
The knife, frame, shield and two of the three blades, were from a yellow handled 881.
frontiersman-8oty-jpg.871394

Last edited:
I do not think Schrade ever made an"8OT Stockman" with yellow handles.
The "8OTY Frontiersman" [as marked/named on the box]
That was only made in 1990, was in fact a "Yellow 881 with an 8OT main blade".
The knife, frame, shield and two of the three blades, were from a yellow handled 881.
frontiersman-8oty-jpg.871394
Good afternoon. I just looked up the price list for Old Timers. On page 2 of 9 they list an 8OT Senior 4" stockman, and on the next line they list the 8OTY--as Frontier stockman; same as 8OT Senior but with w/yellow handles. This is where I got my question from. allaboutpocketknives.com Not trying to question your knowledge, just curious.
Harold

Ken - Where do you get your information the 8OTY is an 881 with yellow handles? Why would it not be an 8OT with yellow handles, since it has an 8OT tang stamp? Hal

Hi Old Mate Hal, with a yellow 881, an 8OTY and an "8OT Old Timer" all sitting in front of me. I say the 8OTY is not an 8OT.

Hi Harold. The historical records of Schrade were very poorly kept.
What you call something when your selling it, that name is very important.
However, when it comes to DUCKS;
If it has fathers, flies and swims and quacks like a DUCK. Then it is a DUCK.
A Schrade 881 with yellow scales, [Schrade made them for many years] with nothing other then an 8OT stamp on one blade - is in fact, an 881 and not an 8OT.
In Australia, we call a Duck a Duck - sometimes this is not so, in other places.
I'm only trying to learn, not preach. Ken.
medium

Last edited:
Try
Hi Old Mate Hal, with a yellow 881, an 8OTY and an "8OT Old Timer" all sitting in front of me. I say the 8OTY is not an 8OT.

Hi Harold. The historical records of Schrade were very poorly kept.
What you call something when your selling it, the name is very important.
However, when it comes to DUCKS;
If it has fathers, flies and swims and quacks like a DUCK. Then it is a DUCK.
A Schrade 881 with yellow scales, [Schrade made them for many years] with nothing other then an 8OT stamp on one blade - is in fact, an 881 and not an 8OT.
In Australia, we call a Duck a Duck - sometimes this is not so, in other places.
I'm only trying to learn, not preach.

Trying to learn also. You state that the 8OTY Frontier is an 881 with a 8OT main blade. Why could it not be an 8OT with 881 yellow handles? I have all 3 in front of me also and see no difference in the 8OTY and an 8OT, and an 881Y, and an 881, except the handles and main blade stamp. I do see that the main blade early 881's and the 8OT's have a swedged main blade.
The sheepfoot, and spey all look the same to my old eyes. What am I missing? Thanks for your help.

Did you miss the "Schrade Shield" on the 8OTY or does your 8OT with yellow scales, have an "Old Timer Shield".

Did you miss the "Schrade Shield" on the 8OTY or does your 8OT with yellow scales, have an "Old Timer Shield".
It does. But will the 881Y handles (scales) fit on an 8OT? Would this have been the easiest way to make an 8OTY Frontier? Just asking.

If we stop and think for a minute; The 8OTY is an 881Y with an 8OT blade.
Schrade made the 881Y from 1957 to 1986, if they had some left-over 881Y scales and shields in 1989,
Schrade could have decided to build the 8OTY to use up all the yellow 881 parts, in the late 1980's.
The fact that Schrade only sold the 8OTYs in 1990,[one year] makes me think they used up all the 881Y parts.
The price diferance in 1990, was only $1. So why do you think they stopped making them?
Schrade made those 8OT blades untill 2004, and the 8OT was selling better then the 881 knives [price I think]
Both knive are the same 4" knife, and all parts are interchangable.
That is my 10 cents worth. Ken

Last edited:
Good day Ken. I have enjoyed this debate greatly. Made me do a lot of thinking and studying this knife pattern. However I have given some thought to the message that Schrade used up the old 881Y parts which in this knife was only the 881Y scales. The rest of the knife was made with 8OT parts. The only parts different in the 881 and 8OT were the scales and main blade. Do you have any printed information, or information obtained in your conservations with an Schrade employee?
Thanks so much for debating this topic with me. I really respect your knowledge on the Schrade line of knives.
Harold

Hi Ken. I have another question concerning this thread. Do you thing the reason Schrade used the 8OT main blade was no supply of 881 main blades, or that using the 8OT main blade would sell better?
Harold

Back