Schrade Century Series Research

Codger_64

For many years, multi-purpose pocket knives with attached tools have been known as Swiss Army Knives, or SAKs, after the popular products offered by Wenger and Victorinox of Switzerland. These two companies produced knives for the Swiss army and shared the name of the “type” of pattern, both going to the patent office and receiving a special disposition to register the trademark for both companies, unheard of before this action. However, popular usage has made the name Swiss Army Knives an accepted description of this pattern (or rather genre of patterns) an accepted term, and more used than the earlier term Utility Knife. Now, due to events I’ll not delve into, Wenger as an independent entity is no more, the failed company being acquired by Victorinox in a bid as much designed to retain copyright and trademark control as to save jobs and Swiss industry.

Schrade entered the modern SAK market with a line of knives under the Century brand name. With components produced in Germany and assembled in Ellenville, many variants appeared before the line was deleted in favor of increased importation of knives and tools from Schrade’s Listowel Ireland Imperial Stag/Imperial International facility.

This was not Schrade’s first entry into the genre, as a brief cruise through the 1926-1938 “Catalog E and Supplements” will show. There we see quite a few blade patterns that are quite at home on modern SAKs, and a bounty of knife patterns fitted with them, including scissors, files, screwdrivers, bottle cap lifters, can openers, corkscrews, wire strippers and more. Even earlier, every Boy Scout and Camp knife is a forerunner, as is the familiar Mil-K818 stainless U. S. Army Knife. (USAK?) (1948), and the “Mountain Knives” produced during WWII.

The Century knives were a cooperative effort between the Schrade Cutlery Corporation division and Imperial International Europe division of the parent company, Imperial Schrade Corporation.
Stainless steel blades and other components manufactured in Germany were shipped to Ellenville for assembly and finish, and likely the designs originated from there as well.

The first modern precursor that I find is in 1987 with the introduction of the first two simple patterns, the 2 5/16 inch DL2R, and the DL2B. The two knives were identical having three blades (pen, scissor and file), a shackle (or bail) and both knives were called Captain. As the suffix letter suggests, they differed in cover color, R being red and B being black. The DL prefix refers to the trademarked cover material name DuraLens. Suggested retail was $15.95.

In 1993, the Century line itself was introduced consisting of ten patterns. This large introduction also gives us the trademark series name and logo of Century. The previous DL2 is now a 2 ½ inch three blade CN21 and lists for $19.00. It is now named Star.

A simplified version reminiscent of the predecessor Office Knife pattern appears without the scissors, the 2 ½ inch two blade CN11 Genesis ($13.00). The pen blade and file blade open lobster fashion, taking advantage of the frame shared with the Star.

The 3 5/8 inch three blade CN31 Steward ($20.00) has a corkscrew, pen blade and cap lifter/screwdriver.

The 3 5/8 inch five blade CN41 Pulsar ($21.00) adds a short spear blade and a can opener blade.

The 3 5/8 inch six blade CN51 Omega ($27.00) adds yet another blade, an awl (the best I can discern from the illustration).

The 3 5/8 inch six blade CN61 Mercury ($27.00) replaces the corkscrew with a phillips head blade.

The 3 5/8 inch seven blade CN71 Gemini ($31.00) adds a saw to the six blades of the Omega.

The 3 5/8 inch seven blade CN81 Orion ($40.00) replaces the saw of the Gemini with the scissor of the Star.

The 3 5/8 inch eight blade CN91 Apollo ($44.00) adds the Gemini saw back to the mix.

The 3/58 inch eight blade CN101 Galaxy (48.00) replaces the saw blade with a scaler/fishhook disgorger blade.

As you will note, these ten new knives of the series is composed of two frame sizes, two shackle sizes, and a selection of eleven common blades. Common components arranged into variants is a very economical production detail.

In 1994, another variant was added, the 3 5/8 inch three blade CN111 Endeavor ($20.00) with pen blade, phillips screwdriver, and cap lifter/straight screwdriver.

For 1995, the 3 3/8 inch two blade CN121 Discovery ($12.00) is introduced with a master spear blade and a small pen blade, both top opening. Note that this is a new frame size.

In 1997 there is a catalog notation that the CN21 Star is also available with a black handle as the CN22.

In 1999, the CN21 Star and CN22 Star were discontinued leaving eleven variants in the series. The CN65 Mercury was offered in the SGS-11 gift set with a 147OT Pro Fisherman fillet knife for $52.95.

This was the last year where I see the Century line listed, though I have seen them used for SFO’s, promotional items etc. with custom imprints. This was standard operating procedure for Schrade to use up overstock of discontinued knives.

Why were they discontinued? The only answers that come to mind are increasing costs of doing business with Germany and other associate rising production costs, and the decision to concentrate on production of cheap knives and tools from the Ireland division.

Thanks Codger for the info. This is one series of knives that I know very little about. Since they weren't regular Schrades, I had not paid much attention to them.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has used these knives. How do they hold up under normal use?

Thanks,
Dale

DAMN !! Opps !! Sorry Cougar...

There's that "WOW" factor again !! Thanks Codger!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Codger_64 said:
Post the pictures guys, and send me knives to examine and review. (technically a grovel, yes)
Codger

Well, duffus here can't seem to "post"... Soooo..

dannybee@wans.net

Email me your address, I know of two you can assess... :)

dannyb

Codger has provided us with a research review on CENTURY, very well done as always, and asked that I initiate a "review" so here goes...

I’m not a "Fit & Finesse" kind of person and definitely not a stickler for "detail" nor am I even remotely educated in the cutlery manufacturing process.. That said, I will refrain, okay, let me rephrase that, I will TRY to refrain, from making a total fool of myself and stick to just what I know about these knives…

NOTHING !!!

That was easy… Seriously, what I know, or can speak to about these knives I’ve already said… Curiosity did get the better of me on the wire stripper…. I just didn’t see it working real well. Works okay, but I'm a creature of habit as well, and if I have a knife, I've got a wire stripper !!! I didn't say those "habits" were good....

STAR - 2 ½"
Nail file/flat screw driver blade
Spey blade
Scissor
Toothpick, plastic
tweezers

ENDEAVOR – 3 ½", 3 5/8" including key ring connection
Phillips screwdriver "blade"
Bottle opener, flat screwdriver, wire stripper blade
Spey blade

dannybee said:
The Endeavor is larger (and the last one they had) at about 3 inches and the Star about 2 inches.... The Endeavor has three "blades" a master, a phillips screwdriver and a multifunctional (flat screwdriver, bottle opener & wire stripper). The Star has a pen blade, a nail file, tweezer, pick and scissor - classical Swiss Army.

I just found it interesting, that the knives are listed as having been: "Made in Germany and Finished in the USA"

and

dannybee said:
I can't fairly make that comparison as I am not familiar with Victorinox other than the name/reputation. That given, and at the risk of appearing to be dis'ing "Schrade", I would have to say the Victorinox would be much superior.. Still, they "appear" to be pretty well made. As for durability, from my account, we'll probably never know, one, because I acquired them due to their Schrade association, two, not a knife I would normally carry/use. The larger one is tang stamped ISC over STAINLESS over GERMANY. The smaller one, at least the one I've opened, has no tang stamp but the depiction on the card does. I haven't opened the other small one yet. I got two of those because although the same knife, one comes with a nylon sheath...

Blades on both are RAZOR sharp, all tools have smooth action with nice, crisp snap both ways...

For less than two bucks a piece.... got a piece of history...

I have emailed pics to Larry in hopes he will have time to "post"....

dannyb

p.s. Codger, didn't make it to the PO this week - it'll be Monday at the earliest..

Here is Danny's pictures and one with my 2 Century's
century_0.jpg

century_1.jpg

century_2.jpg

century_3.jpg

They will bin in the next package
TTYL
Larry

Thanks for the info and review Codger et al.

Does anyone have a Century and an equivalent Victorinox or Wenger to do a comparative review? I'd really be curious to see how well these Century knives stack up.

Dave

I have a SAK tang stamped Schrade DL2 USA. I don't know when it was manufactured but it is not part of the Century series to my knowledge.

No, the DL2 Captains were just prior to the Century series. 1987-1990, I think. Surely the inspiration for the Century series. So they might well be listed as a predecessor pattern. What is you impression of the Captain? Is the Duralens the same material as the covers of the later CN series?

Codger

Codger_64 said:
No, the DL2 Captains were just prior to the Century series. 1987-1990, I think. Surely the inspiration for the Century series. So they might well be listed as a predecessor pattern. What is you impression of the Captain? Is the Duralens the same material as the covers of the later CN series?

Codger

Yes, it has the duralens covers. If you want I can e-mail you a picture for you to post. I have never really used it, I'm not a big fan of SAK's but it was given to me. I'd rather use a multi-tool, if my tool box is available I too reach in there first. But I keep an ST1 in my car, you never know when it will come in handy (and it has many times).

I just noticed the CN-121 Discovery has annodized aluminum covers. Was it the only one?

I've shown here both flavors of the DL-2, and an enlarged view of the scissor spring on the black one. By the way, this one is printed with the United States Senate emblem.

Codger

This thread picqued my curiosity, so I got a CN101 Galaxy. (You guys are a really bad influence, but that's a different story... :)) I'm quite impressed with the Century. I won't go into a long review, but in terms of fit & finish, walk & talk, and overall quality, my assessment is that the Century is every bit as high quality as Victorinox and Wenger -- and that's a very high standard to measure up to.

Now I think I'll have to get more of these...

Dave

Codger_64 said:
The 3 9/16" Orion, like all the CN series, has blades supplied by Imperial Europe from Germany

The entire skeleton was supplied from Germany only the plastic covers were assembled by Schrade. I don't believe the skeleton came from Imperial Europe though.

The only (non-sales) Euopean operations were in Ireland. The Century series was purchased as a "skeleton", liners, implements, springs, etc, assembled.

Back