Photos Schrade Cut. Co. 8776 vs Schrade Walden 877 & 876 - pattern research

I am very fond of Schrade's old Mother-of-Pearl gent's knives. I have been carrying the non-etched 877 shown here and it is definitely one of my favorite Schrade patterns.

Here's a comparison of my two Schrade Walden 877 "Shadow Lobster" scissors knives. When I scanned them together for a group pic I noticed differences I hadn't seen before and these two long posts are the result.

The etched Sears "Craftsman" version knife is near-mint and came in it's original leather purse. The non-etched user-knife with heavy patina was in a $10.00-for-3-knives lot.

When I got the "cheapy" the scissors didn't fully close and the point sat proud so it was not carry-ready. It would have ripped pockets and and maybe skin too. I bent the scissor handle outwards ever so slightly which resulted in the scissors fully closing as they should. I suspect I may have sucessfully "krinked" for the first time :). It's now an awesome little knife. That old 1095 steel does get Schrade Super Sharp. The scissors and file come in handy too.

In all the pics the "cheapy" 877 is on the top and the Sears knife is on the bottom.

You will note that the scissors are quite different on the two knives. Due to this difference in scissor handle-length and nail-nick position the "easy-open" cut-out on the handle slab is also in a correspondingly different location. It is a little closer to the center on the Sears knife.

The two files have the nail-nick in about the same place so their easy-open location on the other handle matches as well. The Sears knife has a slightly more pointy file. The Sears knife is not stamped 877.

The Schrade Cut. Co. 8776 predesessor to the Schrade Walden 877 differs slightly by having no easy-open cut-out on the scissors side slab but the file-side slab on the other side does have one, see link: Gent's Knife Thread

mark side closed
3GfLGlf.jpg

pile side closed
wWqWnY7.jpg

cutting blade comparison
xuJT4bP.jpg

scissors & easy-open comparison
nySJvc0.jpg

scissors close-up comparison
NxzLXSM.jpg

pile side comparison
zS29eB3.jpg

file comparison
4OT5KYs.jpg

pattern stamp comparison
ekioM8p.jpg

tang stamp comparison
N2HK3X4.jpg

Last edited:
Here's what I gleamed from all the available Schrade catalogs and price lists:

-1928 supplement - Schrade Cut. Co. 8776 "Scissors Knife, Lobster pattern" 2-7/8" genuine MOP first appears
ha114Gz.jpg

-1932 wholesale price lists - 8776 (noted cat. pg 75) $40.00/doz for retailers, $30.00/doz for "jobbers"
nn6xiky.jpg

- seeing as how the knives in the supplements supposedly stayed in production going forward it might have been available as Cut. Co. pattern right up to Schrade Walden name change in 1946 although it is not in Catalog No. 40

-1950 wholesale price list - 877 genuine MOP listed for $60.00/doz = $5.00 each
6CHeM0k.jpg

-1953 catalog - Schrade Walden 877 "Scissors Knife, Lobster pattern" genuine MOP listed
onSHf4L.jpg

-1953 wholesale price list - 877 genuine MOP listed for $72.00/doz = $6.00 each
wPZrvpG.jpg

-1954 catalog
D3H6kfP.jpg

-1957 catalog - Schrade Walden 877 "Shadow Lobster" in genuine MOP last listed for MSRP $12.95 each
4ZGmuvj.jpg

-1958 and 1959 catalogs - 877 not listed at all

-1958 catalog - pattern listed only as S12-Banker in specialty advertising knife program, marine-pearl version for $5.50 each in bulk order of 25-49 knives
PDtg675.jpg

-1959 catalog 876 marine-pearl version listed for MSRP $6.65 each
xAMQ3Tr.jpg

-1960 catalog - 877 listed for MSRP $6.65, 876 no longer listed, price-point strongly implies a marine-pearl version designated 877 for this one year or maybe it's a typo and should have said 876
ltz1zgM.jpg

-1961 catalog - 876 listed as marine-pearl knife, 877 no longer listed
PLkTjUd.jpg

-1962 catalog -same as 1961 (876 as marine-pearl handled knife)
GoN6HkH.jpg

-see this thread for the continued time-line for pattern to morph into the 876RB stainless handled variation:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/876-shadow-lobster-the-banker-pattern-research.1639865/

That's all I got. Bet you thought these two posts would never end! I kinda had the same feeling.

Last edited:
Back