Schrade FAQ: Is the answer to your question here? Steel, dates, models.

Welcome David!
Can you post a picture of the knife or email a picture to me & I will post it for you. My email is dalervincent@comcast.net
A picture would help us to identify the knife. If you cannot do either, please post the dimensions of the knife. It sounds like a limited edition of some sort. Do you remember where & when you got the knife? If you list the ebay auction number that might help also.

Thanks,
Dale

I have one of these with the medallion. The registration certificate identifies it as a Statue of Liberty Commemorative 1886-1986. Mine is in the wooden display case which has a hanger on the back - I used to have it hanging in my office along with some other knives and old clocks.

Hello all.. new here. I have a fixed blade knife that has;

SCHRADE-WALDEN
N.Y. U.S.A. 147
Stainless

This stamped on one side of the blade with nothing on the other side. I acquired it in a box of yard sale items many moons ago. I packed it hunting for years, though it saw little use, along with a knife my Father won selling Grit magazine way back when. I have no use for the Schrade any longer and wanted to know what it's value may be. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you!!

Larry

DSCF0203.jpg

DSCF0204.jpg

DSCF0205.jpg

DSCF0207.jpg

DSCF0209.jpg

DSCF0212.jpg

A search on ebay of completed sales show 3 sold, one for $20, one for $30 and one that appeared to be near mint that sold for $46.
I would say for yours, a range of $15-$20.
Knife values seem to be down lately.
You might get more, you might get less.
I think the fact that your knife appears to have been heavily Scotch Brite-ed drops the value to me.
Whoever put it on the Scotch Brite wheel or belt seems to have rounded off the shoulder where the hollow grind begins.
In addition they removed all the patina from the blade. Those two things really hurt the value to many collectors.

Dale

Last edited:
Orvet... Thanks for the response. I checked ebay for current listings and the one I found had a 'buy it now' for $88 which I thought was ridiculous!!

Thanks

Larry

I edited my post after taking a second look at your knife.
It is too bad that someone tried to clean it up.
That, IMHO, hurts the value.

I didn't even mention the $88 one on ebay, as it is ridiculous.
It had been on there for $99 and he lowered it to $88.

Dale

I have to agree with you about cleaning up items that are collectible. You made me curious... I put a steel straight edge on the blade and it isn't hollow ground.... not even a hint of it. Not sure why it was cleaned up. It was as you see it when I got it over 30 years ago. I used it so little that I only put a water stone to it once when I first got it. The only place I see any wear on it is on the brass 'guard' where it rubs against the leather sheath and exposure wear on the handle leather. Another question... does stainless pick up much patina over time? I have an old Kabar folding knife that I carried for work for years at a lumber mill and the blade on it has a few scratches but no hint of age per say.

Thanks again!!

Larry

Larry,
A 147L (L for leather handle) should be carbon steel according to the catalog.
Let be do some digging to find the stainless ones,

Be back in a few minutes.

Dale

OK,
I should have read your tang stamp. :foot:
This is cool! :cool:
It is not often you can date a Schrade this closely, well, sort of.

Schrade made a 147RB (RB for Razor Blade Stainless).
It appears in the catalogs from 1966 to 1968.

HOWEVER, the 147RB is listed as having a Staglon handle with finger grooves and an aluminum guard.
Yours has a brass guard and stacked leather handles..........another Schrade enigma! Unless someone changed the handles.......but I don't think that is likely, sincce you say you have had it for 30 years.

So, based on this info, I would say that yours is worth more than my original estimate. I think it would be worth $35 to $50, IF you find the right collector.

This will teach me not to read ALL of the tang stamp!

I hope this helps.
Dale

Dale,

Thanks for digging out the info! That time frame jogged a dusty memory. When I saw the knife in the box at the yard sale it looked familiar in appearance and blade shape. I remember, in looking back at it, that I had looked at one like it at the local Coast to Coast store here in Whitefish about a year or so before. Liked it but didn't need another hunting knife. :p I'll have to see if I can dig out that knife that my Dad won selling Grit magazine. That has a blade shape that was very different; very functional as a hunting knife yet out of the ordinary. Pop's brother has one just like it and has always called it his lucky knife!

Thanks again for the info. I'm just sitting here reading thru a bunch of posts on surplus rifle forum on gun stock repairs and finishing/re-finishing. Too wet and rainy to do much outside yet today.

Later,

Larry

Howdy...I visited a watch shop in a small Central Texas town to get a new battery for my watch and noticed that the shop keeper had a monogram machine. I asked him if he could put my initials on my old Schrade 881 and when he saw my knife, he smiled and said that he had been a Schrade dealer for 40-50 years.

I found out that he has probably over a hundred Schrade knives new in the box and that he keeps them at home in a safe. I met him back at the store later that day and bought a 881, a 80T, and a couple of 834s for $75 each. When I came back the following day to pick them up, he said that he had changed his mind on the sale. I convinced him that "a deal is a deal" and he let me have them, but said that in the future, the prices would be higher.

He has many models and most of them are 40 years old. What do you guys think about this?

Steve Sellers

Howdy...I visited a watch shop in a small Central Texas town to get a new battery for my watch and noticed that the shop keeper had a monogram machine. I asked him if he could put my initials on my old Schrade 881 and when he saw my knife, he smiled and said that he had been a Schrade dealer for 40-50 years.

I found out that he has probably over a hundred Schrade knives new in the box and that he keeps them at home in a safe. I met him back at the store later that day and bought a 881, a 80T, and a couple of 834s for $75 each. When I came back the following day to pick them up, he said that he had changed his mind on the sale. I convinced him that "a deal is a deal" and he let me have them, but said that in the future, the prices would be higher.

He has many models and most of them are 40 years old. What do you guys think about this?

Steve Sellers

Steve:

Well for sure he is holding the cards. If he has some with bone handles, they are worth much more than $75.00. How are the ones you have marked on the tang stamp? Like to see his collection. The really valuable ones came for the most part, before the see through tubes called a ViewPak. I've never seen a production 1950's Schrade with bone handles in original packaging.

Hal

Hal,

Forgive my ignorance, but is what you call the tang stamp the place on the main blade that has the knife's model number?

Steve

Hal,

Forgive my ignorance, but is what you call the tang stamp the place on the main blade that has the knife's model number?

Steve

That's right Steve, and the pattern number of the knife might be on the back on some.

tang.jpg

Thanks, Hal. Time to go feed the cows. Later I'll check out the ones that I bought and reply on this thread or perhaps PM you.

Steve

OK,
I should have read your tang stamp. :foot:
This is cool! :cool:
It is not often you can date a Schrade this closely, well, sort of.

Schrade made a 147RB (RB for Razor Blade Stainless).
It appears in the catalogs from 1966 to 1968.

HOWEVER, the 147RB is listed as having a Staglon handle with finger grooves and an aluminum guard.
Yours has a brass guard and stacked leather handles..........another Schrade enigma! Unless someone changed the handles.......but I don't think that is likely, sincce you say you have had it for 30 years.

So, based on this info, I would say that yours is worth more than my original estimate. I think it would be worth $35 to $50, IF you find the right collector.

This will teach me not to read ALL of the tang stamp!

I hope this helps.
Dale

Dale, Schrade used their own stock tang stampings on quite a few SFO knives from that time period, including knives made for Sears, Coast and others. This might explain the RB features on a leather handled hunting knife. It doesn't comply with what we know from the existing company catalogs, but that doesn't preclude it having been specially assembled for a SFO buyer.

Michael

I'm hoping this is an acceptable place to post this, I did search the forum and this thread but didn't see the info already.

I'm in the UK and I would like to buy a Sharpfinger. I have seen places that sell them online, but they're all in the US and I couldn't find one that looked reliable during my brief googling (and on top of that, shipping was always more than the knife itself). Does anyone know how I can get hold of one with relative ease?

I initially thought ebay but then saw that for some reason knives, despite being legal, are prohibited items on UK ebay. I see them in international results (for good prices, too) but I don't know how I'd fair trying to buy a prohibited item from another country's ebay site and I'm afraid to try.

Edit: For clarification, this knife is by no means illegal to own in the UK.

Some sellers on the U.S. eBay ship to Europe, Australia and Asia frequently and likely would be able to answer your questions for you about shipping and customs. Good luck! The Sharpfinger is and has always been a favorite of mine!

Michael

Do you happen to have any idea of whether that would work though? Since it's a prohibited item on my country's version of ebay. I'm just scared that ebay will notice and cause a fuss.

Well, Aussie Larry (larry303) or another member, possibly a Canadian here might be able to tell you more definately just how it works, but I would guess that by logging onto and buying from the U.S. eBay site would preclude U.K. eBay from knowing what you were buying as much as if you were buying from any retailer in the U.S.

Just my own humble opinion.

Michael

Any background info on this latest eBay find?
The tang is stamped: Imperial Prov. R.I. USA

The blade is 4 1/2" with total length of 8 3/4" Looks like black plastic handles.
It's been well used, but taken care of......I plan to mod it some anyway, with new guard and handles.
Any info on it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Imperial cowboy knife.jpg
    Imperial cowboy knife.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 11
Back