Schrade FAQ: Is the answer to your question here? Steel, dates, models.

Bill,
I wonder if the A8OBN is another number for the ACB80 which I think is the Cigar Box Anniversary version of the 8OT? Or maybe it is an Anniversary edition of the 8OT that was not listed in the price list.

Do you have some paper work that came with the knife that you could post for us? It might be helpful.

The anniversary knives listed came initially from the 2004 Schrade Price list and from posts of members of the forum.

I took the measurement of the 8OT from Schrade's 2004 price list. I would not be surprised if there was some variation in size, though I have not really sat down and measured the knives.

Dale

Even Schrade employees had a hard time keeping up with the numbers. According to one, many patterns were prepped as anniversary issues, as the XT2ANN photo and the recent sale of a 165 anniversary issue show. Even 897UH's were etched and shielded if I remember correctly. Ebay sellers sometimes either make up numbers, or use whatever numbers they find on bags as gospel. I guess the eventual uncovering of the factory records is the only way a lot of this will be finally ironed out. And maybe not even then.

Codger

Dale,

Paperwork?...Paperwork?...We don't need no stinking...ooops, sorry, :eek: ...wrong movie.
The knife came to me from Schrade, unwrapped, in that plain white box. No paperwork or anything else. I actually ordered it from the online Schrade Store...which was open/working for about two weeks, maybe??? IIRC, there was going to be a new pattern each month, with a limit of 100 of each (for 100th Anniversary?). I like the Stockman pattern so I bit. After about a month and it still didn't show, I called and actually talked with Ms. Chase... about a week later, it just showed up in the plain white box. Wish Ms. Chase still came around some. :(

Anyway, I thought you folks might want to see it.

Bill

Bill,
It is a great looking knife. I favor the stockman personally for a user. My favorite is the 61OT with the serpentine shape, but the 8OT is a strong second in my way of thinking.

Anyway, you have a great knife and a unique one at that. :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing it with us.
Dale

Just to add a bit, Dale...
I think you and Codger may be correct about using the same basic knife for a couple of versions.
Here is a blue bone ACB80 on ebay (just for comparison)...
http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHRADE-KNIVES-...75266QQcategoryZ48820QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
I also have one like that in brown bone purchased from a forum member...both no shield, no etch, threaded bolsters...like the Cigar Box series, but without the Federal escutcheon.
The A80BN, has a rope Old Timer escutcheon with a 100th Anniversary blade etch, and is serialized. Maybe we should rename this series the Schrade Chameleon? :rolleyes:
As everybody here says..."With Schrade, anything is possible"...but, that's one reason why it's so much fun. :thumbup: :)

Bill

The 825(RB) was one of the Razorblade Stainless knives. I see it listed as late as 1989. I think it was listed as far back as the early fifties, also in Stainless. I don't believe it got the "RB" designation until the actual stainless series was separately promoted in the mid 1960's. That help?

Codger

As a side note, I just received my Walden 885UH Senior Ranch. The tang on the master blade is marked:

SCHRADE
WALDEN
N.Y. U.S.A.
STAINLESS

And on the reverse is:

The other two blades are also marked on the reverse:
STAINLESS

Codger

Just to let you know, today, 2/2/06, I updated the posts of Schrade & Uncle Henry numbers on page 2 of this thread.
This was to include recent information I obtained from the 1988 Shortline Catalog, 1989 Shortline, 1990 Shortline & 1990 Retail price list.

To make it easier for those following this thread; here are the major changes:

8OTY Frontiersman; 4 in. clip, sheepfoot, spey; same as Senior but w/yellow handles; Listed as new in 1990
34OTY Plainsman; 3-5/16"; clip, sheepfoot, spey; Same as Middleman but with yellow handle. Listed as new in 1990
36OT Saddleman; 3-5/16"; clip, sheepfoot, punch (also as Skoal) Listed as new in 1990
44OT Workmate; 3-5/16"; clip, sheepfoot, spey, Wharncliffe; Listed as new in 1990 & shown as 3-1/4 in.
89OT Blazer 4"; clip, serrated sheepfoot, spey, Listed as new in 1989 Shortline catalog
106OT Grandad's; 2-3/4"; clip, pen, scissors; Listed as new in 1990
225OT Son of a Gun; 5-1/4"; clip, saw; Listed as new in 1990, but appears in 1989 Shortline-perhaps introduced in late 1989
SP8 Cougar- 5 in.- folder w/ gut hook- plain blade; Listed as new in 1990
153UH Golden Spike- 9 1/4 in.- w/Sheath- fix blade; Listed in 1990 price list as high carbon steel
171UH Big Pro Hunter- 10 in; blade 5-1/5 in; 1971-1983 & 1990-1991; Listed as new in 1990 & as high carbon steel
172UH Wildcat- 9-1/2 in; blade 5 in.; 1971-1973 & 1990-1991; Listed as new in 1990 & as high carbon steel
833UH Prairie Jack- 3-5/16 in. clip & pen blades, Listed as new in 1989 shortline catalog
834UH Rancher- 3 5/16 in.- stockman; Listed as new in 1989 shortline catalog & called Trailmaster

As we all know anything is possible with Schrade. This is the info as put forth by Schrade in their catalogs, (a notoriously unreliable source of info sometimes). A case in point is the 225OT. It is listed in the 1989 Shortline and then in the 1990 catalog as a new item. I would speculate that it was perhaps late in production and was not released until 1990........I am not sure. Does anyone know any more on the production dates of this knife?

The 44OT workmate is listed as new in 1990 and shown as 3-1/4 in instead of the 3-5/16 that I originally had on the list. Were there two sizes made or is one of my numbers in error?
Does anyone have a 44OT Workmate that they can measure, & perhaps post a picture?

As always if you have any additional information or corrections please email me at:
dalervincent@comcast.net

Hello all,

I am new to this so I do not even know if I am doing this right, but anyway I have a 1990 limited edition series of the great outdoors with 7 knives the serial numbers are:SC502, SC503, SC505, SC507, SC513, 515SC, 518SC. The numbers are stamped on the blades as shown here. I bought this back in '90 for less than $300 and have not had much luck in finding anything out about this set of knives. Can anyone tell me how much the set might be worth today. If anyone can help me I would reallly appreciate it. The set came with sheaths for some of the knives and I do not know what happened to the sheaths or the boxes that the set came with. I know I did not throw any of this stuff away but have moved a few times since and it is probably hidden away somewhere. It also came with a wooden display case that they have been kept in since I bought the set.

Thanks,
Jim

Thank you I have been all over the Internet looking for something on this set of knives and could not find anything about them.

Thanks again,
Jim

Hello I did not mean to seem curt. The time to have sold your set was last year when scrims were really bringing top prices. I do not off hand know how many of your set were made. However the pricing on these has leveled off. I would have to look up your specific year to know which scrims you actually have. If you need specific answers feel free to email at lt632ret@frontiernet.net . I know I have original brochures and info but getting to them is a problem if you really need more info please contact me. If some one else wants to pitch in to advise your assistance is appreciated. LT

Welcome to our forum, kymo1970. LT has given you sound information so far. What you paid for the set is about correct.

According to Levine's BRL#4.. the knives in this set are as follows: 502- Sharpfinger. 503- Small lockback. 505- Stockman. 507- Lockback. 511- Cub Lockback. 513- 3" Barehead. 515- 4" Lockback. 518- Guthook hunter.

The numbers on the blades, kymo, are model numbers of the knives.

I have an engraved schrade knife blade approxmately 4 1/2 inches, only the blade, no handle. The engraving is in gold and has 3 B-17 aircraft, the wording "Strategic Bombing of Germany" and "U.S, Army Air Force". On the tang is "SCHRADE U.S. WWII". On eBay there were at least two other similiar blades, I believe they were for the Navy and Coast Guard. Does anyone know anything about this item?

Your blade is from the WWII special edition set made by Schrade ( see attached ) While this attached picture is not the greatest ( my set is presently on display and I cannot take other pics at the moment this set issued in 1991 to commerate the 50th anniversary of WWII had 6 large folders each one commerating one branch of the US military (depicting a scene in which that branch had played a notable part in ) as well as a large black chromed bowie. Blades were etched and engraved in 14 K the folders have inletted service branch shields. the center piece has a depiction of the USS Arizona being bombed by Mitsubishi grade zero bombers in the cowardly japanese attack in Pearl Harbor. The entire set sold for 2000 dollars new. They were offered in white and brown stag. The set in the picture is the original set used for the various advertisments in the VFW, American Legion, ect magazines in 1991. It has a numbered marking of 000. A similar set was offered by SMKC recently as the set used in the ads. It also had a 000 designation however it was a simple salemans example and the seller had simply copied either from a manifest or the auction brochure the information they had been given. The proof of this statment is the fact that my set is the only one which has one side handled in white stag and one side in brown this was only done on one set so that both options could be shown in some of the ads. While several ads were done in which a regular set like this might have been used this set was the one designed and done specificly for this purpose. Please note I have posted extensive pictures of this set and commented on it in the past ( perhapes Larry or one of you guys more adapt than I could see if they can be found and posted. I always appreciate the help.) I have seen the blades alone being sold and Schrade did have exras for repairs ect. When I did customer show for them the leftover pieces were sold individually. Some people also bought them to use. One guy a hunting Guide from Montana bought a Marine version but only on condition that we put a razor edge on it ( we always had a portable sharpener and Alex who I think is the best knife sharpener in the world I have written about him before. ) Anyway I tried to explain that the knife was mainly a collectable. Now I was 350 lbs and I stand several inchs over 6 foot. So when this fellow who was blocking my view and looking down on me said it was his knife and that he would do whatever he wanted to with it. I responded simply I hoped he enjoyed his new knife however he decided to use it. He put it in his pocket smiled gave me his card said SEMPER FI and lumbered away. Now I know why there are bigfoot sightings in Montana. I cannot offer an opinion on the value of the blade alone but it sure would look dandy if you could get the blade put on one of the stag LB7 versions ( a thread was just posted last week on this type of knife which appears now and then.) I hope I have not bored you with my ramblings if you need more info please just let me know and I will try to help.

Information furnished by lt632ret is very interesting to me. I would be interested in finding a handle that the blade could mate up with. Anyone who has one or knows of one and someone who repairs knives should reply to this thread.

It was my suggestion for Jabbott to ask if any one could help ( this retired Airforce Sgt ). Now I know some of you do this stuff how about a volunteer to help this Vet carry a momento of his Branch. I got the partsers to kick in they won't be stag but I have the right frames and if he wants different handles he can have them put on later or work it out with anyone who wants to help. Any takers? I will even kick in a couple of partsers for whoever volunteers. LT

Back