Schrade FAQ: Is the answer to your question here? Steel, dates, models.

Ok I guess either these guys are jammed up with there own stuff or are like me and not very mechanical. I mailed your partsers a large Uncle Henry Staglon and a LB-7. Both need cleaning and a simple blade replacment ( at least near as I can tell. Let me know if I can help any further. I also added a little something extra a couple of brochure packets. Like a pusher gives a future addict a free shot. Enjoy also let me know if you need a blank shield so that you can engrave what you want on it. On the UH you can turn the shield over and use the other side. Shields should be inletted but with todays adhesives it is not necessary unless the slight raise of the metal bothers you. I may have an original air force shield around but it would not work with the UH anyway and it it could pop up tomorrow or 20 years from now. Just let me know, I can if you want send a large oval that you could put your initials or dates of services or the declaraction of independence ( but in the case of the declaration, you would have to write very very small ). Keep em flying. LT

Hey, names kevin, new to the forum.

I recently came into a possession of a knife. The blade says "Schrade Scrimshaw" and further down by the hinge (sorry if my knife terms are a bit off) it says:
SCHRADE +
USA SC705

on the handle, there is a picture of a bear with a fish in its paws by a river, it looks like its signed by some artist, but its very small print and i cant make out what is says. I was just wondering if anyone could give me more information on this knife and maybe an approximate value. Thankyou in advance.

Welcome to the forum.I have the same knife.It's supposed to be a SC507 with a transposed tang stamp.Who knows.I bought mine because I like Scrims.The artist,(one of you guys will have to spell his name for me)Frank G.did a lot of great work for Shrade.The date is 1987.You can see mine at ebay #6586624515.Toby

The artists name is Frank Giorgianni,sorry I could not spell it last night.About your knife,I have a 4 pin Sc507 with brass bolsters from 1981 with the same pattern scrimed on it.Since these are 3 pin models with nickel silver bolsters they may have used theSC705 to distinguish the two.The 3 pins supposedly didn't show up till the late 80's

I have a 171uh with a brass head i was wondering what the value was for this knife. If anyone knows please let me know.

Condition certainly is mitigating, going under the asumption that it is decent 70 to 125 perhapes a bit more depending on what goes with it. LT

I was going through a 2003 price list today and noticed that Schrade has 30 knives listed as new that year and 1 new multi-tool. they are as follows:

5UH, SS1AB, SS15, SS16, SS17, SQ421, SQ423, SQ424, SQ312, SQ316, SQ222, SQ224, SQ111, AV92B, AV97B, 60TX, 60TXB, 60TXG, 60TXBU, XT1B, XT2B, XT3B, SPF1LTD, SX4, SX4B, SX20, SX21, SX23, & a ST5E multi-tool.

This made me think.......if they were having cash flow problems, why all the new products? Many of those were brand new patterns involving new technology. Why so much capitol investment in new stuff if they were in trouble? Or were they unaware of pending problems? I think someone in here mentioned that they had a large loan called in, but I could be mistaken.

Dale

You would have to go to the archives there you will find my opinion which I have recanted more times than any sane person would ( which should explain my mental state ). You will also see all the versions that differ from mine. I have brought the very point you mention out before my answer was it was bad managment or else the global economy or any number of placating, lets accept it , It wasent a setup , it had nothing to do with foreign designs to control markets, explanations.

So whats the difference it is only one card in the deck. The same people that made the planes to kill us in WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam. will soon have full control of the auto industry ( in reality they pretty much do right now ). Along with most major markets. We just gave the the contract to run most of the eastern seaports to an Arab country. When what the procedure used to make this decision was asked the answer was that it is done by congress and is some kind of secret.

Now I will have someone write and explain that this is a knife forum not a political one. However you see all of this is part of the problem and if you do not understand that and do not want to hear that then really the questions should not be asked.

For those who feel uncomfortable with my statments or consider me a broken record you are correct in fact I hate the subject. I simply do not know why I just cannot just shut up, roll over, and accept all the bullshit pablum which seems to placate so many. I am fully aware that my efforts are completely futile and why make anyone uncomfortable with the truth. When we can accept a more comfortable truth.

Schrade is old news, Americans like Taylor are simply dupes who have no problem dealing with anyone for a dollar and the american public will gladly buy from people who may have killed a parent or grand parent if it saves a dollar. The dirtbags who went to Canada and then came back to run there familys businesses were as it turns out the smartest ones of all. Yup the good old USA forgive forget and place whatever dosen't offend any one in place and call it history.

Years ago an old marine Hell cat pilot told me that if I thought we had won WWII then I had a lot to learn about the insidious mindset and patience of our enemys.

You asked LT

lt632ret said:
Years ago an old marine Hell cat pilot told me that if I thought we had won WWII then I had a lot to learn about the insidious mindset and patience of our enemys.

You asked LT

That is so true. I doubt anyone who has not been to the Orient, or at least spent years studying the history, could understand the truth of that statement.

I personally will not but any Nike product, as they were the first to put a factory in Vietnam. Based of my experience in that part of the world, I think it would appeal greatly to their sense of ironic humor, to take (even one) surviving POW and make him work in the Nike factory and then sell the shoes to Nike for sales in the United States.
I would not expect anyone who did not serve in Vietnam to understand my thinking, though some familiar with the region may understand.

I think the discussion of politics in this forum is appropriate. Were it not for the politics of business in the 21st Century, many of us would not be collecting Schrades, and Schrade would still be making the fine knives we all love and collect.

Thank you LT for input on this matter. You are a student of the blade and the history (yes, even politics) surrounding it.

Dale

"Now I will have someone write and explain that this is a knife forum not a political one. However you see all of this is part of the problem and if you do not understand that and do not want to hear that then really the questions should not be asked.

... I simply do not know why I just cannot just shut up, roll over, and accept all the bullshit pablum which seems to placate so many. I am fully aware that my efforts are completely futile and why make anyone uncomfortable with the truth. When we can accept a more comfortable truth."

This really is not a political issue, it is a survival issue. For example what is happening right now in the paper industry is the communists have built two huge paper mills that have the production capacity of all of our mills combined, which with their cheap labor can produce paper at less than half the cost that we can. Since they don't have an abundant supply of trees they buy up the pulp in this country thus adding even more of a burden on our mills. The fact that they can still produce the product at half the cost even though they don't have the natural resources in their country puts the low cost of their labor more into perspective.I remember the talk of the domino effect, IMO they were only half right, the domino effect is happening in a different way, that cheap comm paper not only effects our paper mills, but our printers, the book binders, and so on. In a year maybe two, there will be another news story that "comes out of no where" when we find out Americans no longer own our forests and that the American paper industry is dead. My apologies to anyone if they feel this is political because it wasn't my intention, I am just trying to illustrate what is happening to other companies like Schrade.

Mike

I'm a novice and I wanted to replace an old Uncle Henry I had 20 years ago. So I bought one on ebay. The ebay ad said it was on older model. It looks like my old one did but I went to the Taylor site and darned if the picture they show of their cheap chinese imitation looks exactly like mine. Is there some mark or other way to know I got the real deal?

Welcome spotsva, I spent a lot of time down that way on the Rappahanic.
I think as long as your knife has USA stamp on the blade you have the real thing, as least I'm not aware of any that didn't, but I have been wrong before.
Rick

Welcome, spotsyva!

If your knife has the USA on the tang, then it is the real thing.

Phil

Unless it is a Camillus. Or Bear. Or Arrowhead. Did someone mention that Utica had some of the tooling too?

Codger

yes, my understanding is all the tooling to make the Schrade Walden bolstered pocket knives was shipped to Utica Cutlery. However, don't forget all the WIP from the auction that was already tang stamped and might be assembled somewhere else.

Yes, I have wondered if that might have been the source of most of the mismatched cover/blade combos and the ones that look "janitor built". We started seeing those not long after the sale and it has been assumed that they were just factory "last ditch" knives. The genesis of the unfinished parts is an interesting question that no one has really dug for an answer to that I am aware of. Maybe that is where those two 147s that Toby showed us came from, assembled from bits and pieces by someone who either didn't care what the knife originally looked like, or just plain didn't know, or didn't have access to the right parts to build one correctly. Perhaps Mr. Parker knows the answer to that question. Have the components been sent somewhere for assembly? They really have not been showing up as components on eBay. Only a few odds and ends.

Codger

The Tradesmen series, I think. Some guy named Kevin thinks it is worth $179.27 or more, so that's good enough for me.

Codger :)

Back