Schrade Fixed Blades!

Thanks to everyone for the knice comments. It took awhile to come up with the knives; I guess hunting knives have always been my first (but not my only) love. And Schrades are not the only ones out there!

Unfortunately those choil keeper straps were more likely to be cut than the handle keeper straps. Thus the change. The same was true of that sheath design for the early 152OT knives.

Huh. Shows what I know.

I got my 165!
On the bay, I was snug in my sniper's nest when the timer jumped from 6 seconds to 4, I hit bid, I hit confirm, and it said, "0. This auction is over". I thought I'd missed it until I saw my email this morning. Maybe 20 seconds will be close enough next time.
$37.75 + $7 isn't too bad, I think, even though the sheath looks like I made it.

I still can't find my staglon 498, so it's a good thing I bought that leather one that seemed like an unnecessary extra at the time.

I've been meaning to get one of those,they look like a great design. I prefer a full to near full flat or slightly convex grind for my woods knives.

I must confess I bought the story rather than the knife. Or, to be precise, I bought the story of the SCH55, which followed this one. Only after reading that Brian Griffin had severed his ties with Schrade did I grab this one up. I imagine there will still be some on the shelves for a while.

The threads where Griffin explained his design made fascinating reading. I think has has since pulled most of the interesting content.

I bought a 165OT back in '89 and paid $69.99 for it. I carried it a couple of times but I don't think I actually ever used it, or at least very much. I seem to remember trying to sharpen it, why I don't know. I still have it and it's the reason why I don't buy fixed blades, it's the only one I need.

I do have an LB5 that has a broken back spring which broke in '95 or so but never got around to send it back to Schrade. Well it's too late now.

DjDzcwk.jpg

Huh. Shows what I know.

I got my 165!
On the bay, I was snug in my sniper's nest when the timer jumped from 6 seconds to 4, I hit bid, I hit confirm, and it said, "0. This auction is over". I thought I'd missed it until I saw my email this morning. Maybe 20 seconds will be close enough next time.
$37.75 + $7 isn't too bad, I think, even though the sheath looks like I made it.

I still can't find my staglon 498, so it's a good thing I bought that leather one that seemed like an unnecessary extra at the time.
Congrats on the get! FYI there is a new sheath for it on eBay right now.

Congrats on the get! FYI there is a new sheath for it on eBay right now.
Got it. It raises the price of the knife, but it saves me the trouble of trying to make a sheath that looks like a sheath, and it looks quite well made.
Pics when they get here.

Anyway, look at all I saved not getting that Trestle Pine gunflint that suddenly leaped way above $17.

Last edited:
Back