Schrade + Golden SPike with box and papers

153UH production numbers

Shipped Year
1 1972

<--------- snip -------->
665,924 total shipped
THese are just the 153UH bulk numbers It does not include the sfo's
I'd sure like to have the one that shipped in 1972. Anybody know if it is still around?

Just wanted to add to this thread. I just received a nice 153 serialed. Got it today, appears unused, unpolished, unused sheath and stone, in box, in the original plastic sleeves, with the paperwork. Serial number based on Irv's post puts it around 78 I'm guessing.

Got it for a little over what would be the wholesale price if you CPI(consumer price index) 1978's price list for dealers in 2015 dollars. Its how I rationalize to myself and the wife my knife expenditures.:D

The deals are still there you just have to look and sometimes ask questions. That's a hint if you wanna look you'll see the knife I fished out of the bay. It's not the best deal I've gotten off the site on a 153 but it's still a good one given the going rate and activity.

I'll try and post a pic at a later date.

Last edited:
I would like to know when my Carbon Non-sterilized bladed 153UH was made.
When did they stop numbering them... Ken
medium

Last edited:
I know this thread is a bit old. But I recently came across a Schrade Golden Spike 153UH carbon steel blade with four-digit serial number that starts with the letter "G". As in "GXXXX". Anybody know what this means?

I know this thread is a bit old. But I recently came across a Schrade Golden Spike 153UH carbon steel blade with four-digit serial number that starts with the letter "G". As in "GXXXX". Anybody know what this means?
I would guess that the "G" might stand for Golden Spike? At any rate the carbon steel ones are desirable. Can you post a photo of it here?

What is an SFO?

Special factory order. Likely for a specific merchant. Or possibly a factory limited edition issue. Hard to say for sure without seeing the knife in detail and its original packaging and brochures.

They ran knives 0001 through 9999, then A0001 through A9999, then B0000, then ..... This is called alpha numeric serialization. You can note that they made quite a few of these knives.

I was under the impression that the stock serialism get went higher than 1000 before resorting to using alpha prefixes. But then my memory isn't what if used to be.

I didn't realize alphas were used on 153 serialization for regular production knives. I thought the serialization of 153s stopped long before they achieved 999,999. OK post #18by lrv clears up my question at least somewhat.

Last edited:
I didn't realize alphas were used on 153 serialization for regular production knives. I thought the serialization of 153s stopped long before they achieved 999,999. OK post #18by lrv clears up my question at least somewhat.
This is my 153UH, it dose not have a serial number. Ken
medium

I was under the impression that the stock serialism get went higher than 1000 before resorting to using alpha prefixes. But then my memory isn't what if used to be.

So... 10,000 instead of 1000? That makes sense. Thanks for the correction. Boy, they made a lot of knives!

Fatcity,

When Schrade offered the Loss Replacement Policy...the Original Knives went out with Serial Numbers. To avoid unscrupulous activity they typically replaced the Lost knife with a non-serialized replacement. This way you couldn't get another replacement because there was no serial number to register it with. This may be pat of the reason you have some without serial numbers.

This is what happens when folks take advantage of the system. Just my two cents worth!

Tom

Tchase,

So the serialization of regular production 153s last their entire run until the company closed in 2004?

I was under the understanding that serialization ended sometime in the mid to late 80s. I have an off the rack 153uh my Dad bought my for my birthday sometime in the mid to late 80's from Orchard Supply hardware here in California that has no serial numbers. Came with box and paperwork unserialized. Might have been a production mistake though, a replacement knife getting into a retail sale box. The other 153uh I have with no serial numbers was purchased on the auction site.

Fatcity,

When Schrade offered the Loss Replacement Policy...the Original Knives went out with Serial Numbers. To avoid unscrupulous activity they typically replaced the Lost knife with a non-serialized replacement. This way you couldn't get another replacement because there was no serial number to register it with. This may be pat of the reason you have some without serial numbers.

This is what happens when folks take advantage of the system. Just my two cents worth!

Tom

Just my two cents worth. Tom
Hi Tom,
I always like to see you; put your two cents worth into a degustation. :thumbup:
Every time you do, it's worth a dollar... Thanking you for Your reply...Ken

There can be no doubt Schrade made good knives.
However, their history has been very poorly recorded.
Buck knives, maintained a much better system - from day one.

Last edited:
Back