Schrade Lake & Walker - The first 1000 numbered knives with BG24 blades.

Nice knife Dave. I like the price you paid for that SLW1. I have seen them sell for $US175... Ken

This morning I "won" my first Lake & Walker. It's a BG42 SLW-1 "First Production Run 1 of 500" with pouch and some paperwork (no box). This one flew by under the radar and I was able to grab it for a ridiculously low price too. SCORE! :D

Hi Dave, what is the number on your SLW1. They are very hard knives to find.

Does anyone have any Schrade Badger knives?

Hi Hal, what Schrade Badger do you mean? I have some Badgers in my Collection.
Some made in the U.S. - some made in China and some were made in Irland. I have some fixed blade Badgers with bone handles. Ken

I have one of the fixed blades with delrin handles. I use it in the kitchen all the time. The other type though, are their different varieties?

I have one of the fixed blades with delrin handles. I use it in the kitchen all the time. The other type though, are their different varieties?

Sorry Hal I can't post photos on this sight.

1.http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=131&image_id=4133
2. http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=131&image_id=4118
3.http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=131&image_id=4093
4.http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=131&image_id=4092

Badger 1. Was made in Ireland and have silver and black blades. (nice well made knives)
2. These fixed blade Badgers have bone handles.
3. Is an older fixed blade Badger. (maybe like your Badger)
4. This Badger is an important part of my Schrade Collection; they were sold by Schrade in 2003-04 and were clearly stamped “China”.
This Badger is a well made knife and nothing like the rubbish made by Taylor Brands.
Schrade must have been thinking about having some of their knives made in China.

Last edited:
image.php

image.php

Very nice pictures. I just took the address of the AAPK hosted pic and put the

Schrade must have been thinking about having some of their knives made in China.

Schrade must have done more than think about it as your Chinese 2004 Schrade clearly demonstrates. We all like to sing USA Schrade hymns and abhor Chinese Taylor knives but really... Imperial Schrade has to go offshore the same as every other US manufacturer or they will go out of business. My mistake, they are out of business. I guess they should have moved all their production to China in the mid-nineties and they might still be going today. Would we still be collecting them? I guess that's something that will never be answered but what got me on to collecting Schrade "safe-queens" was the very fact that they went under.

I just thought I'd voice this and ask the members:

"Should Schrade have moved to China long before they went under in order to stay afloat?"

"Would we still love them today if all their knives were made offshore but still ISC?"

I'm just interested to hear some opinions on this.

Hi Dave Old Mate, by the way Dave "Old Mate" is as good as you can go in Australia - much better than "Old Friend"
I have been collecting Schrade knives since 1972. When they closed down I put a lot of time and money into collecting knives and tools Schrade sold beween 2000 and 2004.
I found the Q3 knives hard to find.(Viper, Nitro and Silhouete) The SW7s Switchit and the Lightweight (SP1, SP2 and SP3) The Avatar (AV7, AV97b, AV77 AV2 ect) The Cliphangers - The X-Timers.
Safe-Grip (47OT, 49OT,140OT, 141OT, 143OT and the 147OT) The Badgers were being made in Iealand and China (5 modles of them) Navitool and I-Quip - Simon (4 or 6 modles).

All of these knives sill had the good old "made in the USA" workmanship go into them.

As for my Schrade USA Badger that was made in China; it is the only one I have seen, and it is a very well made knife - nothing like Taylor Brands rubbish.
Someone droped the ball, and I do not think it was Schrade. Maybe people didnot like a less expencive knife and stopped buying them.
We love cars made from plastic and very little steel, now-a-days and do't mind if they come from China.

By the way Dave, what is the number stamped on your SLW1? They were made in 2000 and were a slow seller I think ($200 RRP) ... Ken

Last edited:
Hi Dave Old Mate, by the way Dave "Old Mate" is as good as you can go in Australia - much better than "Old Friend"
I have been collecting Schrade knives since 1972. When they closed down I put a lot of time and money into collecting knives and tools Schrade sold beween 2000 and 2004.
I found the Q3 knives hard to find.(Viper, Nitro and Silhouete) The SW7s Switchit and the Lightweight (SP1, SP2 and SP3) The Avatar (AV7, AV97b, AV77 AV2 ect) The Cliphangers - The X-Timers.
Safe-Grip (47OT, 49OT,140OT, 141OT, 143OT and the 147OT) The Badgers were being made in Iealand and China (5 modles of them) Navitool and I-Quip - Simon (4 or 6 modles).

All of these knives sill had the good old "made in the USA" workmanship go into them.

As for my Schrade USA Badger that was made in China; it is the only one I have seen, and it is a very well made knife - nothing like Taylor Brands rubbish.
Someone droped the ball, and I do not think it was Schrade. Maybe people didnot like a less expencive knife and stopped buying them.
We love cars made from plastic and very little steel, now-a-days and do't mind if they come from China.

By the way Dave, what is the number stamped on your SLW1? They were made in 2000 and were a slow seller I think ($200 RRP) ... Ken

Thanks for the kind words, all the info and considered opinions regarding these sink-or-swim-Schrades, Ken. Interesting period in Schrade saga. It must have been hell for some folks at Schrade to know what 100 Years really meant for Schrade as they worked hard to make new products in a rapidly changing market. The world changed in the '90s and early '00s and losers were as common as winners in the emerging "Global Economy".

Sadly, the SLW1 didn't really fit the focus of my Schrade collection but happily it found a new home with someone who did really like it. I focus on the '80s really and branch out from there if bone or stag handles get involved.

I kept the pics though and it was a pretty low serial by our collector standards #0031.
serial on SLW1.jpg
I will say the SLW1 had a silky smooth feel to it and the lack of serrations, BG42 and general blade profile made it seem like a very useful and well thought out tool. I really did like the blade shape. The extra "safety" blade-lock switch was a little hard to find, as in never with a pair of gloves on, but it may well save a chopped off finger or two if used as directed so it's hard to find fault with the concept that's for sure. A little too "tacti-cool" for me. I prefer the more classic patterns I grew up with.

KoldGold,

I remember seeing this tread a year or so ago. Well I'm bringing it back to life. :) Some how I managed to get it cheap. seeing how these run for $50 & UP pending model.
Here is my Lake & Walker in Mint Condition, No box or paperwork. I read they came with a pouch. Is that true? If so I'd be interested in trying to pick one up.

Better pictures than the listing to come soon.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222238019147?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

KoldGold,

I remember seeing this tread a year or so ago. Well I'm bringing it back to life. :) Some how I managed to get it cheap. seeing how these run for $50 & UP pending model.
Here is my Lake & Walker in Mint Condition, No box or paperwork. I read they came with a pouch. Is that true? If so I'd be interested in trying to pick one up.

Better pictures than the listing to come soon.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222238019147?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Hi GASOUTHERNBOY,
You don't see those SLW2s at that price too often.
Most of the SLW2s had the serrated blade, and it was not until 2003, when Schrade sold the non-serrated blade.
All SLW2s have Stainless Blades! and the blades are stamped U.S.A.
I only have one of the non-serrated blade SLW2, it came in a Tin.
I would say, your SLW2 came in a Blue Box. Only the SLW1 with the BG42 non-serrated blade came in the pouch.
medium

This is the SLW1 with the BG42 blade. Note the blade tang is not stamped.
medium

Last edited:
Thanks for the information Mate :) I take it I'll have a hard time finding the correct tin.

Here's those photo's I'd said I would get.

Enjoy...Jamie

KEN,

I went and did a quick scan of my Schrade files and this is what I found:

SLW1- Started in 1999 with Limited Quantity of 1000
SLW2- Started in 2001 with a quantity of 500 done in Ireland
SLW2FE- Started in 2002 with a quantity of 102 knives. This was a SPECIAL Run. Stainless Steel, fine edge knife with Lake & Walker etch on pile side of blade, with the Mark Side Handle having a Sterling Shield (Shields provided by Ron Lake). The first two knives were serialized .00 & .000 (ONLY THOSE TWO WERE SERIALIZED) These were made for Ron Lake and they started shipping 2/28/2002

This should give you something else to hunt for...lol I know I am looking.

Tom

KEN,

I went and did a quick scan of my Schrade files and this is what I found:

SLW1- Started in 1999 with Limited Quantity of 1000
SLW2- Started in 2001 with a quantity of 500 done in Ireland
SLW2FE- Started in 2002 with a quantity of 102 knives. This was a SPECIAL Run. Stainless Steel, fine edge knife with Lake & Walker etch on pile side of blade, with the Mark Side Handle having a Sterling Shield (Shields provided by Ron Lake). The first two knives were serialized .00 & .000 (ONLY THOSE TWO WERE SERIALIZED) These were made for Ron Lake and they started shipping 2/28/2002

This should give you something else to hunt for...lol I know I am looking.

Tom
Thanks Tom,
The first run of the SLW1 was first sold in January 2000.
Paper work for the Lake & Walker 1.
medium

These two knife sets, were also sold in the middle of 2000.
The sets were sold to the distributer's for $200, with a retail price of $400.
medium

Yes sir...I only stated that they started the process with the SLW1 in 1999....delivery in January 2000 is very likely. This weekend I will scan my files further to see what else I can dig up!

Tom

Yes sir...I only stated that they started the process with the SLW1 in 1999....delivery in January 2000 is very likely. This weekend I will scan my files further to see what else I can dig up!

Tom

This production note for the SLW1 is dated December 1999.
medium

This is the production note for the Lake & Walker one and the D'holder one Displays.
medium

This morning I "won" my first Lake & Walker. It's a BG42 SLW-1 "First Production Run 1 of 500" with pouch and some paperwork (no box). This one flew by under the radar and I was able to grab it for a ridiculously low price too. SCORE! :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280752428951?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Here's the link to the original Lake & Walker flyer which was missing from this thread: http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/FLYERS/2000s/pages/SC00-CP164.htm
I know this late..I just won one for 25 shipped to the house..

Back