Schrade + LB7

Brand new to forums and to knife collecting. Trying to figure out a fair price for a Schrade LB7 with belt sheath. (Recently widowed sister-in-law is selling off husband's knives) It is very lightly used but still has original box and paperwork. It is NOT an Uncle Henry model. Tang is stamped "Schrade +" and "USA LB7". No serial number so according to what I have learned so far it is mid 80's or later. I seem to remember that the Schade + refers to the quality of the stainless steel used for the blade. Would really appreciate any information/help. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sure sounds like an Uncle Henry.....an Uncle Henry LB7.

Got a pic you can post?

Schrade + indicates that it is stainless steel as opposed to a tang stamp like "Schrade" without the + which is usually on carbon steel blades.

Does it look like this? And what color is the box?

schradecollection102008062-1.jpg

and is your last name Tomlin? If so, we should discuss things like if we are kin or not.

As far as the value, if it is in similar condition to mine, I would think 40-50 bucks as I have seen them go for that, locally and on the bay.

What else does she have?

Couldn't see your pic on the computer I'm using. :( Will have to check back late Monday.
White box, white cover sleeve. "Free replacement if lost" guarantee certificate inside. Didn't Schrade only offer that on the Uncle Henry line?
I'll try and upload a pic tomorrow or Tuesday.
His knives were spread out in several different places, she's still getting them all together and I'm not sure just what she has. I can post a list when she's done.
Sorry, last name isn't Tomlin.
Thanks for the info!

The LB7 is an Uncle Henry, 100% of the time, with rosewood handles. Are you thinking yours is not an Uncle Henry? :confused: I have one in a white box stamped like the one in the Sharp Idea box, and it does have a serial number.

You are correct that they replaced all Uncle Henry's if lost. White box LB7's usually had a serial number too. I think pictures would be a big help.

tHawk - that's just the information I need. It's that type of basic knowledge I'm trying to pick up. I looked on "the bay" and I couldn't tell from info there that LB7 = UH 100% Thanks a jillion! And, boy do I feel silly. I need to pay more attention to detail. I went back and checked - the box says right on it, Uncle Henry. The literature inside says Uncle Henry Bear Paw LB7. The knife does have a serial number. Guess what threw me was that "Uncle Henry" was not stamped on the base of the blade, I have a couple of other Uncle Henry models with "Uncle Henry" stamped on the base of the blade, so I assumed (even though I know better) that ALL UH's would be stamped like that. I suspected someone might have substituted the wrong knife in there. By accident , of course! :)
I did say I knew very little about knives! This proves it! But I am learning...

I do tend to ask a lot of silly questions when I'm getting started on something new, so please bear with me. And feel free to laugh at me any time, I'm used to it!

lwt210 - I'm getting that list together along with some pics. And I didn't realize a non-paying member could post pics. Glad to learn I can.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Last edited:
so what was the serial number. and as an aside later LB-7's did indeed have Uncle Henry on the blade.

This is an interesting thread. I went and pulled out mine which I thought said Uncle Henry LB7, but after looking closly, it only has the word SHRADE+
.... no other text anywhere else on the knife except the serial#3825** on the left bolster-same side as nail nick. Have no idea when produced as it was found along a creek bank in CT more than 15 years ago by a relative.

runninmike, serial #3825** indicates an earlier made knife. When the numbers went past #999999, they went to adding an "A" to the front and then so forth through the alphabet until they gave up serializing them.

15q51c4.jpg

delmas -it's M33830, and has 4 pins. Posted that & the rest of the info in Codger's "LB7 survey" thread just now.

runninmike, serial #3825** indicates an earlier made knife. When the numbers went past #999999, they went to adding an "A" to the front and then so forth through the alphabet until they gave up serializing them.

15q51c4.jpg

thanks codger_64, I noticed mine too has 4 pins. 3 brass pins per scale with a stainless back spring pin.

4p.jpg

Picture of LB7 knives, showing 3 Pin and 4 Pin examples. Handle pins only in the count. :)

has anyone else noticed the markedly different blade shapes and nail nicks on the LB 7's? i line mine up and marvel at the difference.

4p.jpg

Picture of LB7 knives, showing 3 Pin and 4 Pin examples. Handle pins only in the count. :)

my name is frankysp on the buck 110 forum and I just tuned in to this shrade forum because I have quite few shrades uncle henrys and oldtimers some {most} in the boxes I also have a couple of LB-7s but my pride and joy are the LB-8s I picked up on "the bay" however the info I just got on the LB-7s was great I was looking for just that information thanks again

P1214448.jpgP1264478.jpg here are the shrades I mentioned just two of them I ave more like I said the LB-7 on the left didn't come out very good will post better cnes later

New knife to me, I think it's a schrade uncle Henry, Numbers on it are lb7 at the base of the blade. The serial number on it is T1987

What can you tell me from that info?

welcome to the wonderful world of Schrade and especially the lock backs. to me the best knife made by Schrade but then again i am partial to it. yours was made probably in the 80's. the serial number went from just numbers to all the way up to BBxxx which is the highest documented on here.

Attachments

• table display 02.jpg
    table display 02.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 48
Delmas

That is a very impressive display of Lb7's, congratulations. I carry one about 99% of the time. It is a great design, IMO.
Question: the knife in the front row, second from the left, looks like it has scrimshaw on it. It that knife still called a LB7 with scrim or does it have a different designation because of the scrim?

Last edited:
In my collection of Schrade knives, I have only one LB7.

It came from the factory in a white box with a white sleeve.

The box contained a “SCHRADE” lather sheath.
All paperwork numbering 3 is present.

The front of the white box says: LB-7 SCHRADE+ SCHRADE CUTLERY CORP. ELLENVILL. N.Y. 12428

The top of the box says: Uncle Henry SCHRADE CUTLERY CORP.

The tang stamp says: SCHRADE+ U.S.A. LB7

Paperwork says: The Ultimate Lock Back by SCHRADE. The Uncle Henry BEAR PAW.

One of the bolsters is stamped: 188251, and the rose-wood handle has four pins.

Last edited:
it is a LB 7 but is the Sundance knife. they were a set made for different indian religious acts and beliefs. i have Morningstar and Thunderbird also but as a whole set. the last photo is a closeup of the knife in question. has scrimshaw on both side.

Delmas

That is a very impressive display of Lb7's, congratulations. I carry one about 99% of the time. It is a great design, IMO.
Question: the knife in the front row, second from the left, looks like it has scrimshaw on it. It that knife still called a LB7 with scrim or does it have a different designation because of the scrim?

Attachments

• Thunderbird Scrimshaw 01.jpg
    Thunderbird Scrimshaw 01.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Morning Star 01.jpg
    Morning Star 01.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Indian Scrimshaw 01.jpg
    Indian Scrimshaw 01.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 35
it is a LB 7 but is the Sundance knife. they were a set made for different indian religious acts and beliefs. i have Morningstar and Thunderbird also but as a whole set. the last photo is a closeup of the knife in question. has scrimshaw on both side.
like you i, it is my EDC. i carry it in my back pocket next to my billfold.

Back