schrade scrim artist

John Duffy was hired to replace Frank when he retired in 1992. Other artists prepared art on occasion such as Bill Feeney and Linda Karst. Some clients provided their own artwork such as Ducks Unlimited at times.
Thank you so much CODGER.. i sent you a picture of a fixed blade the fella swears it was a schrade but theres no tang stamp but the SCHRADE etching i guess is half way up the blade at the top of the spine.. I dont no him personally it was one of those i no a guy that knows aguy who ???? LOL.. you get the picture.. THANKS GOD BLESS MY KNEW KNIFE FRIEND

Another example of when Schrade used a bunch of different scrimshanders was the Amex Presidents 5-knife set.

https://collectors-of-schrades-r.us/Ads/Amexs.pdf

There were 6000 sets produced so 30,000 knives had to be scrimmed. That's more than any single person could manage so you may find a number of different signatures on these knives.

It's also another example where the artwork was supplied to Schrade and not created by Schrade. "The American Historical Foundation" chose the images. They were taken from historical "master-piece paintings".

M. Barbour, another freelance artist associated with, IIRC, the Endangered Species set. I don't think the President series was individually hand scrimmed in micarta? Were they required to be touched up by hand after heat stamping or am I misremembering?

...I don't think the President series was individually hand scrimmed in micarta? Were they required to be touched up by hand after heat stamping or am I misremembering?

This particular time, you are remembering incorrectly. Close-but-no-cigar. Frank Giorgianni personally touched up any sub-par scrimshaw work done by the various sub-contractors. At the moment, I have three of the five knives in the Amex set and I've owned a number of other examples in the past. Most of the genuine scrimshaw is signed by the artist who did it but there is never a "F.G." or "Frank Giorgianni" signature.

As quoted from the original flyer: "You will treasure the intricate, hand-incised scrimshaw scenes..."

A little about Frank, as posted by his son Tom:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/schrade-artist-f-giorgianni.313482/post-3329721

Also from Tom Giorgianni, regarding the Amex series and the specific touch-up info:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/five-presidents-scrimshaw-set.397969/post-3667553

PMACrgB.jpg

TaJKe47.jpg

nxC7IcB.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction! I've slept since then if you look at the BRL date! Have you identified the AMEX artists?

Thanks for the correction! I've slept since then if you look at the BRL date! Have you identified the AMEX artists?

It was a long time ago! Great info none-the-less. I think I went down the rabbit-hole of potential artists about ten years ago but it eludes me now.

It was a long time ago! Great info none-the-less. I think I went down the rabbit-hole of potential artists about ten years ago but it eludes me now.
There is a scrimshander site now that has many known artists marks. You might find some of them there.

Back