Schrade Spitfire ATS34 Steel,G10 Handles,Titanium Lock Mechanism

The Schrade Spitfire SPF1 Ltd from 2002 is undoubtedly one of the superior knife productions by USA Schrade in its final years of production.
This knife was discussed recently on this Forum so I thought I would show it up close and personal.....
This mighty midget was not cheap when released due to its superior components.The blade is as sharp as any blade I have ever seen/felt including the Schrade Rogers changers.
It can be opened and closed with one hand <left or right> with ease and has foolproof locking mechanism and lanyard release.
3 1/8" long with 2" blade of ATS 34 steel. G-10 handles. and locking mechanism treated with titanium for strength.
My photos show it next to a Stag Handle Limited Edition Schrade UH Roadie for comparison of its size.....
If you see one come up for sale grab it as they dont come up often, and comparatively little is known about this great little knife.........this ones coming prospecting with me in my gold detecting kit due to its strength and ease of opening with only one hand should the situation arise with me urgently needing this function down a gold mine shaft here in Oz. ...Hoo Roo

Attachments

• P1010001_02.jpg
    P1010001_02.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 71
  • P1010002_02.jpg
    P1010002_02.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 88
  • P1010004_02.jpg
    P1010004_02.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 86
  • P1010005_02.jpg
    P1010005_02.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 69
  • P1010006_02.jpg
    P1010006_02.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Thanks for the info on a great little knife, Larry! I was lucky enough to grab one, although without a box or papers, for $12.50 on a BIN. Snatched it up real quick!!

...G'day Dave....considering MRP was a tad over US$100 when released in 2002/03 I reckon you did pretty well......there were a lot of knockers of Schrade knives in the final days....I reckon this little gem is fantastic....Hoo Roo

Around 1998 the "Outdoors Stores" in CT and NY were selling the "Clip-it" then this blade became the knife for rock climbers/hikers/ people who wished they were.

At the time I was a fan of customs - anyone else find that Schrade became more attractive after they became rare?

I think I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those Larry, I do like those newer models, definitely more on the cutting edge style wise (no pun intended:D )

Eric

Every time I see the newer production Schrade knives, especially those in the last 2-3 years of their production (2002-2004), I am always struck by the fact that Schrade was really making an effort to regain market share by producing new knife designs with new materials for the evolving US knife market, post 9/11.

Nowhere is this more clearly demonstrated than in this one knife, the Spitfire. It was clear they stepped outside their comfort zone of traditional patterns and slipjoint work knives, into the tactical world. This one knife is of such quality that it would do even Benchmade proud! One of my favorite locking systems for ease of one-handed use is the Axis Lock (invented by Bill McHenry and Jason Williams) and featured on many of Benchmade&#8217;s knives.

The lock on the Schrade Spitfire is as easy to use as the Axis Lock. As a knife user, the only difference obvious is that the release moves vertically on the Spitfire while the Axis Lock release on my Benchmade Mini Griptilian moves horizontally. The result is the same, a positive lockup of the blade and easy one-handed operation.

In the Spitfire, Schrade also stepped out of the traditional and into newer metals and new high tech handle materials. The blade is ATS-34 stainless. A definite quantum leap ahead of the Schrade + steel, which I believe was 440C. They also introduced titanium into the locking mechanism for added strength. The handle material was G-10. G-10 is an epoxy resin impregnated woven glass fabric. In layman&#8217;s terms, fiberglass micarta. These three materials; ATS-34, titanium and G-10 are what one would expect in a better custom knife, even today. To see them in a Schrade production knife six years ago, indicates to me that Schrade was really stepping up their game.

Even the design of the Spitfire takes in to account changing American tastes and even political correctness. It is compact in size, has a smaller. 2-inch blade, which appeals to those striving for a more &#8216;politically correct&#8217; knife. Even the design looks more like a tool than a threatening &#8220;big bad knife.&#8221; Yet the sturdy lock, better steel and the wide blade design with a handle that gives excellent grip all work together to give the user maximum cutting power in a small user-friendly package.

It is sad that we will never know how successful Schrade might have been if they had been allowed to survive two or three more years.

I have only seen one Spitfire for sale. I bought it.
If I see another, perhaps then I will have a EDC Spitfire.

Dale

Attachments

• Schrade Spitfire a.jpg
    Schrade Spitfire a.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Schrade Spitfire b.jpg
    Schrade Spitfire b.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Schrade Spitfire -tang mark side.jpg
    Schrade Spitfire -tang mark side.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Schrade Spitfire - tang pile side.jpg
    Schrade Spitfire - tang pile side.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 19
Good additional info on this little Schrade Gem Dale. Do you think the lanyard release is brilliant?..simple yet effective...did you work out immediately that you press down on the closed blade?...bit like the old Cut Co Linesman's knives..if you dont know it can be confusing....

Good info Larry, and no, I didn't figure that out.
My knife while new, did not have a box, nor did it have the lanyard with it.
Thanks for the info.

That was type same release used for the locking screwdriver blade on the first generation of US Army Signal Corps TL-29 knives;just applied to the lanyard release instead of the blade lock.
A brilliant adaptation of an old mechanism to a new generation of knives.

Dale

Last edited:
Is there evidence that the Spitfire was made 'in house' ?
or conversely, any info to suggest that it was a contract knife ? which would make sense for cost reasons. No other Schrade USA knife is built like this one.
roland

Originally supplied by lrv, Schrade New Products list for salesman:
CUSTOM KNIVES.
Spitfire LTD.
Specs: Catalog Code: SPF1LTD
Pricing Boxed Only Suggested Retail $115.
Net: $46.58
Dealer:$57.50
AVAILABILITY: Catalog Page December 26th 2002
Sales Samples February 2003
Production: June 2003

Description to Salesman: Seldom does a knife come along that takes your breath away. Schrade's new Spitfire LTD is beautifully designed with painstaking detail.
Its also precision engineered,in fact,patents are pending on the Spitfires newly invented locking mechanism and lanyard release. The ambidextrous locking mechanism is treated with titanium,helping to make it the strongest ever produced or tested by Schrade. The Spitfire is also convenient to carry and use as a simple squeeze of the hand on the closed Spitfire releases the lanyard mechanism. The ATS34, 2" blade is easy to open for righties or lefties alike.
The Spitfire LTD clearly demonstrates Schrade's serious committment to new designs,materials,and better products. Schrade made in the USA! <their exclamation mark not mine>.
The Uncle Henry 5UH Lockback was also introduced in that New Products release 1st half 2003...as was the I-Quip....'seldom does a product redefine a Marketplace and receive the types of accolades <from all the popular magazines including Time Popular Mechanics etc>
The new Schrade I-Quip possess such unique combination of features,it has created a whole new category......

I think you could say Schrade were working to their long term future with their research and development before they were cruelly chopped. Hoo Roo

Aw c'mon guys, stop it already, I can't take anymore!!!

Larry, thanks for posting the "Description to Salesman". too bad this Spitfire didn't dominate like it's British namesake.
I still wonder if it wasn't contracted out to perhaps Benchmade whose knives it does have some resemblance. I'm not trying to 'knock' Schrade; just the same 'wanting to know' as i have for all my Schrade knives.
The Spitfire is one i have yet to obtain. don't think i've ever seen one listed for sale.
roland

Roland, they were definitely made in house, in the same area that the Kious, Barnett, etc knives were made. I think it could be considered more a Custom Shop knife than one that was sent down the line (at least initially).

Eric

Thanks Eric. that really does show what a range of abilities the Schrade cutlers had.
In a post a few years back, Codger wrote that for the 60TX and 70TX, some of the parts (liners and maybe handles ?) were made 'overseas' and then the knives were assembled in the Schrade factory. This is what made me wonder about the Spitfire which is came out about the same time as these TX's.
roland

The spitfire was made in house and the blades were ground on production equipment as were the 6OTX and 7OTX blades.

I do not like you any more Larry, I have told John about you today. I told him, you are not my friend any more.
You will never sell that old Spitfire, I think the Spitfires where made in China, any-way.
However, I will pay about $25 for your old Spitfire - ONLY if it comes in a Schrade box...
I hope the coil falls off you glod detecter and your motor-home gets a flat tyre... Your once-time mate...Ken

Last edited:
:confused::confused:...you should stay off the XXXX Gold or Touhey's New mate..I think liquormortis is setting in;)......Hoo Roo

Re-birthed this thread as I mentioned in another thread the USA Schrade Spitfire SPF1 had the sharpest/sweetest blade of any Schrade I have used....really was unique design with its titanium treated locking mechanism.....

They were expensive relative to other Schrade folding blades in 2002, however superior materials were used....thread/photos for info...Hoo Roo

Back