Schrade Tang Stamp Chart

I hereby submit this to my fellow Schradians for educational purposes, discussion, and critique
2518604773_87dfefd2e0.jpg

Do the font types look correct?
The bottom 3 look like they the only ones with seriffed fonts?

So
In theory the COPE USA ones are worth more?
SUPPLY and demand?
Or, where they of inferior quality offsetting the added value from being scarce??
What is the Holy Grail for the COPE Schrades?

Trent,

It's looks great to me and will be a super reference for me.

Thanks,

Jackie

Very nice,looks great. I'm not to sure about the Schrade NY USA 8OT though,i thought that stamp was used around 83 or 84, any other input?

At the request of Grey Menace, please excuse me being quite anal, while I add input about the 1973 to 2004 SCHRADE stamps:

1973 to 2004 is a pretty broad time frame and most would like to narrow down the age of the knife some.

Let me present some examples of Old Timer tang stamps within the 1973 to 2004 years. In each of these examples, the first stamp shown is the 1973 Stamp that followed Schrade Walden or when the pattern was introduced (194OT), and the second stamp shown is the one used when the pattern ended:

Example 1: 34OT
34OT_3.jpg
34OT_2.jpg

3 Line Stamp with NY USA on line 2, and pattern on 3rd line
Typical 2 Line Stamp with pattern on 2nd Line

In the case of the 34OT, Schrade did not issue the knife in a 3 line version without NY in the second line.

Example 2: 194OT
194OT_3.jpg
194OT_2.jpg

3 Line Stamp, but no NY on 2nd Line

In the case of the 194Ot, Schrade did not issue the knife with a NY USA stamp.

Example 3: 8OT
8OT_3.jpg
8OT_2.jpg

2 Line Stamp, NY on 2nd line (pattern number is on back of tang, in the style of the Schrade Walden versions)

In the case of the 8OT, neither matches the one in the original graphic, and there well could have been a Schrade 8OT with a NY USA 2nd line, and the 8OT on the 3rd line, but I've not seen one for sure.

As another example, as far as I know, the 77OT came out in 1976, and it had the typical 2 Line Stamp during the entire production years, never utilizing NY or a 3 Line Stamp.

A couple more examples of Uncle Henry knives

Example 5: 897UH
897UH_3.jpg
897UH_2.jpg

This version was a 4 Line Stamp, prior to SCHRADE+
The typical 2 Line Stamp.

Example 6: 885UH
885UH_3.jpg
885UH_2.jpg

A 3 Line Stamp, no mention of STAINLESS or a +, but it is not Carbon

In each case, the first stamp is these examples came from a knife that was shipped in a Brown Two Piece Box with a felt covered blue (Old Timer) or red (Uncle Henry) insert.

The Open Stock knives (for example, jigged delrin and some yellow handled knives) followed the same stamping trend. I have numerous patterns of Open Stock Schrades with these same examples, depending on the pattern. Most of the Open Stock knives came over from Schrade Walden, so most of them are found with NY USA in the second line of the stamp, and some with the pattern stamped on the pile side.

In summary, and in my general observations, with the exception of SFO editions and LTD's, with post 1973 Schrades, the NY USA and 3 Line Stamps followed the Schrade Walden years, and were present in knives that spanned both era's, plus a few new patterns after 1973. I do not know when any particular pattern may have switched to the final version.

I would appreciate it if anyone has a SCHRADE Old Timer or Uncle Henry with a 3 Line Stamp, with or without NY if you would add to this list.

108OT (NY)
33OT (NY)
34OT (NY)
61OT
194OT
94OT
8OT (NY - pattern on back)
8OT (NY)
885UH (NY)

Enough on stamps for now, if you made it to the end of this obsessive post.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info very informative.I do have aSchrade over N.Y U.S.A over 8OT, so they are out there. The smooth red bone series of 1985 also has that same tang stamp.

Aha! It does exist. :thumbup:

Does your SCHRADE / NY USA / 8OT have the match strike pull?

Thawk, I have a full stop after Schrade+......and...and...shucks gee whillickers it is only a piece of fly crapp mate! :-}

P.S. Seriously it is really interesting mate. Hoo Roo

Yes ,.Thawk it does have the match striker. the smooth red bone series does not.I also have a yellow handled 8OT with 3 lines and smooth striker, just to complicate things even more ,ha ha ., happy collecting.

Yes ,.Thawk it does have the match striker. the smooth red bone series does not. I also have a yellow handled 8OT with 3 lines and smooth striker, just to complicate things even more ,ha ha ., happy collecting.

And I've now seen an brown delrin 8OT with 3 lines and a smooth striker too. I have an 881Y and with three lines and a smooth striker as well.

thawk the stamp freak

I feel your pain. About the only way I know of to make any sense of stamp chronology is to concentrate on one pattern at a time, buying NIB examples and using the associated box and papers to roughly date them through the names and logos, other knife patterns shown on the inserts. And collect every clear picture of the ones that get away. It takes a pretty large sampling to establish a chronology, much less associated benchmarks for dates. Don't ask how many 152OT's I own. But I can now tell roughly when one was made from the stamps.

Michael

Trent Rock. I have an UH885 Stockman that the tang stamp is:
Schrade
Walden
NY USA
Stainless
I note on your chart a similiar one for 1946-1973, except the NY/Stainless are reversed on your chart. Does this have an significance? The serial number of mine is 07069, does that mean it was made in July 69? Lastly, did Randall Knives ever sell Uncle Henry's? I ask as I think I remember buying it from Randall, my logic was if Randall sells it, it must be a good knife. Thanks, John

John,

You asked "did Randall Knives ever sell Uncle Henry's?" Yes, from 1971 into sometime in the mid to late 1980's (they were listed in the 27th catalog printing of mid 1984, but not in the 28th catalog printing of late 1988)...hope that helps ;)

Shel Wickersham

MP, thanks that does help. I went back to Vietnam in Jan 71 for my 4th tour. I was out at a Border Ranger Camp, no place to spend my money so I bought knives by mail. I was pretty sure I had bought that 885 from Randall, thanks for helping my memory along. John

Aha! It does exist. :thumbup:

Does your SCHRADE / NY USA / 8OT have the match strike pull?

Thawk , I have 2 8OT with matchstrike but different Tang marks ,

1- SCHRADE
WALDEN
N.Y. U.S.A.

with 8OT on reverse side of clip

this one came with the hinged box

2- SHRADE
N.Y. U.S.A.
8OT

I don't have any box or papers with this one

Thawk , I have 2 8OT with matchstrike but different Tang marks ,

1- SCHRADE
WALDEN
N.Y. U.S.A.

with 8OT on reverse side of clip

this one came with the hinged box

2- SHRADE
N.Y. U.S.A.
8OT

I don't have any box or papers with this one

I have 3 Schrade made "Old Times" made about 1970 for Belnap Hardware.
All 3 knives are "Schrade 8OTs with the Matchstrike pull" the tang stamp is:

JOHN PRIMBEL
BELKNAP. INC
U.S.A. On the overside it is stamped. 935.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=131&image_id=4193

Last edited:
I have a tang stamp with
SCHRADE
WALDEN
N.Y. U.S.A.
STAINLESS

There is no model number. It sort of looks like wood, but I assume it's some kind of bone - just pale. Any idea when they started inscribing the model numbers? I know it's 1947 or after, so I'm trying to get an upper cap.

Thanks!

Faerie

At the request of Grey Menace, please excuse me being quite anal, while I add input about the 1973 to 2004 SCHRADE stamps:

1973 to 2004 is a pretty broad time frame and most would like to narrow down the age of the knife some.

Let me present some examples of Old Timer tang stamps within the 1973 to 2004 years. In each of these examples, the first stamp shown is the 1973 Stamp that followed Schrade Walden or when the pattern was introduced (194OT), and the second stamp shown is the one used when the pattern ended:

Example 1: 34OT
34OT_3.jpg
34OT_2.jpg

3 Line Stamp with NY USA on line 2, and pattern on 3rd line

In the case of the 34OT, Schrade did not issue the knife in a 3 line version without NY in the second line.

Example 2: 194OT
194OT_3.jpg
194OT_2.jpg

3 Line Stamp, but no NY on 2nd Line

In the case of the 194Ot, Schrade did not issue the knife with a NY USA stamp.

Example 3: 8OT
8OT_3.jpg
8OT_2.jpg

2 Line Stamp, NY on 2nd line (pattern number is on back of tang, in the style of the Schrade Walden versions)

In the case of the 8OT, neither matches the one in the original graphic, and there well could have been a Schrade 8OT with a NY USA 2nd line, and the 8OT on the 3rd line, but I've not seen one for sure.

As another example, as far as I know, the 77OT came out in 1976, and it had the typical 2 Line Stamp during the entire production years, never utilizing NY or a 3 Line Stamp.

A couple more examples of Uncle Henry knives

Example 5: 897UH
897UH_3.jpg
897UH_2.jpg

This version was a 4 Line Stamp, prior to SCHRADE+

Example 6: 885UH
885UH_3.jpg
885UH_2.jpg

A 3 Line Stamp, no mention of STAINLESS or a +, but it is not Carbon

In each case, the first stamp is these examples came from a knife that was shipped in a Brown Two Piece Box with a felt covered blue (Old Timer) or red (Uncle Henry) insert.

The Open Stock knives (for example, jigged delrin and some yellow handled knives) followed the same stamping trend. I have numerous patterns of Open Stock Schrades with these same examples, depending on the pattern. Most of the Open Stock knives came over from Schrade Walden, so most of them are found with NY USA in the second line of the stamp, and some with the pattern stamped on the pile side.

In summary, and in my general observations, with the exception of SFO editions and LTD's, with post 1973 Schrades, the NY USA and 3 Line Stamps followed the Schrade Walden years, and were present in knives that spanned both era's, plus a few new patterns after 1973. I do not know when any particular pattern may have switched to the final version.

I would appreciate it if anyone has a SCHRADE Old Timer or Uncle Henry with a 3 Line Stamp, with or without NY if you would add to this list.

108OT (NY)
33OT (NY)
34OT (NY)
61OT
194OT
94OT
8OT (NY - pattern on back)
8OT (NY)
885UH (NY)

Enough on stamps for now, if you made it to the end of this obsessive post.

I have a tang stamp with
SCHRADE
WALDEN
N.Y. U.S.A.
STAINLESS

There is no model number. It sort of looks like wood, but I assume it's some kind of bone - just pale. Any idea when they started inscribing the model numbers? I know it's 1947 or after, so I'm trying to get an upper cap.

Thanks!

Faerie

What does the knife look like? A picture would be great. They started putting the number on the back tang around 1950, but they also added the U.S.A. to the stamping around the same time, but I've seen Uncle Henry 897UH knives stamped just like yours. They started making them in 1967.

Last edited:
Hi I am new to this forum & am enjoying reading all about these stamps. I have a three blade 899 that is double-stamped in a very odd way. The first stamp seems to be
upside down and then they stamped over it in the upright position. So I have U.S.A. stamped upside down and backwards on top, and stamped right on bottom. Is there
any demand for an item such as this?
Thanks for your response.
Watts-Barr K-Tradder

Back