Schrade+ Uncle Henry USA 897UH 3-Blade Pocket Knife

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS IS MY VERY FIRST POST HERE AND COULD YOU SEND A LINK TO WHERE I SHOULD BE...

I NEED SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THIS Schrade+ Uncle Henry USA 897UH 3-Blade Pocket Knife I FOUND . IT HAS CAPITAL U & H STAMPED ON 2 BLADES ,ALSO SCHRADE N.Y. U.S.A. STAINLESS 897UH ON THE 3RD BLADE. ALSO SERIAL NUMBER P2351 STAMPED INSIDE. I'VE LOOKED AND LOOKED BUT CAN'T FIND ANY WITH A BIG UH STAMPED ON ANY BLADES ...

PLEASE GIVE YOUR OPINIONS ABOUT AGE AND IF IT'S RARE OR COMMON .... THANKS

Most people hate reading stuff in capital letters. Use imgur etc. to post some pics and you will likely find the answers you seek.

WHAT'S IMGUR ??? DOES IT HAVE A SHORT CUT ???

THANK YOU

MR BILL

P.S. THANKS FOR UNDERSTANDING & I TYPE IN CAPS SO I CAN READ WHAT I'M WRITING ( I HAVE POOR EYESIGHT ) NOT OUT OF ANGER .

With your tang stamps the knife was made between 1973 and 1980. Nice knife, but in no way rare, they made hundreds of thousands of them during that time frame.

I don't know if the UH (Uncle Henry) stamps have any significance or not, probably not much. That pattern was marketed from 1973 to the close of the factory in 2004. They used an alphanumeric serial number system. After they made 10,000 knives, they started the next batch with the suffix "B" attached to the serial number. The third batch, had a suffix of "C" and so on. You can see that your "P" suffix would suggest that they had made quite a few by that time. I think they gave up sometime during the "Q." and did not serialize them anymore. A pure guess on my part would be sometime in the 1990s. Rare it is not; but a good knife, Grasshopper.

With your tang stamps the knife was made between 1973 and 1980. Nice knife, but in no way rare, they made hundreds of thousands of them during that time frame.
It has a fairly chronologically advanced serial number, Jeff. I said suffix earlier; I think I should have said prefix. Do you think they made more than 160,000 by 1980? I do not know.

I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR ANY UNCLE HENRY POCKET KNIFE WITH THE "BIG" UH STAMPED ON THE BLADE LET ALONE ON TWO BLADES . IF IT CAN'T BE SEEN ON ANY UNCLE HENRY POCKET KNIFES , MADE IN THE USA , ON THE INTERNET , MY COLLECTOR MIND WOULD SAY "THAT'S A RARE KNIFE " .... PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG , JUST SEND ME A LINK WITH ONE PICTURE ....

I'VE BEEN DOING THIS SENSE 1977 AND MAKING A GOOD LIVING , EBAY HAS MADE MY FAMILY VERY HAPPY AND COMFORTABLE . I'VE NEVER HAD A 9 TO 5 JOB AFTER GETTING OUT OF THE MARINES IN 1976... I GET NO SOCIAL SECURITY OR RETIREMENT CHECK

Cal, I don't believe the serial numbers went much into the 1980s, certainly not into the 1990s. I guess it could be as late as '82, but not likely.

Here's one, sold recently for $40 bucks: 897UH with large UH stamps

As TR mentioned, the "P" and 4-digit serial implies Schrade made 162,334 897UH knives prior to number P2351 [if I did the math right @ 9999 + (15 x 9999) + 2350]. I'm not sure exactly how many have this particular stamping but I would guess that many thousands were stamped like this.

I'd say this particular stamping is uncommon. I easily found three other examples by searching ebay today so "rare" is a stretch.

I also searched "schrade ny 897uh" on worthpoint and easily found 7 more examples. schrade ny 897uh - Worthpoint

...PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG , JUST SEND ME A LINK WITH ONE PICTURE ...

You're wrong. What do I win?

X9a48bn.jpg

pWRD49B.jpg

Last edited:
Back