Schrade (USA) and Related Question

afishhunter

Gold Member
Anyone know why SCHRADE (USA) and all the related companies were so secretive and hushed mouthed on what tang stamps were used and when?

Example:
Pre Reynolds Tobacco Old Timer Knife promotion Ulster (not an "Ulster Old Timer") Number 10 Barlow.

I "know" it is pre 1968 to 1970 production, because Schrade shut down Ulster sometime between 1968 and 1970. Ulster was gone by 1971. :(

Tang stamp is two lines:
"ULSTER/KNIFE USA" (sans serif)

That tang stamp isn't on any tang stamp chart I can find online. :(

I'm guessing pre 1968 ... but how pre is it? Was that stamp use in the post 1941 to the shut down in the 1960's era, or only during the 1960's? DaRned if I know. :(

Why was SCHRADE (USA) and all the related companies so secretive concerning tang stamps? :(
'Taint like they had anything to be ashamed of ... least not that I am aware of, at any rate ... (edit ... well ... maybe sticking with the Swendon Key construction after it was proven beyond a reasonable to be weaker than pinned construction ...)

Last edited:
They would have been amazed at your question. No one in the industry (at that time) ever dreamed that that sort of information would be of any interest whatsoever to buyers. They were selling tools.

They would have been amazed at your question. No one in the industry (at that time) ever dreamed that that sort of information would be of any interest whatsoever to buyers. They were selling tools.
I'm not sure about that.
Case, and a lot of others have always been forthcoming with tang stamp info. Even before they became "collectable".

I don't think that it was deliberate. I don't think they cared. Just not their business model.

Back