Schrade XT4 - The missing knife

Codger_64

The Imperial Schrade factory in Ellenville was running late on a lot of orders and planned introductions when the letter greeted arriving employees at the end of July, 2004. Tomorrow is your last day. The bank had called it's overdue loans which forced the company into receivership. A substantial order was ready to ship to their largest account, Walmart. This, the bank was told, would put them back in the black and allow them to pay the loans. No. The bank had gone as far as it was willing to go in granting extensions and the die was cast. Bankruptcy was unavoidable at that point, and the Trustee appointed a panel of vendors owed varying sums to oversee the liquidation of the corporation and all of it's assets. What followed three months later was an onsite auction of machinery, parts and materials, the intellectual property and factory and office furnishings. Happy 100th birthday Schrade.

As the years have passed, nearly four now, the flotsum and jetsum of the company has been seen by many of us as the two companies who bought the "works in progress", finished knives and such, sold off small lots to dealers large and small. Most of us have acquired some knives, and possibly a few mementos of the company such as advertising flyers, unfinished knife blanks, broken knives and rejects. A few truly unique knives have surfaced such as prototypes, knives from the fabled "Wall Collection" from the Schrade offices, and knives owned and collected by former employees, many of them made in small quantities for special local events.

I've keep my eyes open for a few patterns listed in the 2004 catalog which seldom surface, the mid-year closing cutting short their first year of production. Obviously the 100th Anniversary knives fall into this catagory. But there were several others whose brief appearance on the market makes them worth seeking. Some, such as the 24OTX, a SFO for Walmart, are attractive to even traditional slipjoint fans. Some, like the X-Timer XT-7B, 7OTX and SQ XTAC series don't attract much of a following and can still be bought cheap, though they are showing up much less frequently than in the past. A few have never been seen except in the 2004 catalog. One of those is the SQ598T, a titanium lined knife with ATS-34 blades. Another is the fixed blade XT4.

I've seen that line drawing of the XT4 in the 2004 shortline catalog on my desk for nearly four years now. "NEW! XT4 9" fixed blade, with sheath", Suggested retail $59.95" It had four small spun handle rivets on the black synthetic handle scales (Zytel?), a lanyard loop extending from the lower butt of the knife, three "lightening holes" piercing the blade above the choil, a sabre ground blade with the grind line rising above the sharp drop point tip.

A couple of years ago a former employee told us that there were four or five prototypes made, but they haven't surfaced that I have noted. The same former employee sent me an artist's conception drawing of the knife and that is as close as we have come to seeing the real knife. Until now.

I recently identified a blank which a forum member acquired from the Camillus auction as one of these knives. He has four of them, and more have been seen since then. Now, while this does answer the question of whether or not there was real intent to produce them, a slew of other questions are raised. Were they, like many other late Schrade knives, fine blanked? Or were these blanks so early in the production process that a blanking die had not yet been purchased and they were cut by laser or waterjet? How many blanks were produced? I have seen eight, plus the "five" prototypes mentioned makes at least a few more than a dozen. What became of the five prototypes? This wasn't strictly an SFO pattern like the proposed 152OTX which was rejected by Wal-Mart and picked up by United/Arrowhead after the Schrade closing. That knife never appeared in the catalog, and so far no prototypes or blanks have been seen. Why were these blanks found in the Camillus auction, not the Schrade auction? Were they slated to be blanked, assembled and finished at Camillus before Schrade closed? Or were they a part of the knives added to the Camillus auction when they were returned there from Texas?

I'll add to this when I have more information on the blanks. I have five on the way to me now.

Attachments

• XT4_catalog-big.jpg
    XT4_catalog-big.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 66
  • xt4-big.jpg
    xt4-big.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 72
  • XT4 Stamp 2.JPG
    XT4 Stamp 2.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 56
  • XT4 Proto Blank2.JPG
    XT4 Proto Blank2.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 73
Cool info, Codger! I've actually seen several of these blanks on ebay and wondered what they were, since I had never seen any production knife like them.

Dave

PS - if you ever decide to get rid of any of your five, I'd be interested in one. Wouldn't mind trying to make a knife of it.

Last edited:
Its certainly the Jet Jackson of the traditional Schrade Fixed Blades.Have we seen what the sheaths look like or did the knives only ever get to the blank stage ? All this talk of "X" with all the knives designations..... what was wrong with producing 'The New Timer' range..NT1,NT2 etc....this marketing ploy would have even been better than when they produced "3rd Generation" series.
Great in depth info as usual Codger and another insight into the final desperate days. Let's see one finished! Hoo Roo

... Let's see one finished! Hoo Roo

That may well happen. Two of the blanks have already been promised new homes with deserving friends. One of the remaining three will be sent to an interested talented maker to make a "Replica" based upon the original blank and the engineer's CAD drawing. I have no idea what it will involve to make those scales for a one-off. Or who will do the work yet.

No, I've never seen a picture of the proposed sheath, but since they did have an on-site sheath department, something could have been put together for the yet-to-surface prototypes. Or samples created by an outside source matching the existing X-Timer sheaths. That might be something to watch for.

Michael

Good news on the aquisitions Michael, I have often wondered on odd occasion looking at the 2004 catalogue if there were any XT4's ever made, at least halfway it would seem unless a complete one ever turns up. I would be obliged if on your surfing travels or elsewhere you come across any others for sale you may let me know.

Russell

Dave and Rusty, I will keep your interests in mind. I am still watching closely for more, if only to get a general idea of how many came out of the Camillus auction. Quite a few Schrade blades have shown up recently from that sale.

There are other development blades out there. I actually expected to see some of them appear first.

Hopefully one of the two collectors I am sending these two blanks to will do some better pictures of them. And I also hope to get more of the production story before long.

If anyone has a suggestion of a skilled maker who might be interested in finishing and handling the replica, I'd like to hear about them.

I am a shoe-string collector and seldom have the funds left after doing research to indulge myself in custom work. In fact, I only have one custom at the moment, a Gabon Ebony handled Fiddleback Nessmuk, and am working with a maker now designing a second, a replica turn of the century (last turn, not this one) outdoorsman's knife with Amboyna burl handle. Yes, I am an exotic-wood-aholic.

Michael
PS- I hear that there is some exotic burl wood coming from the Aussie gold fields now.....:D

Codger...
Do you have any information on the SX23 Badger fixed blade. Was this knife
ever made in Ireland. I saw a print of this knife in a Schrade catalog (2003 or 2004?) and the tang had Ireland printed on it. I can't find one made in Ireland. They are abundant from China. I have the folding badger SX4 and it stamped Ireland. Maybe you can shed some light on this for me. Thanks .
Larry

Several collectors have posted here in the past looking for these knives. IIRC, they were only made briefly in Ireland before production shifted to the Pacific Rim. To the best of my recollection, the collector who might be most likely to know the story of these is Mr. Scarborough over in AAPK. I seem to remember him helping at least one collector obtain one some time back.

Michael

The first of the five blanks has arrived. It is rather coarsely "plain" blanked, not fineblanked or cut by waterjet, laser or wire edm. Of course the length is over that stated in the catalog as it includes the nib on the tip. On this example, it can be seen that the sharp ridge left by the blanking process on blade right has been ground off. However the edges of the blank have not been ground flat, blanking "flash" still apparant all around the perimeter. The blank does not appear to have been heat treated. So it appears that this first blank has only recieved one or two operations after primary blanking, flat grinding of both sides.

As seen in the photographs, all nine holes were produced in the blanking process ( They were pierced from blade right while the outside shape was cut from blade left). The three upper accent holes on the blade, two forward rivet holes, two rear rivet holes and the lower thong hole in the butt protrusion are obvious in their purpose in the design. The reason for the odd nineth hole in the forward handle area is not immediately clear, however a "ghost" of an annular mark the size of a dime around the perimeter of the odd hole on blade left suggests that it was used for an attachment point to a fixture holding the blade for flat grinding of the ridge of metal left by the blanking process. There are also ghosts around all nine holes and opposite the tang stamp on blade left which show that that side of the blank had also been lightly ground to affect flattening of metal pushed out when the hole and tang stamp were added.

The tangstamp, although different from that shown in the engineering concept drawing, is present in the planned location, also as seen in the photographs, SCHRADE+ over U.S.A. without the pattern designation, XT4.

Even without the handle scales and final shaping of the blade's tang, the handle has a pleasing fit in the hand, and I do not miss the use of a guard. The lower area of the handle swell provided for wrapping one's fingers between the choil and the butt protrusion fits me well, but a person with larger hands might find the space confining and cramped. My thumb falls naturally on the recess provided in the upper thumb ramp, smooth and without the thumb grooves I have come to expect on most of the Old Timer knives such as the venerable 15OT.

The engineering drawing does not show that there was a plan to use a subsequent broaching die on the thumb ramp. No doubt the grip would be greatly enhanced with the addition of even relatively thin handle scales, though I have nothing to indicate the actual thickness and contour of the intended scales other than the elevation view engineering drawing.

Michael

Well, I got several of these blanks off ebay, and finally sent on to the Muskrat Man. On this one, I told him to use linen micarta for the handles and completely cover the tang. He did a beautiful job, and now I am sending him a second blank. This one will be done to the drawings Codger has found to reflect waht they intended to release. I will post pics of that when done.

Knives3104.jpg

:thumbup:dang that is super!! what a goodlooking knife!! nice job from both of you, the fully covered tang is perfect. nice choice of handle and color. i know the schrade gods are smiling!!!!!!!:)

Superb Dave! I'm glad the blank turned out so well, MM does some nice work, the blade grind looks awesome. :thumbup:

Russell

Boy this has been very interesting thank you so much for the posting . I have really enjoyed reading this.

That knife looks great Dave! And kudos to MM. Very nicely done. Any chance you have a picture of the blank? I'm on the same page with Rusty that blade grind. :thumbup:

That knife looks great Dave! And kudos to MM. Very nicely done. Any chance you have a picture of the blank? I'm on the same page with Rusty that blade grind. :thumbup:

Hal,
Check Codger's original post at the top of this thread for pics of the blank.

Thanks guys! Nice vision on the finished product Dave. I do believe that dog will hunt! :D

Kaleb did a nice job on that! :thumbup::thumbup:
Excellent job as a matter of fact.
I have a couple of them that I intend to finish myself, one of these years. :D

Dale

Back