1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Schrade's (Chinese) Razor Blade Stainless

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Captain O, May 21, 2015.

1. MarkPinTx

MarkPinTx

Aug 21, 2003
    Sweet! Got one with the double edge razor image too?

2. MarkPinTx

MarkPinTx

Aug 21, 2003
    And on the razor steel for conventional knives, you guys are, as usual, right. I guess I should have qualified, "razor steel heat treated as a razor" would make a crummy general knife steel.

At least, my experience with double and single edge razors and a friend who dropped his straight razor, which shattered a lot like glass, indicates that they typically are pretty brittle, which usually, but not necessarily, goes along with hardness. Surprised that 62 is an or the HRC for razors, but I suppose mass produced blades may be softer than say a straight razor for manufacturing purposes.

3. It may be that the razor blades are assumed to be taken higher in hardness. In looking up info on the Sandvik steel, I noticed they maintain two separate pages of tech info for 13C26 steel. One is specifically listed for knives, and the other is for their 13C26 razor blade strip steel. The 62 HRC upper limit value is listed on the knife steel page (they list a range of HRC 55-62 for 13C26 knife blades). The page for the razor blade strip steel doesn't show any recommended or allowable hardness values or limits; I'm inclined to believe it's because it's up to the individual razor manufacturers to take it up as hard as they see fit.

I can understand the justification for the recommended upper hardness limits of the knife steel though, due to the obvious differences in how a knife is used (cutting/slicing, chopping, batoning, etc.), where toughness and resistance to breakage is a priority above edge-holding alone (as with a razor blade, with a very limited and predictable use). Razor blades are still much cheaper than knife blades, and much more expendable if they happen to break/chip at higher hardness.

David

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  4. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    Here is an Imperial version of that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. thawk

thawk

Oct 28, 2006

Here is the Schrade Walden version with the double edge razor.

[​IMG]

This version has the grooved bolsters and red inked stainless engraving on the shield.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2015