Schrades...... I'm Still confused! Date of Production on a Schrade 885UH

I've read many post on here regarding these knives but I'm still confused as to how to narrow down the production date. I have an Uncle Henry Signature Series 885 UH. It is in a brown box with a red insert liner. The tang stamp reads Schrade + on the top line, and USA 885 UH on the second line. I also have the original paperwork in the box. It refers to it as "Professional Cattleman's knife" with high carbon stainless blades. I'm really curious as to when this particular knife may have been produced, or any other information that someone may have. It has a serial # stamped inside the brass liner, J75411, if that helps. Thanks in advance.

The requested information is so specific that I am going to move this to the Schrade Collectors forum. Not as much traffic, but more Schrade experts.

I've read many post on here regarding these knives but I'm still confused as to how to narrow down the production date. I have an Uncle Henry Signature Series 885 UH. It is in a brown box with a red insert liner. The tang stamp reads Schrade + on the top line, and USA 885 UH on the second line. I also have the original paperwork in the box. It refers to it as "Professional Cattleman's knife" with high carbon stainless blades. I'm really curious as to when this particular knife may have been produced, or any other information that someone may have. It has a serial # stamped inside the brass liner, J75411, if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Just a ballpark guess of late 1970's to early 1980's. That is based on a combination of the tang stamp and the box. Someone may be able to date the serial number, not me.

Hi from Australia:
Schrade over the years made some good knives.
However, they were not very good when it came to recording information.
The 885UH was made from 1973 to 2004.
The first 885UHs were numbered, the rear brass liners were milled [jimping]
And the nail-pull was very long. I would say your knife is mid 1970's... Ken
medium

886UH made by Camillus on the left. Early Schrade 885UH #69033 on the right and above.
The small box in the center, was use in the 1980's with the blue insert.

medium

Last edited:
The numbering for warranty went like this:

000001-999999
A00001-A99999
B00001-B99999

And so forth. You can count the number of units produced before your J75411

Thank you Codger! Just to be clear, each year of production the serial# started with a different letter? That would put mine around '83-'84 if I understand correctly.

Thank you Codger! Just to be clear, each year of production the serial# started with a different letter? That would put mine around '83-'84 if I understand correctly.

No. It started when the *99999 was reached. Changed after each 100,000 knives of that pattern produced. Regardless of year. At some point they gave up serializing on regular production knives and only serialized limited production knives.

No. It started when the *99999 was reached. Changed after each 100,000 knives of that pattern produced. Regardless of year. At some point they gave up serializing on regular production knives and only serialized limited production knives.
You would think some one remembers making that knife, if you could find them; they may remember when it was made. :confused:
Codger, would the paper-work help date an early 885UH... Ken

You would think some one remembers making that knife, if you could find them; they may remember when it was made. :confused:
Codger, would the paper-work help date an early 885UH... Ken
Yes, often the packaging and papers offer good clues for dating via copyrights, logos and slogans.

Just a ballpark guess of late 1970's to early 1980's. That is based on a combination of the tang stamp and the box. Someone may be able to date the serial number, not me.
I have a uncle henry the has 885 UH and the paper that came with in. It has a New York address on it. Still in the box and never used. Still looks brand new. Can you tell me about how much it's worth. It's a nice size knife.

eBay is always a good way to check on prices.
I always find, if you sell anything - just look in your hand, and count the money.

[QUOTE="Brancall, Can you tell me about how much it's worth. It's a nice size knife.[/QUOTE]

Back