Score! A perfect set From Nick Allen.

I just received the second knife of the set that Nick (NWA) made for me and man am I stoked! This is a GREAT utility set and just right for any tasks I can think of. The larger of the two is only slightly modified from one of his existing designs and he had named it the Scout. Some of you may recognize it as a slightly shorter version of one of this year's Blade Forums survival knives. The smaller of the two was the product of a series of emails we exchanged over the last couple of months and it seemed only logical that we name it the Mini Scout.

They are made of 0-1 steel that Nick differentially hardened to 59 RC. The blades have a sweet hammon. The handles are of black and green micarta. The ergos of Nick's handles are very good, providing a "locked in" feel in every grip I use.

The sheaths are [searching for a worthy superlative here] well... excellent. Simple, functional, durable and beautiful.
Nick hardens the leather with a hot bees wax and mink oil mix and bone folds it around the knife while it sets up. The result is a beautifully tooled leather that is as hard as kydex. I know some of you may be cringing and sure that this process will yield a melted mess if left on the dashboard but after 2 months of use in the summer I have yet to experience this and I don't think that Nick's process is susceptible to it.

The blades are flat ground with a 20 degree final bevel (I think). Being made of 0-1 tool steel, they will take on an honest patina with use and the Scout has already started to acquire one as you'll see in the pictures to follow.

The fit and finish are top notch. These knives are a pleasure to hold and use.

Here are the dimensions:

Scout:

Blade;
4 X 1 1/4 inches overall with 3 3/4 inches sharpened. Thickness at the spine is just under 3/16 inch

Handle;
4 3/4 long and ~7/8 thick

Overall length;
8 3/4 inches

Mini Scout:

Blade;
3 X 1 1/8 inches overall with 2 15/16 inches sharpened. Thickness at the spine is just under 1/8 inch

Handle;
3 7/8 long and ~3/4 thick

Overall length;
6 7/8 inches

And now, on to the pictures...

Scouts01.jpg

Scouts03.jpg

Scouts04.jpg

Scouts02.jpg

Scouts05.jpg

Comments welcome.

Sean

Comments welcome.

Sshhhhhh!

I haven't had a chance to pick up one of Nicks knives yet. If you run around telling everyone what a great job he does, everyone will want one and I'll be on a waiting list :p.

Congrats on a great set. Keep us posted on their performance.

Thanks,
cs

There is something extremly pleasing about the ricasso on these knives, beautiful.:thumbup:

Back