Scrapper in M4 is amazing

I picked up the Big Chris Scrapper in M4 that was for sale last week and I'm really glad that I did.
I just used it to reduce a few dozen cardboard boxes down to panels and the pieces filled a couple of 85 gallon recycling bins.
I've done this with a lot of knives, but this is the first time that a knife ended the task as sharp as it started.
The ergonomics are fantastic, the geometry glides through cardboard, and it looks pretty dang cool as well.
Hats off to Big Chris, this one is simply amazing!

Fancier,
That is so great to hear. I am glad that you are enjoying the performance.
The heat treat for that knife was optimized for edge holding and the grind was optimized for cutting and slicing.
I used it to process a good bit of cardboard as well while in my possession.
It's great that you are enjoying using it.

Im jealous, looks great!

I saw that one too and was sorely tempted.... M4 is incredible steel!

Thanks guys. I will have a couple in thin 10V later this year.

M4 is pretty awesome, that Scrapper renewed my respect for M4 steel.

There will definitely be more M4 coming out of my shop in the future.

Hi Chris, this looks like a great knife, so could you please elaborate on which steel is best for which purpose? For example, I am looking for an EDC knfie that is great in the kitchen, but some say that not all steels are equal in the kitchen for they leave metallic taste in food or stain too fast, etc. For example, how 10V or M4 would compare with S90V or S110V as their use in kitchen is concerned?

Also your blades made of 10V are thinner than same blades made of other steels. Is there any significant advantage in cutting/slicing performance?

And by the way, I think it would be great if you could share, in a special thread, your general thoughts on different steels based on your own experience with knives of different blade geometry and made for different purposes.

Thanks,
Anton

Last edited:
Hi Chris, this looks like a great knife, so could you please elaborate on which steel is best for which purpose? For example, I am looking for an EDC knfie that is great in the kitchen, but some say that not all steels are equal in the kitchen for they leave metallic taste in food or stain too fast, etc. For example, how 10V or M4 would compare with S90V or S110V as their use in kitchen is concerned?

Also your blades made of 10V are thinner than same blades made of other steels. Is there any significant advantage in cutting/slicing performance?

And by the way, I think it would be great if you could share, in a special thread, your general thoughts on different steels based on your own experience with knives of different blade geometry and made for different purposes.

Thanks,
Anton

Anton,
It really depends on what you are wanting. It is really splitting hairs when trying to compare M4 with 10V.
I have used both M4 and 10V along with 3V and 4V as well as several other carbon steels in the kitchen and never noticed them imparting a bad taste to the food.
On some of the simpler carbon steels like O1, 1084, 52100, and Blue #2 I did notice them staining and discoloring the food, mostly onions and potatoes, on their first use. After that they developer a patina and that was no longer an issue. The biggest and main difference I can see with having an S110V or S90V knife in the kitchen is the lack of care and maintenance that is needed. With M4, 10V, 3V, 4V, or any of the other carbon steels listed above they need to wiped clean as soon as possible after use.

There is a big difference in cutting and slicing performance when going to super thin steel. Even with a short flat grind on .065" steel, the edge geometry is typically better than that of a full height ground knife in 1/8" Add that to the high hardness that I like to run them at so I can grind the edges really thin to improve cutting performance even more. Also since the stock is thinner there is less steel to push through once a cut is started so a deeper cut is generally accomplished with less effort.

A separate post discussing the different steels I use and what my impressions are is a great idea.
It is definitely something I will work on putting together.

Let us know if you have any other questions or comments.

Thanks,
Anton

I will tell you from experience, most any knife Big Chris makes is excellent in the kitchen. I've got several of Big Chris's knives and have used them all in the kitchen. The last knife I ordered from Chris, he asked me what I was going to use it for, which is medium/light use. He made me a thinner S90V blade and it is a great knife. I bought the test knife in 4V from Chris, it is a beast and great in the kitchen.

Back