Scratched up Ebay find for EDC

Have any of you bought a nice knife that is not perfect for an EDC. I just picked up a really nice Marbles Stag Sowbelly for around $20. The problem is that it looks like the large blade was sharpened by someone in grade 5 learning to use a stone. Oh well, it is nice knife and will serve me well.

Have any of you bought a nice knife that is not perfect for an EDC. I just picked up a really nice Marbles Stag Sowbelly for around $20. The problem is that it looks like the large blade was sharpened by someone in grade 5 learning to use a stone. Oh well, it is nice knife and will serve me well.

Was it listed as new?

I have noticed that some of the imported slipjoints I own are not polished too well as you get closer to the edge. The edge grind is OK , but there's a lot of fine scratches near the edge. ( like a haze above the edge). I've noticed this with several brands.

for an edc beater i don't mind scratches but blade play drives me crazy. it's surprising how many blades are defaced by improper sharpening. enjoy it.

In our modern age, even tiny scratches can be viewed as defects, but we're spoiled. Fifty years ago, tool marks weren't uncommon with blades and tools produced by hand. And yes, it's possible your knife was mangled by its previous owner. Perhaps he couldn't get it as sharp as he'd wanted and gave up. I know some people who get a little wear on their knife and they get rid of it. Seems they want it to always be pristine.

I've got another friend, though, who's a photographer. The first thing he does when he gets a new camera is to take a nail and scratch it up. In other words, he mars it on purpose. His rationale is that it keeps people from stealing it. He used to have a lot of cameras stolen when he'd put them down. Although what he did really rubbed me the wrong way, I have to say it worked. He could put one of those cameras down and no one would even try to steal it. He used his camera as a tool and didn't care a whit for cosmetic appeal.

It's pretty easy to get a good deal on a perfectly functional knife that's seen some hard use. Me, I'm into the cosmetic appeal of knives, guns, cameras, etc. I'd never mar any of them but, on the other hand, I do use my knives. I try to keep them nice, but I don't obsess over it. At least very much. I will use polish to keep them looking nice and would likely apply black paint or ink to streaks in some of my black, or blued, knives.

Was it listed as new?

I have noticed that some of the imported slipjoints I own are not polished too well as you get closer to the edge. The edge grind is OK , but there's a lot of fine scratches near the edge. ( like a haze above the edge). I've noticed this with several brands.

No it was not listed as new. There was a good photo of the blade too. So I knew what I was geting The knife is tight with no play. I am happy with it....for the money I paid.

No it was not listed as new. There was a good photo of the blade too. So I knew what I was geting The knife is tight with no play. I am happy with it....for the money I paid.

You'll find the sowbelly to be a great pattern, they seem to feel just right in the hand. I have a few Bulldog sowbellys.

Back